• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Which IRS2092 modules?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Cristi,

Thanks for the explanation; it’s educational but I’m not any closer to knowing what to order.

Is an additional PS needed because the SMPS2000R’s cannot supply enough current?

It can supply 500 mA, or perhaps it’s reduced to 400 mA at 15 V.

I calculate the total current requirement for three CxD250-HP’s as 195 mA; each requires “for small signal circuits (+-15V to +-25V at 25mA) and separate regulator for MOS-FET's driver circuit. (14V to 28V at 40mA)”.

Each SPC1 requires 40 mA, or 240 mA for six of them.

That totals to 425 mA; is that too much?

If it is, how about if I add a separate small 12 VAC transformer to drive the SPC1’s so that the SMPS2000R need only supply 185 mA?

If the current limitation is on the components supplying the auxiliary DC, would it be possible to tap into the circuit ahead of them for supplying AC to the SPC1’s?

If there’s no way around an additional DC supply for the CxD250-HP’s, please be specific by telling me where to buy it or how to make it.

If there’s room in my case for two SMPS's, another option s your new PS for the CxD250-HP.

When will it be available, how much power will it supply, what are its dimensions, and how much will it cost?

The final option is to just use all CxD300-8R's.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if I don't hear any difference between them and the CxD250-HP; I once did a test between many different amps, large and small class AB and a class A (all were solid state) and I couldn't tell the difference.

Thanks

Oh, and I keep forgetting to ask - what are the input impedances of the CxD250-HP and CxD300-8R?

Last edited:
Hi Christi.
I think many people now want to know when the dedicated power supply will be available.
How powerful will it be (or will there be a range of sizes)?
Your website seems to indicate the SMPS800RE provides dual independent auxiliary supplies (is this not what is required?) but the product webpage confusingly brings up the SMPS800R manual.

Now you're getting complicated (assuming you are using 1 power supply per amp for main +-54V): driver stage is relative to main 54v neg.
You would have driver stage of both amps referenced to main 54v neg of just 1 amp. Unless you can parallel both power supplies main +-54V. I wouldn't know to comment on if that can be done! You're probably better using the SMPS800R for main & input power and a separate small power supply just for the driver which is what I think Christi was saying in earlier thread.

It's still not clear on Connexelectronics

I'm also confused whether "SMPS800R with dual independent and isolated auxiliary regulated voltages" means +V and -V, or +/-V1 and +/-V2; also, no current rating is given.

Now you're getting complicated (assuming you are using 1 power supply per amp for main +-54V): driver stage is relative to main 54v neg.

Yeah, I don't much like it either.

If I did it, and assuming the problem with the SMPS2000R is the current limitation, I would use one to supply the CxD250's with +/-54V as well as +/-15V for small signal and driver circuits, and use the other to supply the CxD300's and speaker protectors.

Last edited:
After studying Christi's site again, I believe "dual" auxiliary is in fact +V and -V.
Therefore one would use +/- 54V main supply, +/-18v for input stage and an independent 14-28v independent supply connected to -54V supply for the driver stage.
This independent supply could be say a 12v toroid transformer/rectifier/capacitor supply.
If a dual 12v secondary, one could be used as driver supply and the other independently for other circuits eg relay input selector, speaker protection circuit etc. Just remember one circuit would be at -54V level!

