• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Switched Mode Power Supplies (SMPS)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Cristi,

I'm not sure if you've received my email and PM... You sent me an email saying that I can ship my SMPS for repair but you didn't include the shipping address.

Can you please provide your rtn address so that I can ship it? Also, please let me know if I should refer to an RMA#

Thanks

Take a look here

Connexelectronic

Follow the link to the PDF. Here it says +-32V, so the answer would be yes.

Or you could go with the +-27v psu.

Attachments

• cut.PNG
    cut.PNG
    23.3 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
Dear Cristi,

I am considering an SMPS3K6QR SMPS for an high fidelity subwoofer amplifier. I have some spare RIFA 100V 10 000 uF capacitors. Would this make an addition in terms of ripple-reduction and output imperdance to the PSU? Or would this make the SMPS instable?

I am using two dual-rail LME49810 in a bridged configuration.

Thank you in advance,

Kind regards,
Fokko Driesprong

Last edited:
Dear Fokko

First of all, SMPS3K6 has unregulated output voltage, which means that the output voltage will follow the mains input voltage +- few %. for example for the +-80V version, at no load will have about +-83-84V and will drop to +-80V at 10-20% load and drop to +-74-75V at maximum load while the mains voltage is constant 230V.
Most of the audio amplifiers especially class AB amps do not need regulated voltage to operate and the topology used for this amp is widely used in PA industry since was proven very efficient and reliable.
If you still need a regulated smps, consider SMPS2000R instead, it has fully regulated output from zero to maximum load.

Perhaps I'm missing the point, but

How do one supply that beast ? Here I have 13A@230V out the wall.
so you must turn-off all lamps before you turn-on an electrical oven ? just kidding :D
Regular fuses at my home are also limited to 13A (ac). This limits power to 3kVA wich is sufficient for this power supply.

Anyway, i guess this "beast" targets PA users or those having a very large home-theatre in their basement and no neighbours ;).

Perhaps I'm missing the point, but

How do one supply that beast ? Here I have 13A@230V out the wall.

In the description I wrote: High power Half-Bridge resonant SMPS for Audio Amplifiers, capable of delivering 4800W when supplying audio amplifiers with a crest factor of 1:3 and 6200W peak power.

Since we are all using our amplifiers to listen more or less music, which has a crest factor of usually 1:8 and up to 1:3, the average power will be 1/3, which is 1600W. that means ~1700W from the mains, which is ~7.4A at 230V.
All the PA amplifiers even those with output power in multi-KW range can be supplied from a 16A mains plug and they usually use 16A or max. 25A rated fuses. The power supply is electrically rated to deliver this power but not thermally rated to deliver long term power in excess of 2500W because is not needed for audio application and if would be needed, the size of the heatsinks, transformer, caps will be at least double perhaps triple and the cost will be much higher as well. Who would want to pay double for some reserve which will never be used ? None of the available smps for audio application from the market are able to sustain the rated power for more than few min. without overtemperature shut-down and some, even smoke and flames.

crest factor of usually 1:8 and up to 1:3, the average power will be 1/3, which is 1600W..
Let see the things by the other side.With the +-80v provided, you will have no more than 110V RMS at the output of an analog amp. (160/1.414).
Under 4 ohms of charge, it will provide 440w in the enclosures means 880 for two channels.
If we consider the amp as a class Ab one, with 50% of efficiency, it is 1600 W from the PSU.
Ok, we prefer class A amp, in order to use all this power available from the psu ? The crest factor will be at least to1:2
So, it is the ony use i can imagine for such an impressive PSU: a 2X 440w/4ohms amp in class A.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.