Tips for woofers/mics/amplification and impedance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hallo everyone. I'm currently working on a couple of projects and i've
got several doubts regarding amplification and impedance. long story short:
i have a DYH-810 8'' woofer and i'm trying to understand what kind of amp should i connect, and that is where understanding impedance really comes into play. Since the woofer is 4OHM, i suppose i should connect an amp with an output impedance which is LOWER than that, am i correct? this statement comes because i used a small tube amp which i have, which has an output impedance of 51OHM and the efficiency of the woofer was *really* poor. also: i've got a number of contact mics(piezo discs) and for another project i have to use one as a mic and one in output, as a sortof speaker. so question is: what kind of amplification should i use for the "output contact mic" and for the "input contact mic", so to speak? should i always follow the low-to-high impedance combination? thanks in advance guys

Regarding the speaker , as long as the spec of the amp states that the impedance range is from 4 ohms you won't have a problem. Valve amps are different , they have an output transformer and it's important the speaker connected matches the output impedance of the transformer. Some valve amp transformers have a number of impedance taps so that the speaker can be matched.

Can't help you with the mics , never did much with them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.