Tips on making my amplifier louder? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2009, 07:19 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie00boy View Post
Chips will not cope with this load, you need a discrete design, something special.
Depends on the chip though. I think the best option for him would be a Tripath TK2050 based design. Probably beats any discrete or chipamp design, no matter what money you throw at it too.

Last edited by Saturnus; 16th November 2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old 16th November 2009, 07:20 PM   #12
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleaman View Post
ok, now run that on a tub amp. I believe 4 ohm was meant for car audio to keep the current and voltage at a certain level for power reasons.
Yes, to get more power out of a low voltage, a car 12V battery. Essentially the same issue as what this guy has.
Old 16th November 2009, 07:22 PM   #13
Xoc1 is offline Xoc1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I am trying to create a warble tone at 115 dB at 10 feet.
What frequencies are you trying to reproduce with the warble tone?
High volume requires efficient speakers - This may be possible with a limited bandwidth of frequencies.
Old 16th November 2009, 07:34 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoc1 View Post
What frequencies are you trying to reproduce with the warble tone?
High volume requires efficient speakers - This may be possible with a limited bandwidth of frequencies.
I just assumed it was for an alarm.
Old 16th November 2009, 07:36 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleaman View Post
I don't think these words go in a sentence.!
The Eminence Alpha-6C is a fairly high efficiency 4 Ohm midrange. It's also fairly flat and maybe tolerable sounding. But it is not efficient enough for 115dB from split 15 volt supplies.

Last edited by Andrew Eckhardt; 16th November 2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 16th November 2009, 07:37 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
Depends on the chip though. I think the best option for him would be a Tripath TK2050 based design. Probably beats any discrete or chipamp design, no matter what money you throw at it too.
Will that run from +-15 Volts? I thought he had a required supply limitation for some reason.
Old 16th November 2009, 07:49 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Eckhardt View Post
Will that run from +-15 Volts? I thought he had a required supply limitation for some reason.
It'll run on anything from about 10V to 40V but with a 4 Ohms load and bridged his 30V supply will be just right as the chip is limited to 100W output.

Quote:
The Eminence Alpha-6C is a fairly high efficiency 4 Ohm midrange. It's also fairly flat and maybe tolerable sounding. But it is not efficient enough for 115dB from split 15 volt supplies.
Just depends on how many you use

But horn designs is a far better option, for example the DR250 (http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/DR250.html) will have 105dB/w/m with a fairly standard 10" PA driver. Only takes 10 Watts to get that to produce 115dB at 1m ... or roughly 90 Watts for 115dB at 10 feet. Build the version with 2 10" PA drivers and 115dB at 10 feet is easily within reach on the afore mentioned amplifier on a 30V supply.

Last edited by Saturnus; 16th November 2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 16th November 2009, 07:56 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Every 3dB up the power requirement doubles. With such severely limited voltage it probably makes sense to focus on speaker efficiency since the amplifiers will vary performance by a piece of a dB into 8 ohms. What you'd really like is a speaker that will give you that much sound pressure with a couple watts... like a compression driver and horn.

OOOps . excuse me !! Got mixed up with detectable increase of sound level by the human ear , which is 2db
Old 16th November 2009, 08:03 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermal runaway View Post
OOOps . excuse me !! Got mixed up with detectable increase of sound level by the human ear , which is 2db
No biggie. It looks like we're running away with this guy's thread anyway. He wasn't real clear about his objectives.

Hide this!Advertise here!