• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

SMPS800RE Switch Ratings

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I would like to enquire what's the lowest possible current ratings for use with a 65V SMPS800RE.

Understand that Cristi recommends a 250V 10A AC switch in the manual, but it's tricky finding a good looking switch with said rating. Would love to use those metal LED momentary, but most are rated till 3A only.

Also understand that switches are usually able to carry more than their rated current, but definitely unsure if that's enough given that the peak power draw should be up to 15A.

Furthermore, not too sure if the switch connectors handle the full current of the power supply. Am guessing there might be a chance that it's a separate circuit.

Apologies if this is a basic question, but thought I'd defer to others who are way more knowlegeable than I with such things.

A big thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Copied from my email reply:

The switch doesn't have to carry more than 1.5A under normal operation only at start-up is required to pass more current.
A 10A switch should be used for reliability, because the inrush current at stat is high and the switch can be damaged after some time if is rated at lower curret. If 10A is not available, a 6.3 A min. can be used or a 5A with dual contacts connected in parallel.

Added:
A dual pole 5A switch can be also used, with both poles connected in parallel. This swtch would theoretically allow 10A current to pass through but the problem is at the very first moment when the SMPS have to start, the inrush current of charging capacitors limited only by the series thermistor has a peak value of ~ 10A and a dual switch cannot guarantee that both contacts will close in the same time, in fact there is a high chance that there is a time difference of up to few ms between both contacts are closed, so we can consider that the initial full current is carried by only one contact at the very first moment.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.