My favorite shop tip

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I always share this with guys I train.

Whenever you are REASSEMBLING something with wood screws or sheet metal screws, drop the screw in the hole and turn it gently BACKWARDS until you feel it drop into the old threads. THEN tighten the screw.

That prevents cutting new threads in the material around the hole. Cut new threads too many times and none are left, and your hole is forever stripped.

I always share this with guys I train.

Whenever you are REASSEMBLING something with wood screws or sheet metal screws, drop the screw in the hole and turn it gently BACKWARDS until you feel it drop into the old threads. THEN tighten the screw.

That prevents cutting new threads in the material around the hole. Cut new threads too many times and none are left, and your hole is forever stripped.

I've had a habit of doing that for a while,sometimes I get asked why,I explain,and they go "Ah-ha!" :)
I think it comes from building PC's for so long...I hate stripped HDD/case screws.

I've had a habit of doing that for a while,sometimes I get asked why,I explain,and they go "Ah-ha!" :)
I think it comes from building PC's for so long...I hate stripped HDD/case screws.

Yeah, I do it too.

And if the hole does strip, tap the back of hole with a hammer and flat punch on a flat surface, and retry. The burred over metal closes over the hole, and you can cut a new thread in the metal. This is best if you have a spare screw in the required thread to cut the new thread, as it can mark the thread on the screw as you cut it.

Stuey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.