Noah, the current requirement for the CxD250-HP driver stage is ~40mA and for the input stage around 20-25mA. One SMPS2000R which will supply 6 or even 8 CxD250-HP modules will have to supply 120-200mA for the input stage and an aux. power supply will have to provide 240-320mA for the driver stage. This are current requirements for multiple modules and well within the maximum current capability of aux. supply. the reason why the current SMPS2000R need to use one more small power supply for the drive voltage is that the amplifier requires a total of 5 voltages, two for the power stage, (or a dual voltage, V+ GND V- of 54V) another two for the input stage (dual voltage V+ GND V- 15 to 25V at 20-25mA) and the drive voltage which has the negative connected to V- not power GND. this is a very common configuration, almost all class D or class T amplifiers use this supply scheme. I will try to draw a schematic on my pc and post here.
Speaker protection circuit requires ~40mA, so 6 of them will require ~240mA. they can be supplied from the aux. V+ to GND where we alredy connect the amplifier modules supply for input stage, which also need 120-200mA depending how many modules are connected. so we will have a total current requirement of 360-440mA for the positive aux. and 120-200mA for the negative aux. which are both within limits. is not a problem that the current draw is not equal, the aux. output use linear post regulators and they can work well with zero to max. load on each rail.
Because for the moment the dedicated power supply isn't available yet though I was expecting to finish last month (a family event shifted with few weeks consume most of my time including working time, so I hope by the end of the month things will come back to normal and I can resume the daily work at normal pace) the most suitable power supply available now for 2 channel setup is SMPS500R, for 3 channels (2.1) is SMPS800R(E) and for 6-8 channel setup is SMPS2000R. unfortunately the current versions does not provide the drive voltage which wasn't required for the previous available amplifiers because all of them manage to obtain the voltages on board (explained in a previous post) for connection simplicity. for that reason, I will provide the low power aux. power supply for those who order any of the above mentioned power supplies togehter with CxD250-HP modules until the dedicated power supplies will be available, hopefully within few weeks.
But for CxD250-HP the goal was other than simplicity, so the complexity was driven to a higher level. Any other class D amplifier module which claim high performance use multiple supply rails, to independently supply each voltage.
The dedicated power supply at which I'm working now will have a low power version of 600W capable to supply 2 modules, a medium power version for 4 modules, 1200W and i estimate that in the first months of next year to be available the higher power version, 2000-2400W dedicated power supply for these modules and not only. all this power supplies will provide all necessary voltages and will have several new features which are not present on any of the available power supplies which I currently sell, and or available from other vendors.
I will draw some interconnection schematics if needed, just let me reach my PC later today or tomorrow.

Hi Cristi,

It's a bit clearer now, thanks.

I'm now preferring the idea of two SMPS800R(E)'s, because then I could use a sleek 1U case.

Will that also solve the additional PS issue because there will be two sets of auxiliary voltages?

Will the new features of the new PS's for the CxD250-HP improve the sound?

Last edited:
Ok, If you chose to use two SMPS800RE then the supply voltage issue can be solved very easy. since each aux voltage of SMPS800RE is independent and isolated, one power supply's aux. voltages can be used to supply the input stage and the other power supply aux. voltages can be used one for driver stage and one for speaker protection circuits.

The wires for the signal and aux. supply are 150-200mm long. longer wires can be sent on request.

Noah, I think you still don't quite get it. For the 3 amplifier modules you need only 1 SMPS800R(E). This will provide +54/-54V for the power stage and +18/-18V for input stage for all 3 modules (and have enough capacity in the 18V to power speaker protection).
Then you need the independent +15V power supply that will be tied to the -54V (not ground) for the driver stage. Christi is offering this separate supply to customers that need it before the dedicated all inclusive supply is available. 2 SMPS800R supplies would be a waste because you would be using only the auxiliary output of the second supply and not the 54V output. If it's still not clear, you will have to wait for Christi's diagrams.
I'm not in a hurry, I'll wait until new supply is available.

Thanks, Cristi, now we're getting somewhere :)

But before I order, is there any reason I would regret not waiting for the new PS?

I would get the 600W version for the three CxD250's.

Will it fit in a 1U case? If so, what are its length and width?

If it doesn't fit in 1U, I'll just get two SMPS800.

Thanks for the wire length info; I will work on the case layout and see what I need.

Speaking of layout, am I correct in assuming that on the CxD250 the screw terminal block is for 54V input and speaker output, and that the 8-pin connector is for signal and auxiliary input voltages?

Last edited:
Noah, that's some project with 11 amps!
With so many amps to power it has given you the flexibility to use 2 supplies, and there's not a deal of difference in price of 2xSMPS800R against 1xSMPS2000R. All you need decide now is 800R or RE (for Enhanced?), it's like detective work trying to find the difference, webpages only bring up manual for R version! I'll still wait for dedicated supply for a stereo pair as it includes protection as well (post 2).

Russ, thanks for pointing that out, somehow I just missed or forgot about that!

Not having to deal with the space, wiring, and cost of six speaker protection boards is definitely worth the wait.

Cristi, can you please supply for the new 600W and 1200W SMPS the dimensions and locations of input and output connectors?

The advantage of using two SMPS800RE is that you have plenty of auxilliary voltages available, 4 in this case. Each SMPS800RE has two independent aux. voltages which can be configured for 5V, 12V, 15V and as I explained above, two aux. voltages configured for 15V each, from one power supply can be used to supply the input stage of the amplifiers. then the other power supply aux. voltages can be configured for 12V, one used for the driver stage and the other used for Speaker protection modules.

The current configuration does not allow power supply shut-down in case of DC component at the output and speaker protection modules need to be used. Only the dedicated power supply will have this option.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.