Electrical safety with pcb mount transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm designing a PCB for a PCB mount toroidal transformer. However I could not find a good amount of articles on the internet which clearly states the safety standards involving mains circuit on a PCB.

I would use standard PCB mount IEC power inlet with fuse drawer and PCB mount transformer. I would like to insulate the solder joints on the bottom side of the board.

The component leads would be bent parallel to the solder pad before being soldered. I am looking for a practical method to insulate these pads.

I would appreciate any inputs.

Patrick

The ones I know of:

- at least 10mm clearance between mains voltage and low voltage traces on the PCB.
- an insulating sheet between the underside of the PCB and the chassis, either fixed to the PCB or the chassis. This is probably only strictly necessary for a double insulated appliance though.

I would insulate the chassis underneath the "mains" area with two layers of heavy duty adhesive tape.
I would place the "mains" area near an edge of the PCB.
I would ensure the trace layout meets the special requirements for creepage distance.
I would ensure that when the case is open, I cannot accidentally touch or drop any anything on the "mains" traces and/or soldered pads/joints.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.