• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

TA3020 v4b for self-powered sub Heat Sink question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings Cristi and Fellow DIYers,
I plan on ordering several TA3020v4b(400w) for use in self-powered subwoofers. They will be used for "touring" with lots of trucking and long high powered (ab)use in a variety of thermal environments. My question is this: Can an alternate heat sink configuration that lends itself to mounting an externally facing finned portion be easily(cheaply) implemented by you? Would you recommend separating the amp from the main cabinet space in order to keep the use of the fan?

I have several ideas on how I would implement this. However, your advice, as well as any appropriate modifications prior to shipping, would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, how many of these amps are available, or can be made, at any given time? I'm building these subs for myself but others have expressed interest in buying.

Thank you in advance for your help and quality products,

-Matt Long
San Francisco CA

Cristi,
In other words do you have a suggestion for modifying this for to a sub plate amp . My concern, obviously, is the heat sink.
I have local metal workers who can make the aluminum parts to route the heat to the sink, so to speak. The implementation seems somewhat simple. However, I'm sure there are design considerations I am unaware of.

I'm sure you are very busy and understand a delay in your response. Not all things are measured in (ms).

-Matt Long
SF, CA

Hi Matt, and sorry for late reply, I couldn't access the forum for almost one week. I would preffer to contact me by mail if later you not get an answer within a day or max. two. I have access to mail more often than forum.

The current version of TA3020v4b amplfier is much thinner than the previous one, has ~36mm from the pcb base to the top of the tallest component. that gives an overall thickness of 38mm, of the complete board including fan, which allows installation in a 1RU case with 5-6mm spacers below board and insulating sheet.
The easiest way to use an alternative cooling method such as a large external heatsink, is to replace the existing power stage cooling assembly (heatsink and fan) with a massive 100x30x60mm aluminium block. The main advantage is simplicity and the fact that the thermal cosnstant and thermal mass of such large piece will be huge and the amp will be able to play loud passages for 5-10 minutes followed by paused of 10-20 minutes without even heating up more than 10*C above ambiant. the disadvantages would be the weight (~0.48kg or 2 pounds) and possible cost. If this solution is chosen, both the heat transfer block and power supply side heatsink can be bolten on a large heatsink.

If your application is subwoofer or even active spekers with active crossover, i can recommend some other alternatives, some of them higher power rating, and at lower cost.

Thanks Cristi!
That is pretty much what I had in mind although I do have another interesting idea involving isolating the amp from the sub with it's own chamber and using intake/exhaust vents driven with quiet computer fans to circulate air. Any way I am interested in what your other alternatives are, although I'm pretty set on going through Connex. My application, in this case, will use BTL so the 900W-1300W of power is plenty. Please PM me your email address and the alternatives you are suggesting. Also if you could share some info on the available quantities I would be grateful.

I have considered the G2000pro by sinewave. While Authxl clearly knows his stuff, the lack of information I could find on the amp has steered me to something more established, not to mention the price is greater and I don't need the extra power. I have not written off working with them on future projects however.

I'll probably order between two and eight without heat sinks/fan(if that's ok) some time next week. I'm shooting for 12 (at least 8) of these subs to be ready by mid August. After that more will be built but how many and on what time frame remains to be seen. Build pics and details soon to come in another thread.

Thank you for responding Cristi,

-Matt Long
San Francisco, CA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.