Help with trimming wood Veneer. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th October 2009, 10:23 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help with trimming wood Veneer.

Help! I applied my wood veneer with contact cement and am having some troubles trimming it. I've got a knife and I'm trying to run it 90 degrees to the veneer but it's 'splintering' and tearing up around where the edge is. I'm fairly certain I got a good bond with the contact cement.

Help!
Old 8th October 2009, 10:37 PM   #2
mrevie is offline mrevie  Australia
diyAudio Member

How sharp is the knife? If the veneer is splinting then the knife must be catching... I've used a scalpel before with great success.
Old 8th October 2009, 10:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

It's a new (albeit cheap) utility knife.

Do you cut all the way through the veneer with one sweep? Do you take several passes? Do you 'saw' at it?
Old 8th October 2009, 11:02 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Nah, I don't saw. It's pretty tough to do it in one sweep. I usually go over a particular section very carefully, gradually getting deeper. In such a way you're not applying too much force to the veneer and splitting it.
Old 8th October 2009, 11:23 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

there are available router bits that are made to trim veners. You can try to use a small plane and then fine sandpaper. Very coarse sand paper followed by fine sand paper works but takes the longest. A very sharp chisel will work if you don't have a plane. A new chisel will have to be sharpened. They are not very sharp when bought from a store. I have used all of the methods. Using a router is fastest but you will need some practice first or you can destroy your project in a second or less. I remade all of the kitchen cabinets in our house using oak plywood and used several hunded feet of oak iron on vener for the edges. I used the chisel and sandpaper method with excellent results. When you rub your finger from one edge to the other you should not feel the veneered edge.
Old 8th October 2009, 11:52 PM   #6
mattmcl is offline mattmcl  United States
diyAudio Member

If you are cross cutting (going against the grain) you need a very sharp knife. You can put a piece of masking tape right along your cut line, which will decrease the splintering- apply the tape gently, and be careful when you pull it back up.

I'm veneering my speakers right now as well, I decided to rout a 1/4" groove along the edge and glue in strips of wood, then round them over. This also prevents edge damage when you move the speakers or whatever.
Old 9th October 2009, 04:25 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. Unfortunately I'm going to have to stop for the time being. Just had a cold snap and I can't get the garage warm enough. (The contact cement I have wants to be above 16 Celsius with my space heater running I can only get it up to about 5 degrees.)
Old 9th October 2009, 07:14 PM   #8
mattmcl is offline mattmcl  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm running into the same thing. I'll tell you one thing- do NOT be stingy with the contact cement. I've had a few bubbles appear and I think it's because I was trying to stretch the can of cement out. If you do get some, cut a slit along the grain the whole length of the bubble, in the middle. Then sneak some wood glue in there and clamp it down. Someone suggested ironing the bubbles, but I haven't tried that.
Old 10th October 2009, 01:14 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Dear god that's cold... It's between 20 and 35 degrees C year round where I am.
Old 10th October 2009, 01:54 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrevie View Post
Dear god that's cold... It's between 20 and 35 degrees C year round where I am.
Ah, shaddap

/Geek cold

Hide this!Advertise here!