• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Switched Mode Power Supplies (SMPS)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A wire capable to carry at least 5A continuous and ~10A peak current with a cross-section of at least 1^mm better 1.5^mm is just fine. Is useless to use very thick wires, like the "audiophile" OFC or whatever $melly advertised, because they won't make the difference but it could be worse, if the wire or insulation is too thick, and cannot fit properly into the terminal block connector and tight the screw properly to lock the wire in place. In other words, the wires which connects the amp with the power supply won't make any difference as long as they have decent section, not too thin to catch fire if excessive current pass through them.

Off course for a single ended amplfier, even multi-channel, the SMPS4K8QR is overkill, but the main application will be two of the new version of these modules: Connexelectronic each connected in BTL mode, able to provide ~2400W on 4R with forced air cooling. Supply voltage will be +-87V. At +-80V can still provide ~2000W in BTL mode each power amplifier module.

In other words, the wires which connects the amp with the power supply won't make any difference.
Placebo has an effect in medicine. I believe snake oil can make the same to audiophile magic believers.

Please, let a chance to snake oil sellers to get their bad smelling money from Emirs and other rich bastards. For we can continue to laugh, reading hundred of very poetic pages about the "sound of the cables" and other cryogenic practices.

I never got an answer to the below questions.

need them now as I'm ready to order.

An additional question:

Are the heat sink fins horizontal or vertical?

Thanks

Cristi,

Depending on the size of the heat sink you offer with the A1000SMPS, it might not fit in my case.

What are its dimensions?

Also what are the dimensions of the heat slab, and does it protrude beyond the 120 mm dimension?

Thanks

Also, I will order the A1000SMPS with ETD49 stranded wire and 8200 uF caps.

It will be used to power twelve 150W IRS2092 modules, which I will ask you about in another thread.

I believe this will be adequate because all of my speakers use 94 dB sensitivity pro audio drivers and are bass-managed.

Do you agree?

On the A1000SMPS manual, page 4 there is a diagram with size of the board. The heatslug sits on the board, and does protrude outside just about 0.2 mm just enough to establish a good thermal contact with the larger heatsink on which will be installed.

For your purpose, 12 x 150W amplifier modules, A1000SMPS will not supply enough current, I strongly recommend to consider SMPS2000R instead, as the total power required by all 15 modules is around 2000W.

All SMPS which names are ended with R or QR (from Resonant or Quasi-Resonant) are soft switched.
The switching noise and generated EMI is much lower for resonant SMPS types. Also the efficiency, 4-7% higher which means a lot. few percent increase in efficiency can cut the losses in half or reduce the temperature rise with 15-20*C which can double the MTBF figures.

Cristi,

I'm contemplating on using the SMPS800RE (with isolated 12V aux supplies) to power the 500W LME49810 and adding a couple 10,000uF 100V caps (have those already)across the high current rails for additional peak current capacity. Will the caps affect the loop stability of the SMPS? Is the idea ok or would you suggest a better combination?
I want it to power a dual 2 ohm subwoofer and looking for atleast 500W or more for music/HT use.

Kp, for single 24V SMPS300R, not RE is suitable, SMPS300RE has only dual output voltage, +-xx V. If the required current is max. 4A, the SMPS200QR can be used too. it is the smallest size power supply with output power >200W for audio applications or ~ 100W continuous. If only one rail is needed, then the diodes from the negative output can be reversed and both positive an negative output can be paralleled to increase the output current, or to allow the diodes to work at half current.

djQUAn, just see the message posted, I don't get notifications from forum when new message is posted, and unless I check from time to time, have no idea what's new.
SMPS800RE can be used for LME49810-300 and 500W amplifiers, though the 500W version is at limit, because the lower efficiency of class AB amplifiers (~60%) make them very power hungry. The suitable power supply would be SMPS800RE with +-72V main output and 2x5V aux. to supply the driver stage with +-72V +5V Adding more capacitors is not necessary or recommended, as the power supply has regulated output, and large capacitors can trigger the latched over-current protection during turn on.
also, remember that the LME49810-500W is rated for 4R operation. if your woofer has 2R, then you must use lower supply voltage to get the same power, +-60V and 2x5V aux.

Yet I don't understand why you don't consider a class D amplifier for subwoofer? I can offer you several class D solutions, amp+smps at a fraction of the size and cost of the similar class AB amps. the real advantage of using LME49810 amps is not in sub-woofer applications, but along with high quality, very sensitive full-range speakers, where the details and frequency response on all audio band and up to 70KHz is better.

Hi,

thanks for the reply. The subwoofer has dual 2 ohm coils so it can be wired as a 1 ohm or 4 ohm load. It's actually designed for SQ but low sensitivity so I need a bit of power. I am also open to class D options but I like the simplicity of the AB amp incase I needed to repair it in the future. If you have better suggestions I am open to it.

My other choice was the TA3020 Audio Amplifier v4b bridged into the single 4 ohm load but my experience with Tripath amps are they sound very good with mid-highs but don't do well with subs.

I have already built the subwoofer filter/crossover and added a 180deg output so I can have balanced or inverted output for bridging if needed.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Hi Cristi,

I am using your SMPS800R power supply with an SDS-470 amp board from Class D Audio.

It generally works great, except, I noticed that when I turn it off, there's a "thud" or "thump" that comes out of the speakers. This happens maybe a couple seconds after the power is disconnected. I assume this is the capacitors of the PSU discharging?

Most people typically run their Class D Audio boards using a linear power supply. In fact, I have a second SDS-470 running exactly this way (it was completely pre-built by Class D Audio, i.e. not DIY). This amp does not produce any weird "thud" or "thump" when turning the board off (or on for that matter).

Note that I haven't tried powering the SDS-470 board in question with a linear power supply. So I suppose it could possibly be an issue with the board itself. But before I do further testing, I was wondering if you had any thoughts or ideas on this?

Thanks,
Matt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.