• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

19V 100VA quality smps for laptops?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With computers increasingly popular as digital transports, the question of replacing the laptop's noisy stock smps with something better arises.

At 100VA, a linear psu will be relatively large and heavy, not to mention you need to order a custom transformer to obtain a regulated 19VDC.

Cristi could you offer an smps for this purpose that will be as good as any linear ps with regulated 19V 100VA? I'm sure that is a market that will only grow in time.

I don't necessarily agree. I built a linear supply for my laptop and the improvement in sound quality in a high-end setup with xmos usb converter was quite noticeable compared to the stock smps. I heard what I heard and am sure it's no placebo. My transformer is only 30VA hence my asking for a 100W clean smps.

I dedicate a laptop for audio use so not a problem having bigger 'bricks'. Besides it's a simple matter to change the ps of a laptop if it's needed elsewhere. Just unplug it and plug in the old brick.

Chances are that there are multiple switchers inside the laptop. Except (maybe) the backlight, there would be nothing in a laptop that runs from 19V. The brick is there because of safety issues. That way all the isolation is handled in a commodity (inexpensive) device and not designed into each motherboard.

With multiples switchers already present, using a linear supply really doesn't do diddly.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Now that would be news to me. I'd have thought they use little smd 3-legged linear regs to supply all those lower voltages. Would be simpler and cheaper to do so than have a switcher for each voltage.

Ever try to do 50A at 1.2V with a linear regulator? The cores in many modern processors run at these sorts of currents and even higher. The efficiency of the typical linear regulator would result in hundreds of watts of waste heat. There are switchers all over the inside of that laptop for all of the different bus voltages required.

... Even if there are switchers inside, I could still argue that one switcher less (their mother supply) can help in audio.

I could argue that the switchers in the laptop don't pass through the noise from the external supply...they generate enough of their own.

But you have your opinion and I have mine.

We are unlikely to change each others opinion.

We have both expressed said opinions.

Have a nice day.

:)

Let's have some perspective. My i-5 laptop's brick is rated at 3A. In practice it barely draws 30W. It has no fan yet stays cool all day. The current Hasbro chips draw even less and this trend is set to continue in the quest for battery life. We're not talking about high perf overclocked cpu's and gpu's for audio use.

Granted, ymmv. A simple test could be to run the laptop on its battery alone. It may not be totally noise-free (as some claim) but at least there's no switching noise here. Do you hear a difference? I did, in my audio setup.

Really, is there any trace on a mobo that can take 10A, let alone 50A?
Yep, there will be planes, multiple layers... I designed a motor drive that delivered 50A at 48V and was no big deal. This is common practice now.

Even if there are switchers inside, I could still argue that one switcher less (their mother supply) can help in audio.
There's no even to it. There are multiple switchers in a laptop. It's common for the core voltage to be delivered by a switcher using six phases or more. Then there's the 1.8V logic, 3.3V logic, and maybe some 5V logic, all from switchers. In a laptop switching is the only choice. It's now becoming common for a class D amp to drive the speakers.

My opinion is that a well designed switcher is not audible. Even with a bad one in the chain, replacing the brick will not benefit.

This post evolved so much since I wasn't able to access the forum that most of the important things were already said. I would add the following only:

1. The idea of using a linear power supply to supply the notebook is useless. would be much larger and heavier than the notebook itself, with poor efficiency, at best 50% and the amount of heat to be dissipated will create reliability issues. The idea of replacing the internal switches with linear switches is even more hilarious, is almost impossible and if someone would really try to do it, a lot of problems will arrise, most probably will never work. Let's see why. Like someone already said, core voltages down to under 1V at currents up to 100A or more are currently common nowdays. How could someone imagine a linear regulated power supply able to provide let's say 800mV at 120A ? I know, there are laboratory power supplies used for chemical or physical experiments, or in industry very low voltages and huge currents are still used for spot welding, electrolysis, hard chromium plating and countless applications. but their power supplies are huge, expensive and power hungry. Next. suppose that we passed all these obstacles. we have all the necessary voltages ready: 800mV @ 120A for core, 1.8V, 2.5v, 3.3V 5V at few hundreds of mA up to few A and 12V at 1-2A for display backlight. How we bring these voltages on the mainboard while the voltage drop and regulation is good enough to keep it constant? remote sensing of voltages ? that might work for keeping the voltage steady under constant load but during fast current demand changes ? the system will be very unstable, at half meter wire carrying 120A at 800mV..... Anyway, suppose that these obstacles are passed, inside every computer, desktop or notebook are dedicated power management IC's which are connected through dedicated buses to a controller and all voltage and current settings, feedback, monitoring and protections status are transmitted in real time. we have to replicate this too.
So, I don't think that will anyone ever try to do this kind of power supply with the current available computers down to the point-of-load converter.

2. Most of the original adapters which come with notebooks are properly designed and built, so the EMI and safety are no reasons to concern. the fact that the power supply is not within computer itself, sometimes sit 1m away from computer, it minimize radiated emission susceptibility to a point that has zero effect to a computer which itself containst at least a dozen of switches on board. Conducted emissions are still fairly low for these adapaters, and changing them with some "audiophile" special treated alloy (money waster) is useless.

3. Things are changing when we talk about after-market adapters, or even adapters which come with brand new no-name-no-brand computers made by my surrounding neighbours. I got scared when i opened the first adapter, and I keep getting scared when I open each new adapater. If couple of years ago their safety was poor, then bad, now is terrible to none. I attach some pictures of a transformer from a notebook adapter bought as a travel spare from my computer. it eventually ended up chopped, and bought another one which cost me about 12 times more and even if I was 99.99% was original I wanted to see with my own eyes what is inside before I dare to use it, although it voids it's warranty.
What we see in the picture, there is no trully isolation barrier tape between primary and secondary and the primary and secondary wires are touching eachother. The only reason why this transformer hasn't killed anyone yet is because the wire insulation still exist. but imagine what happens after 1-2-3 years of thermal cycling, 20-80-20-80.....20-80*C and so on.
This is how most of the brick laptop adapters transformers sold for a burger on fleabey looks like inside. I advise all of you to open one and check. Although the plastic case is ultrasound welded (even screws or glue are expensive nowadays) is easy to open, put it on a hard surface on its side and hit the opposite side gently with a hammer on the line where both covers join. You might also be surprised if you'll find inside next to the tiny, half empty pcb board, one or two special components, connected to nothing, long and thin, wrapped into scotch tape and made of cement, or in best case iron scrap. it's only purpose is to convince the uninitiated buyer that the product is genuine, since it weights the same as the original one. If you're power supply is really deent made, you didn't lost anything by opening the case, (whell the power supply might not work if the opening process is not done properly) but at most you know the risk grade before putting your life in danger. Internet is full of discussions related to this issues, too bad that i can't access most of the pages with relevant content. I wonder why....
One reason why most of the SMPS which I desing and produce are using LLC topology is that beside efficiency and low noise this topology allows highest isolation to be achieved between primary and secondary, safety being a priority especially for DIY. with a split bobin transformer where clearance/creapage is at least 5mm and is visible, not hidden under layers of tape where moisture, impurities, and all sort of conductive elements can create a disastrous bridge.

4. A high quality SMPS for notebook computers should only be considered if it can be demonstrated that this would improve the sound performances. Use a battery or better 3x6V batteries to supply computer externally and see if something changes. eventually, use it's own battery, every laptop has one, right ? if there are no significant changes, and I'm almost sure about, that is a waste.

Attachments

• IMAG0951.jpg
    IMAG0951.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 105
  • IMAG0952.jpg
    IMAG0952.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMAG0953.jpg
    IMAG0953.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.