• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

SMPS500R (dual voltage version) auxiliary output voltage question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Cristi,

I PM'd you but haven't had a reply so I thought I'd try my luck here.

I'm interested in purchasing the SMPS500R @ +-54V and the Speaker Protection Board but I'm unclear regarding the aux output voltage of the SMPS.

The manual says that for the dual voltage version it is dependent on the main output voltage.

My question is what is the aux output voltage for a main voltage of +-54V? Is it within the operating range of the Speaker Protection Board?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Steve

Steve, the aux. voltage of SMPS500R, SMPS500QR, SMPS300R and SMPS300RE is unregulated but proportional to the main output voltage. The value is given by the turns ratio. For example SMPS500R +-54V main output will have the aux. output voltage or around 11V with light load and 10.7V with ~250mA load when the main output voltage is set to +-54V. This because for the main output the transformer has 2x5 turns, and for the aux. has 2x1 turns which means that on each turn is induced about 11V. Then the output voltage will be 11xn-Vdrop (n=number of turns Vdrop=rectifier diode forward voltage drop).
The speaker protection circuit standard version can work with min. 9.5-10V DC up to 15V DC. for higher or lower voltage values, the relay must be changed and few resistors.

So I assume from the above, that my SMPS500R which is configured for 60V and an auxiliary voltage of 12V, will have a transformer that only puts out 12V and no more. So there won't be anywhere on the PCB that I can tap to give me a 15 to 18V AC for another 12V power supply?

As i told you in the countless mails which i sent you, the cause was an overload or a short-circuit on the aux. output. The circuit is way too simple and with correct rating fuses is almost indestructible. Of course if the fuses are replaced with whatever else we find around things will change and the weakest part will eventually give up.

Short resume: few months ago you had the same issue, I asked you to send the smps back for repair. both of them had burned diodes and track for the aux. voltage and overrated fuses 3A and 6.3A instead of 500mA ones. iIs no wonder if this happen. I repaired and tested both and they were working properly.
now since the burned winding act like a short turn, will damage worse if keep trying to power on waiting for a miracle to happen and heal itself.
i repaired first time for free, i haven't charged you even the shipping cost as I should. I wonder what you are expecting now. I can repair again, of course, but this time I will charge you the price of the damaged parts and shipping back. If you think that is unfair you can ask others opinion if is fair or not...

Last edited:
the cause was an overload or a short-circuit on the aux. output.

I wasn't using the aux. output though, Just the main one. I have a separate power supply for the 12V now. I had nothing even connected to the aux. output.

both of them had burned diodes and track for the aux. voltage and overrated fuses 3A and 6.3A instead of 500mA ones.

The fuses are 1A fuses (at least that's what they were sold to me as and that's what they say on them) - they were the only ones I could find that would fit. At the time, you said 1A would be OK.

I can repair again, of course, but this time I will charge you the price of the damaged parts and shipping back. If you think that is unfair you can ask others opinion if is fair or not...

Could you maybe just send a replacement transformer? How much would that cost? I just want to get them working. :sad:

Why don't you accept the offer from Cristi letting him repair the damaged unit? The only additional cost will be the shipping from UK to China - and you will get the assurance that the PSU is in working order when it leaves China.

Imaging that you get the transformer and the thing is still not working. That's bad luck.

Just my :2c:

Why don't you accept the offer from Cristi letting him repair the damaged unit?

Thanks, but I was just thinking of ways to save money. I think it cost about £30 to send them last time ($50?). That may not be a lot to some, but I'm out of work at the moment. If I post them again, pay for repairs and return, then the total cost will be edging towards double the original cost. I had been trying to save money by not buying the Hypex SMPS400A400. Also, the whole turnaround time will be several weeks. It's taken me a year to get my speakers built. I was really hoping to have them working this summer. It's my birthday tomorrow and I find myself quite depressed about this. :sad:

Maybe I could send it to a UK transformer company to repair/duplicate? Thoughts?

Last edited:
the package arrived in a very "special condition" I will post pictures later.
The fuses for aux. output are removed and just wires are placed instead. the transformer aux. winding is burned, again. (I wonder why ?) I will remake the transformer using much thicker wire. I wonder what will burn next time.

I won't be using the aux. output (I built a Velleman regulated PS kit which works perfectly), so there shouldn't be any problems *crosses fingers*.

Done !

When I said that the package arrived in "special condition" I wasn't joking. looks like was delivered directly from the plane without parachute. I wonder if the packages which I send arrive in same condition.
However, I fixed already, including the aux. output, even if you don't need it I have to bring the board in the same condition as it was when you bought it. hopefully this time will last without any more damage. I found the wires of aux winding melted and instead of fuses, just some wires. If you really don't use the aux. leave-it unconnected. I will charge you just the shipping back, 17 usd. I repaired the transformer myself and since was a joyful moment I can't charge nothing for that. please be so kind and send me at the same paypal address.
and please, don't damage again.

Attachments

• package.JPG
    package.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 279
  • smps.JPG
    smps.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 264
Someone at China Post was obviously having a bad day! Perhaps annoyed at being beaten by the US at the Olympics?

It's very kind of you to charge so little - especially as I currently have no job/little money. A local company quoted me something near to $200 to repair the transformer. :eek:

When my circumstances improve, I shall not hesitate in buying more of your well-made products.

Money on it's way. If I do break it again, I'll keep it to myself. :)

Thanks again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.