Wood & Varnish - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th August 2008, 10:25 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by schn0354
When I say a loudspeaker should have the same design consideration as a musical instrument, I mean the same level of craftsmanship, attention to detail, and knowledge of acoustics which raises the bar considerably. Speaker enclosures should not resonate with the sound like a violin, but can make the driver more efficiently couple with the air and mechanically compensate for deficiencies in driver response (i.e., back loaded horn). No loudspeaker system should be designed to introduce anything beyond the original recording. Maybe it is a difference of semantics here.
No, perhaps just a slight lack clarity (? ) -your first post did appear to suggest you were talking about 'tone woods.' Anyway, I agree in principle that there should be a similar level of design consideration / craftsmanship in both.

However, back onto the subject of materials, which is what this thread is about. So, here's one to get things moving: I've got an increasing liking for pine, assuming it's dried / sealed properly. It's light, quite stiff & seems to be very effective for some applications I've used it for, providing you And if an audibly resonant cabinet was wanted, it also seems to add a nice mellow tone to some instruments.
Old 26th August 2008, 11:22 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

There are many guitar fora and sites around on the net about building guitars.

I suggest you check these out for recommendations on the tones of wood. As a guitar has pickups strapped to the wood, the signal from which is then amplified much more so than in many Hi-Fi's, any tonal impact of the wood will be emphasised even more so.

From the top of my head, Mahogany tends to have a deeper sound that can be interpretted as muddy by some unless the pickups and amp are brighter. Mahogany is a favourite for Les Paul like guitars. Maple and Alder tend to be the opposite and used in Strats - ala Gilmour, Hendrix and Van Halen.

Alternatively, some guys sampled the frequency response of multiple bits of wood then digitalised them and stuck them to a piece of standard wood - calling it the Variax.
Old 26th August 2008, 01:29 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bassrogue
I've had good luck using Pine and Fir in my builds. It's easy to work and even smells good!
I found some stair steps at Home Depot that are 1-1/4"x4' that made a nice 4' BIB.
Old 26th August 2008, 02:09 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default Solid Pine Voigt Pipes

My very first speaker build, a Derek Walton inspired voigt pipe, was from solid pine. I originally had some Fostex 8 inchers in it, but now have some Pioneer B20's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg voight.jpg (75.9 KB, 3888 views)
Old 26th August 2008, 03:15 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Nice. OT briefly Derek, have you choked off the throat of those a bit?
Old 26th August 2008, 04:28 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Did all kinds of experimenting when I had the Fostex in it, but they sat neglected and driverless until picking up a pair of Pioneer drivers. With those in it, I've done very little experimenting as I had built the Sachiko by that time. I still have them and perhaps I'll put them back in my system and play around with them a bit more, but I'm just not a big fan of the Pioneer B20. I built them so the bottom deflector could be removed. I also played with various amounts of stuffing. Should I try choking off the vent at the bottom a bit more?
Old 26th August 2008, 04:44 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I haven't time to run a full MathCAD sim on it just now, but FWIW, I'd probably blank the whole thing off & try them with a 3in x 4in circular port (WxD). I was just wondering about the throat (i.e. the top) as from your picuture, it doesn't appear to come to a point as per the original, but seems slightly trunkated, as was popular a few years back. Or is that just than angle of the photograph fooling me?
Old 26th August 2008, 05:11 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Yes, it is slightly truncated at the top. I have some acoustic fill in the top, above the driver now, but it is removable. Here are the rough dimensions of what I used and what inspired my first single driver build.

http://www.iol.ie/~waltonaudio/voigt.html
Old 26th August 2008, 05:32 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I thought as much. I know Derek's VPs quite well, along with those that inspired them. Not perfect, but they did at least interest quite a lot of people, & probably helped encourge some to try their hand at DIY speakers who might not have done before.
Old 28th August 2008, 11:51 AM   #20
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I think there can be an emotional attachment involved in the materials when you are working with real wood rather than from MDF or chipboard. I know when I use MDF, it feels a little like paint by numbers instead of doing an original drawing. I try and separate this from what I feel when I hear the final loudspeaker but it's sometimes hard to be objective about it.

Peter J. Comeau, currenly editor of HiFi World and ex-MD of Heybrook loudspeakers, has been running articles in the magazine about enclosure materials. His suggestion is for a composite of chipboard and thin MDF, veneered with oak. (Yes, he says the veneer alters the sound.) Interesting reading - some of the articles are on the HiFi World website. When I last looked, it hadn't caught up with the dead tree edition.

Meanwhile, at Computer Audiophile there is an article on violin woods and sound properties.

All good stuff and more rewarding than the usual Birch Ply vs MDF debate.

Hide this!Advertise here!