Help with trimming wood Veneer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Help! I applied my wood veneer with contact cement and am having some troubles trimming it. I've got a knife and I'm trying to run it 90 degrees to the veneer but it's 'splintering' and tearing up around where the edge is. I'm fairly certain I got a good bond with the contact cement.

Help!

there are available router bits that are made to trim veners. You can try to use a small plane and then fine sandpaper. Very coarse sand paper followed by fine sand paper works but takes the longest. A very sharp chisel will work if you don't have a plane. A new chisel will have to be sharpened. They are not very sharp when bought from a store. I have used all of the methods. Using a router is fastest but you will need some practice first or you can destroy your project in a second or less. I remade all of the kitchen cabinets in our house using oak plywood and used several hunded feet of oak iron on vener for the edges. I used the chisel and sandpaper method with excellent results. When you rub your finger from one edge to the other you should not feel the veneered edge.

If you are cross cutting (going against the grain) you need a very sharp knife. You can put a piece of masking tape right along your cut line, which will decrease the splintering- apply the tape gently, and be careful when you pull it back up.

I'm veneering my speakers right now as well, I decided to rout a 1/4" groove along the edge and glue in strips of wood, then round them over. This also prevents edge damage when you move the speakers or whatever.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Unfortunately I'm going to have to stop for the time being. Just had a cold snap and I can't get the garage warm enough. (The contact cement I have wants to be above 16 Celsius with my space heater running I can only get it up to about 5 degrees.)

I'm running into the same thing. I'll tell you one thing- do NOT be stingy with the contact cement. I've had a few bubbles appear and I think it's because I was trying to stretch the can of cement out. If you do get some, cut a slit along the grain the whole length of the bubble, in the middle. Then sneak some wood glue in there and clamp it down. Someone suggested ironing the bubbles, but I haven't tried that.

Use a veneer saw -- they cost anywhere from $10 on up -- I am certain that there are vendors up there! There are also specialized routers and router bits -- I too rebuilt my kitchen cabinets (when my oldest was about 6 years old!) and used 1 2-flute carbide bit for the entire project, including trimming veneers and formica.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.