• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Switched Mode Power Supplies (SMPS)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Christophe, i sent the power supplies already, i'll get back to you with a mail with the tracking info in the following days after i get it from shipping company.
Jesper, the whinning could be caused by a particular voltage setting where the control loop stability is narrow at a given current draw and the easiest way to avoid it is to increase or decrease by one-two volts. The SMPS180QR as well as SMPS250QR use quasi-resonant flyback topology, and besides the regular voltage feedback loop found in most of the power supplies, there is a self-synchronizing circuit which helps to achieve the quasi-resonant operation and the values of this circuit has to be tuned too. overall, the target is the output voltage stability and the lowest switching noise, without decreasing the efficiency, primary required for an audio amplifier. If the output voltage is stable, should not worry about the transformer noise. If is annoying, replacing one or two resistors the noise can be reduced.

Jesper, the whinning could be caused by a particular voltage setting where the control loop stability is narrow at a given current draw and the easiest way to avoid it is to increase or decrease by one-two volts. The SMPS180QR as well as SMPS250QR use quasi-resonant flyback topology, and besides the regular voltage feedback loop found in most of the power supplies, there is a self-synchronizing circuit which helps to achieve the quasi-resonant operation and the values of this circuit has to be tuned too. overall, the target is the output voltage stability and the lowest switching noise, without decreasing the efficiency, primary required for an audio amplifier.

If the output voltage is stable, should not worry about the transformer noise. If is annoying, replacing one or two resistors the noise can be reduced.

The voltage is stable, but the whining is annoying. I'll like it to be dead silent - and to be able to run at 27v instead of 32v.

Tell me, which resistors is to be replaced and by which values - I'll gladly make the test. After all, it is DIY.

Last edited:
SMPS180QR

Start by changing the value of R11. the value is 100K or 150K depending on the board version. see the layout screenshot. i suggest to use a 220K potentiometer in series with 10K resistor which will be soldered with ~ 10cm long wires on the board and tune till is noiseless without compromising the voltage stability. try this first, dont touch anything else.
will be a lot of fun to reach that resistor and you will bless me a lot for that :headbash: because is under the transformer, and to take out the board from the shell will need some effort and tools. try to not damage-it, will be great.

Attachments

• SMPS180QR PCB.JPG
    SMPS180QR PCB.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 801
Witch SMPS to build an Amp based an Hypex UCD180

Hi Everybody. Hi Cristi.

I would like advices about what SMPS i should choose to feed an UCD180HG maybe HR (as you probably knows between +/-30V and +/-50V voltage input) for a 2.0 amp at the fist time with an extension to 5.0 later, and why not or 7.0
It would by used 80% Hifi and 20% HomeCinema.
Today i have an Poppulse TA2024 (77W at 8 ohms) used for stereo, it is really enough for my 25M2 living room.

I red a part of the threat, and even if the question should have be asked thousand times...:eek:

I browsed in détail your web site and find several SMPS that can be used for UCD : SMPS300R, SMPS200QR (no aux output ?)...
The link to the detail datasheet of SMPS200QR failed

I established several configurations
For 2.0 AMP UCD180HG HR
> 1 SMPS300R by module
or 1 SMPS500R for 2 modules
or 1 SMPS800R
or more ?

2/ For 5.0 AMP 2xUCD180HG HR + 1xUCD180HG (or HR) for central+ 2 UCD180ST for surround
> 1 SMPS300R by module
or 1 SMPS200QR by module (great because extremely compact)
or1 SMPS500R for 2 modules + 1 300R for central module + 1 300R for 2 surround modules
or 1 SMPS800R for the 3 main modules + 1 SMPS300 for surround
or ?

Is it insane to have only one A1000SMPS to feed 2, 3 or 5 UCD180 modules for instance ? Is the voltage is tunable by myself or fixed by you, like the others SMPS ?

As you see, i am quite lost..
What would be your suggestions ?
Thanks for your answer.

