• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Review of a TA3020 v4b from a pro audio perspective

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings all,

I've been working on a self powered subwoofer project for about 6 months and I've finally got the second prototype to a useable point. The sub is a medium sized reflex unit tuned to an fb of 33hz that uses an Eminence Lab 12. My background is in Pro Audio and I wouldn't consider myself a HiFi or home theater guy. That being said my systems are known for their balanced mids and highs as well as good overall clarity; though I have a reputation for going heavy on the bass.

I purchased a TA3020 v4b from connexelectronics for this project and I'm quite happy I did. The TA3020 v4b is tripath based amp combined with a resonant SMPS. There are 2 versions of this: a 300W/channel@4ohms model, and a 400W/channel@4ohms one. I purchased the 400W version as it is capable of putting out over 1200W in Briged tied load with very low THD. The price of this package is hard to beat at just over $300. Although if you run a balanced signal path and plan on using this amp in stereo you will need a bridged input phase shift unit also sold on the website for under $20 if I remember correctly. For BTL application like mine you simply connect pin 1 to either channels gnd, pin 2 to left positive and pin 3 to right positive; then left + and right + outputs connect to the positive and negative terminals of your speaker respectively.

In purchasing an amp from connexelectronics you will deal with Cristi, a pleasant ChineseEuropean living in China fellow from the Shenzhen Provence who, at least from my perspective, is very talented at the art of electronics(Yes I'm reading Horowitz and Hal which may tell you about my experience level). Cristi is pretty easy to communicate with; the language barrier is minimal. Emails are typically responded to in less than two days except for the occasion where he has to travel or catch up on work. Some of this is due to the time zone difference and some to the imposed limits on internet in China. During my purchase and shipping of the unit Cristi and I were in almost constant communication. There was even two occasions where Cristi didn't hear from me and checked in, it appeared that he was as eager as I was to have it up and running in the subwoofer. Being not all that experienced in amp modules I did need a bit of help. While I wouldn't say the support I received was perfect, it was as much as I would expect from any vendor; domestic or otherwise.

I've got a few things to take care of so I'll leave this review here for now. When I return I'll post the details of my good impression of this unit with a few critiques to ensure a balanced perspective.

Thanks Cristi,

-Matt Long
Sound System Installation/Alignment
A/V System Integration/networked control
San Francisco, CA

Last edited by a moderator:
For BTL application like mine you simply connect pin 1 to either channels gnd, pin 2 to left positive and pin 3 to right positive; then left + and right + outputs connect to the positive and negative terminals of your speaker respectively.

Hi Matt, I guess you're talking about the XLR pins here... what if I have an unbalanced signal but I don't need the BIPS module?

Thanx in advance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.