Wood & Varnish - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2009, 07:48 PM   #71
diyAudio Member

Default Help

What would you think of going with oregon pine,
selected (with straight and thin layers),
for a double-TQWT i want to build?
Old 10th February 2009, 08:40 PM   #72
diyAudio Member

Hi all,

I'm about to build a pair of Zaph's B3S's, and thanks to the difficulty of finding good plywood in Australia, they'll be in MDF with a hardwood baffle.

My question is this: For someone with no experience in painting, finishing, or veneering, what's the easiest way to make MDF look nice? The baffles will probably be in Jarrah or Tasmanian Blackwood - both are dark, richly coloured timbers, and will clash quite nastily with "honey" colour of straight lacquered MDF. Ideally, the cabinets would be a nice gloss black, but I've heard that's nearly impossible.

Any ideas?
Old 16th February 2009, 02:58 PM   #73
diyAudio Member

It all depends on what you will find acceptable. A true piano finish requires many layers of lacquer sprayed on and wet sanded. A quick and dirty finish can be done by rolling on a sandable primer and sanding to 600 grit, then rolling on acrylic enamel. This will give a light orange peel finish that isn't all that bad. The quality of the finish depends on the roller you use. I use a 1/4" nap synthetic roller for all of my household trim. For commercial speakers, consumers expect better, so I don't do this on speakers.

Materials will differ regionally. I use either Kilz or Zinser primers. Either will wet sand if allowed to dry a couple of days. Auto primer would be best, but would require spraying. Years ago, I would spray auto lacquer with a low pressure bleeder gun with good results, but that was back when the paint contained lots of solvents like benzene, toluene and xylene. I don't know if this is even possible with modern low solvent lacquers.

Bob
Old 18th February 2009, 04:27 PM   #74
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

For my money, the easiest way to make MDF look nice, particularly if you're looking for a high gloss finish in a solid color, would be plastic laminate. (i.e. Formica, Arborite, Wilsonart, etc)

Bear in mind of course the requirement for special skills and equipment to wrap P-Lam around radius profiled edges,( thermo "post-forming" as in cove-topped countertops and wrapped doors) and that it can only be worked this way in one direction.

But for a simple rectangular enclosure, it could easily cost less and take less time than painting.
Old 27th February 2009, 09:22 PM   #75
diyAudio Member

Default Oil & Wax

Oil and wax finish. My favorite so far. I won't use poly ever again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mikasainstalled2.jpg (38.9 KB, 858 views)
Old 27th February 2009, 10:53 PM   #76
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Oil & Wax

Quote:
Originally posted by cervelorider
Oil and wax finish. My favorite so far. I won't use poly ever again.

agree on the poly - but I think the question was "easiest way to get a nice gloss black finish on MDF?"
Old 27th February 2009, 11:22 PM   #77
diyAudio Member

Oil and wax looks great. If you want something more, try a light coat of shellac, 1lb cut. Rub out with wax and 0000 steel wool, and you will barely see it.
Old 28th February 2009, 01:06 AM   #78
diyAudio Member

Gloss black isn't at all essential, it's just something I know would looks nice, if I could do it. I can't, so instead I'm asking "What can I do that will look nice next to Jarrah (Swan River Mahogany) and can be achieved by some-one with no skill whatsoever?"
Old 28th February 2009, 03:27 AM   #79
diyAudio Member

I have used black dye a lot. What are you putting it on? MDF or wood? It makes many woods look great. Just used it on Jatoba and turned it deep red. Looks great next to black or red, paint or wood.
Old 3rd July 2009, 05:02 PM   #80
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cervelorider
Yes, it is slightly truncated at the top. I have some acoustic fill in the top, above the driver now, but it is removable. Here are the rough dimensions of what I used and what inspired my first single driver build.

http://www.iol.ie/~waltonaudio/voigt.html

Amazing luck, I cut the dimension for voigt from OSD (not ideal material at all but laying around in the garage) and also have Pioneer B20s!. I will study your website carefully. I plan to stabilize the cabinet obviously with liberal use of stiffner's and braces...

My previous experience guarantee's that I will have to add a tweeter of some sort.

gychang

Hide this!Advertise here!