19V 100VA quality smps for laptops? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Inactive Vendor Forums > Connexelectronic

Connexelectronic Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Old 2nd October 2013, 05:05 AM   #1
Bernie7 is offline Bernie7  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Default 19V 100VA quality smps for laptops?

With computers increasingly popular as digital transports, the question of replacing the laptop's noisy stock smps with something better arises.

At 100VA, a linear psu will be relatively large and heavy, not to mention you need to order a custom transformer to obtain a regulated 19VDC.

Cristi could you offer an smps for this purpose that will be as good as any linear ps with regulated 19V 100VA? I'm sure that is a market that will only grow in time.

Old 2nd October 2013, 09:14 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
Stick with the house brick.It is light and reliable. Linear PSU's are heavy and not portable.
It doesn't much matter what the DC input looks like as it is regulated and conditions within the laptop.

Old 2nd October 2013, 12:01 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I don't necessarily agree. I built a linear supply for my laptop and the improvement in sound quality in a high-end setup with xmos usb converter was quite noticeable compared to the stock smps. I heard what I heard and am sure it's no placebo. My transformer is only 30VA hence my asking for a 100W clean smps.

I dedicate a laptop for audio use so not a problem having bigger 'bricks'. Besides it's a simple matter to change the ps of a laptop if it's needed elsewhere. Just unplug it and plug in the old brick.

Old 2nd October 2013, 12:30 PM   #4
FoMoCo is offline FoMoCo  United States
diyAudio Member

Chances are that there are multiple switchers inside the laptop. Except (maybe) the backlight, there would be nothing in a laptop that runs from 19V. The brick is there because of safety issues. That way all the isolation is handled in a commodity (inexpensive) device and not designed into each motherboard.

With multiples switchers already present, using a linear supply really doesn't do diddly.

Old 2nd October 2013, 03:26 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoMoCo View Post
Chances are that there are multiple switchers inside the laptop. .
Now that would be news to me. I'd have thought they use little smd 3-legged linear regs to supply all those lower voltages. Would be simpler and cheaper to do so than have a switcher for each voltage.

Old 2nd October 2013, 04:16 PM   #6
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie7 View Post
Now that would be news to me. I'd have thought they use little smd 3-legged linear regs to supply all those lower voltages. Would be simpler and cheaper to do so than have a switcher for each voltage.
Ever try to do 50A at 1.2V with a linear regulator? The cores in many modern processors run at these sorts of currents and even higher. The efficiency of the typical linear regulator would result in hundreds of watts of waste heat. There are switchers all over the inside of that laptop for all of the different bus voltages required.

Old 3rd October 2013, 01:45 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Really, is there any trace on a mobo that can take 10A, let alone 50A? Even if there are switchers inside, I could still argue that one switcher less (their mother supply) can help in audio.

Old 3rd October 2013, 04:22 AM   #8
DUG is offline DUG  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie7 View Post
... Even if there are switchers inside, I could still argue that one switcher less (their mother supply) can help in audio.
I could argue that the switchers in the laptop don't pass through the noise from the external supply...they generate enough of their own.

But you have your opinion and I have mine.

We are unlikely to change each others opinion.

We have both expressed said opinions.

Have a nice day.

Old 3rd October 2013, 04:34 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Let's have some perspective. My i-5 laptop's brick is rated at 3A. In practice it barely draws 30W. It has no fan yet stays cool all day. The current Hasbro chips draw even less and this trend is set to continue in the quest for battery life. We're not talking about high perf overclocked cpu's and gpu's for audio use.

Granted, ymmv. A simple test could be to run the laptop on its battery alone. It may not be totally noise-free (as some claim) but at least there's no switching noise here. Do you hear a difference? I did, in my audio setup.

Old 3rd October 2013, 04:36 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi Dug

A nice day to you too!

Hide this!Advertise here!