Front panel construction - help with buttons!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm working on a PC based source component of sorts and I'm at a point where I need to put it in a chassis. I'm going to get the front panel from Front Panel Express. It's a basic front panel consisting of about a dozen buttons (monentary SPST) and a small LCD display from Matrix Orbital.

I'm struggling with the buttons. Looking at this picture here:

http://www.briangt.com/gallery/cdpro2/cdp02

The actual button cover that you press to activate the switch on the PCB behind the front panel - they're just little pieces of plastic or aluminum with a ridge around the edge so they stay in. Is there a term for those? Where do you get them?

I'd like some aluminum ones I could find some.

Are they tactile switches behind the front panel?

If so I believe they are known as "switch caps" Only ever seen cheap plastic ones never seen aluminum ones.

switch caps

I had the same problem when building my cd player. In the end I layered acrylic to create a button.

cd player

If you want aluminum ones (which is also what I originally wanted and still do) I would find someone with a center lathe. I do know some one who could do it but I'm sure there must be someone more local to you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.