Acquiring/making large pieces of wood - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th October 2009, 02:24 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
I have a wood for you! This stuff is called Quebracho(SP?) It is an extremely high density tight grained wood that was once used in the manufacture of tannin. It is only found down here....it is used for firewood here for its high density & burning properties. You can allways tell if your working with this stuff as nails will penetrate only about 1/4"....& bend on you, it cannot be worked with hand tools and it weighs a ton! . It is used for railroad ties and fenceposts here for its resistance to the elements. It has a graining that rivals the likes of Walnut.
Wouldn't you know it, it is a slow growing wood that is being overharvested.
__________________________________________________ _____Rick..........
Old 7th October 2009, 03:10 AM   #12
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm somewhat partial to using a mix of play sand and lead shot, if you want to make them portable, just provide for an easy way to empty them into a container. Otherwise, concrete would be my choice and it's cheaper as well!

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 7th October 2009, 10:24 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJL21193 View Post
Creosote treated? Not a good smell in the family room

I would build a box with mitered corners (or veneer it) and fill it with some heavy ballast - sand, pebbles, lead shot, whatever.
No no! not treated with creosote, which as you say is very nasty stuff indeed! you can get new untreated oak sleepers and others too, have a look at the site.

Steve
Old 7th October 2009, 06:18 PM   #14
ChrisA is offline ChrisA  United States
diyAudio Member

Build a box with an open bottom the size and shape you like. People here are saying to fill the box with sand or concrete but an easier way to add mass is to go to the sporting goods store and buy a weight, the kind weight lifters attach to free weights. These come with a convenient hole drilled in the center. Attach the weight to the under side of the box with a bolt and washer.

Iron is more dense than concrete and cheaper than lead, plus that big hole in center makes it easy to mount to the underside of anything with just one bolt.

Last edited by ChrisA; 7th October 2009 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10th October 2009, 06:47 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

See, the problem is I can't have a very wide face (front width), so to get sufficient stiffness I think I might have to make it solid.

Also, to those proposing sand or lead shot: I'm going to drill holes through it, and the holes may not always be plugged.

Last edited by 454Casull; 10th October 2009 at 06:49 AM.
Old 11th October 2009, 05:50 PM   #16
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

If you cast it you can embed suitable anchors in it, and/or provide openings for the passage of cables...

Hide this!Advertise here!