Tips on making my amplifier louder?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am trying to create a warble tone at 115 dB at 10 feet.

I have been playing around with several different amplifiers (tda2003, tda2030, and tda2040), none of which have been able to give me the volume I need for this project. I heard 115 dB at best.

I am limited to a +/- 15VDC rail voltage and I am currently using a 8 ohm stereo speaker with a horn.

Does anyone have any tips (should I look into getting a different horn?) or alternative amplifiers that could give me the volume I need?

Every 3dB up the power requirement doubles. With such severely limited voltage it probably makes sense to focus on speaker efficiency since the amplifiers will vary performance by a piece of a dB into 8 ohms. What you'd really like is a speaker that will give you that much sound pressure with a couple watts... like a compression driver and horn.

95dB/W drivers are easy to find and not too expensive.
100dB/W speakers are getting expensive and more difficult to source.
105dB/W drivers are available but tend to be very expensive.

100W into 100dB/W @1m drivers will give 120dB@1m, this reduces to about 110dB @3m. I think you have done well to achieve 115dB already.

95dB/W drivers are easy to find and not too expensive.
100dB/W speakers are getting expensive and more difficult to source.
105dB/W drivers are available but tend to be very expensive.

100W into 100dB/W @1m drivers will give 120dB@1m, this reduces to about 110dB @3m. I think you have done well to achieve 115dB already.

Good food for him! I did this long time ago, loved the fact that i don't need megawatts now to run and listen to music, reality shows that using efficient speakers and some nice amplifiers is pleasant to listen to and enjoy.!

Will that run from +-15 Volts? I thought he had a required supply limitation for some reason.

It'll run on anything from about 10V to 40V but with a 4 Ohms load and bridged his 30V supply will be just right as the chip is limited to 100W output.

The Eminence Alpha-6C is a fairly high efficiency 4 Ohm midrange. It's also fairly flat and maybe tolerable sounding. But it is not efficient enough for 115dB from split 15 volt supplies.

Just depends on how many you use :D

But horn designs is a far better option, for example the DR250 (http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/DR250.html) will have 105dB/w/m with a fairly standard 10" PA driver. Only takes 10 Watts to get that to produce 115dB at 1m ... or roughly 90 Watts for 115dB at 10 feet. Build the version with 2 10" PA drivers and 115dB at 10 feet is easily within reach on the afore mentioned amplifier on a 30V supply.

Last edited:
Every 3dB up the power requirement doubles. With such severely limited voltage it probably makes sense to focus on speaker efficiency since the amplifiers will vary performance by a piece of a dB into 8 ohms. What you'd really like is a speaker that will give you that much sound pressure with a couple watts... like a compression driver and horn.

OOOps . excuse me !! Got mixed up with detectable increase of sound level by the human ear , which is 2db :eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.