Temperature setting for soldering? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th December 2009, 09:19 AM   #21
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

eutectic solders are virtually a must for electronics work.
63/37 is the cheapest and easiest to use. melts @ 361degF

That 62/36/2ag is very good but quite a bit more expensive. and melts @ 354degF

Don't use lead free for home use. Leave that to the factories that are forced into using it.
Old 4th December 2009, 09:49 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Little tip when soldering RCA plugs , if u have one , push the plug into a socket before soldering , holds everything in place if they are inclined to soften a bit.
Old 4th December 2009, 10:15 AM   #23
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Proper solder for electronics is not lead free and not silver. I use Autosol RA 2% flux 0.7mm from Warton Metals Solders, Cored Solder Wire, Solderpastes, Fluxes, Rosin Free Solders and Lead-Free Solders you can buy in small quantity or a reel.
Old 4th December 2009, 10:52 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

I've always used Savbit by Multicore Solders Ltd.
Old 5th December 2009, 09:41 AM   #25
uplees8 is offline uplees8  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the information, I will look into it. I think it was threads on the net that led me toward silver solder in the first place... You can read and read, but in the end you just have to have a go and find out the hard way I guess.
Old 5th December 2009, 11:04 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplees8 View Post
Thanks for the information, I will look into it. I think it was threads on the net that led me toward silver solder in the first place... You can read and read, but in the end you just have to have a go and find out the hard way I guess.
there is nothing wrong with including silver in the solder.
Even better is including copper like the savbit, but whether it's copper and/or silver try to find a true eutectic.
Old 10th December 2009, 01:43 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Don't use lead free for home use.
Inside the EU, that's all you can get (legally). It's a PITA to work with. I have to get another solder station because the one I got initially doesn't get hot enough.

Bonus question for the thread - is it a bad idea to mix lead and lead-free solders? IE using lead-free to service a leaded solder board?
Old 10th December 2009, 01:54 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

leaded solder is not illegal, nor is it illegal to sell it and finally it is not illegal to use it.

If you need to declare your product Rohs compliant then there are rules to follow. If you don't need to be Rohs compliant then those rules do not apply.

I believe one of our solder experts (John?) said it is a very bad practice to mix solders.
Old 10th December 2009, 01:58 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

doomlord, leaded solder is legally available inside EU. It's just not allowed to be used in certain commercial products, like white ware, consumer electronic stuff etc.
Quote:
Bonus question for the thread - is it a bad idea to mix lead and lead-free solders? IE using lead-free to service a leaded solder board?
yes bad idea...use leaded solder,it is explicitly allowed in repairing old pre-rohs stuff.
regards
Old 10th December 2009, 10:30 PM   #30
uplees8 is offline uplees8  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Amazed at how complicated solder can get...

I have spent hours finding out what I can about solder. I thought it was the silver or non-silver lead free stuff from Maplins, how wrong can you be?

I found out that lead free is only compulsory (presumably to commercial repairs) in repairs to products post 2006 sometime, and new commercial production (sorry for the vagueness). Us DIYers are free to use tin/lead/fluffy dog in any proportion you can find and care to play with. I found an interesting article:

http://www.dklmetals.co.uk/PDF%20Fil...torfiction.pdf

Apologise if that doesn't work as a link, never done this before, but I found it interesting reading regarding eutectic and ingredients, and especially the corrosive action of silver on the soldering equipment as I struggle to keep my tips shiny despite doing what I am supposed to.

In the end I found solder at Farnell, a few to experiment with, there is so much choice I was losing the will to live, the only eutectic they sell is lead free with a high melting point, but I'm going to try it, I cannot find 63/37 tin/lead in the UK it's all in the US and it seems like a big - to me - import levy. So I have some Savbit and some cheap 60/40 as well.

Now to find some things to experiment on.

Hide this!Advertise here!