Wood & Varnish - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2010, 05:42 PM   #101
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
Better than MDF is what way? It is hard to beat MDF if you want something that is sonically "dead".
In a larger horn design, I think the rigidity of the ply is desirable. My first speaker build was smaller sealed boxes and MDF seemed fine for those. Ply is also easier to finish if you keep it simple with stain and oil or wax.

Mostly though, my choice of ply is influenced by some people here who design and build horn type speakers on a professional level. I've no problem taking their advice.
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:15 AM   #102
kach22i is offline kach22i  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
HiFi speakers need to be "dead". and not contribute their own sound or color.
That is one school of thought.

I hate dead sounding speakers, and would rather error on the too lively side myself.
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:56 AM   #103
evanc is offline evanc  United States
diyAudio Member

Location: New Jersey. About 1 hour from NYC and 1 min. from the beach
veneer stuff. The 2 ply wood on wood veneer is great. A vacuum bag is also very useful for veneering. IMO Shellac is the easiest finish to apply by hand and get a good result.

NBL (No Black Line): FormWood Industries

Two-Ply Wood on Wood Veneer Stock List

Vacuum Pressing Systems -- Veneer Glue

/www.veneersupplies.com/categories/Vacuum__Press__Items/Vacuum__Press__Kits/

Shellac
Old 23rd February 2011, 03:04 AM   #104
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
That is one school of thought.

I hate dead sounding speakers, and would rather error on the too lively side myself.
I can't really argue with you there, but that shouldn't be a function of the cabinetry, that should be a function of the drivers, filters, electronics, etc.

Bob
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:17 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

The cabinet should not be made to sound dead, it should be made to sound good to the listener and compliment the driver, crossover, etc. It's a system and has to all work together well.
Old 23rd February 2011, 01:34 PM   #106
kach22i is offline kach22i  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervelorider View Post
The cabinet should not be made to sound dead, it should be made to sound good to the listener and compliment the driver, crossover, etc. It's a system and has to all work together well.
I think that is the reality, and that Bob Brines is talking ideas, goals and concepts.

Once ideas, goals and concepts fade away you are left with reality, and you have to deal with it. Dealing with it includes getting it all to work together as cervelorider talks about.

That is just my opinion, my "school of thought".

No right or wrong, just have some fun with it.
Old 23rd February 2011, 02:53 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervelorider View Post
Let me elaborate:

You talk about a cabinet that sounds "dead". I'm talking about a cabinet that doesn't sound at all. If you are using a dull sounding driver (the Pioneer BOFU comes to mind), a too thin or poorly braced plywood cabinet will sing and add "life" to the speaker. If you are using a Lowther or some of the AN drivers, you sure don't want the cabinet adding any additional brightness.

Yes, that synergy thing does work, but proper design makes the task easier.

Bob
Old 6th December 2011, 05:31 AM   #108
diyAudio Member

Other than the sound problems from some kinds of solid wood out there the big problem is the wood warping. you can use birch ply but it does not look as good with the laminated end grain showing. and we all know the problems with the bad looks of MDF. but all and alll the best solid wood for sound, looks and the least amount of warping is white oak !!
Old 30th July 2012, 05:07 AM   #109
Bcrary3 is offline Bcrary3  United States
diyAudio Member

If one were making his or own cabinet, say for a subwoofer, would it be best to have it made from a solid wood, or a ply wood? Also if it's made from either of these materials, would sidefiring or bottom firing be the best option?
Old 30th July 2012, 04:45 PM   #110
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcrary3 View Post
If one were making his or own cabinet, say for a subwoofer, would it be best to have it made from a solid wood, or a ply wood? Also if it's made from either of these materials, would sidefiring or bottom firing be the best option?
perhaps not quite the right thread for these questions, and don't expect any consensus on them - other than "it depends"

my :

high quality plywood ( e.g. "Baltic" birch / "Apple" ply - marine grade ply etc)

bottom firing only if chosen driver is rated for such application - not all are

Hide this!Advertise here!