Regard. Ben
(as you probably understood, i am a very newbie):p

I just received today (4 May) the 2 SMPS ordered the 12 march.
Boards were very well packaged, and arrived in good shape at first sight.
Construction quality looks with quality parts and soldering ok.
I will publish my review as soon i get time to test them in my lab.
For the time, i'm at the end satisfied, despite this terrific delay and lack of communication from Connexelectronic.
Please Christi, next time some customer tells-you he do not receive your mails and had no news from you, believe-it and blame your SMTP provider not your customer POP3's one.
And try to understand how, with more than one and a half month of delay he can turn very suspicious.

Hi Everybody. Hi Cristi.

I would like advices about what SMPS i should choose to feed an UCD180HG maybe HR (as you probably knows between +/-30V and +/-50V voltage input) for a 2.0 amp at the fist time with an extension to 5.0 later, and why not or 7.0
It would by used 80% Hifi and 20% HomeCinema.
Today i have an Poppulse TA2024 (77W at 8 ohms) used for stereo, it is really enough for my 25M2 living room.

I red a part of the threat, and even if the question should have be asked thousand times...:eek:

I browsed in détail your web site and find several SMPS that can be used for UCD : SMPS300R, SMPS200QR (no aux output ?)...
The link to the detail datasheet of SMPS200QR failed

I established several configurations
For 2.0 AMP UCD180HG HR
> 1 SMPS300R by module
or 1 SMPS500R for 2 modules
or 1 SMPS800R
or more ?

2/ For 5.0 AMP 2xUCD180HG HR + 1xUCD180HG (or HR) for central+ 2 UCD180ST for surround
> 1 SMPS300R by module
or 1 SMPS200QR by module (great because extremely compact)
or1 SMPS500R for 2 modules + 1 300R for central module + 1 300R for 2 surround modules
or 1 SMPS800R for the 3 main modules + 1 SMPS300 for surround
or ?

Is it insane to have only one A1000SMPS to feed 2, 3 or 5 UCD180 modules for instance ? Is the voltage is tunable by myself or fixed by you, like the others SMPS ?

As you see, i am quite lost..
What would be your suggestions ?
Thanks for your answer.

Regard. Ben
(as you probably understood, i am a very newbie):p

The most suitable power supply for two UCD180 modules is SMPS500R output voltage set for +-45V. if you gonna build monoblocks or you want the best channel separation and avoid ground loops without much effort can use two SMPS300RE, one for each amplifier module. these power supplies have a CLC filer on each rail on the output and the output voltage is more smooth, with much less ripple.
SMPS800R (RE) is a little too beefy for two UCD180, but suitable for 3 or up to 4 modules. If you still want to use it, there are two reasons to chose SMPS800R (RE) for two modules only, if you want to have enough power reserve, and allow modules to work on low speaker impedances, knowing that some speakers impedance might drop significantly in some conditions. another advantage is that SMPS800R (RE) use 35mm diameter capacitors, the largest snap-in footprint and values up to 10mF or more are available at 50V or 63V.

For the second configuration, 5 channels, i would suggest to use one SMPS500R and 2 UCD180ST for surround, and one SMPS300R (RE) for each other 3 modules. or, one SMPS800R (RE) for center and surround amplifiers and either one SMPS500R for the 2 UCD180HG or one SMPS300R (RE) for each HG module.

SMPS200QR has the smallest size, just 50x100mm and ~25mm tall from the board base, and it's output voltage is unregulated. For example the output voltage of the +-30V version will be approx. +-31 to +-32V at no load, +-30V at 0.5-1A and will drop to approx. +-28V at full load when the mains voltage is 230V. It is not suitable to supply the UCD modules because the secondary side capacitance of the SMPS200QR is just 2x1800uF for +-30V version or 2x1000uF for higher voltage version. The key feature of this power supply is size and efficiency, no heatsink used for primary side switches and secondary side diodes, when is used as power supply for audio amplifiers with crest factor of at least 3. The amplifier modules supplied from this power supply should have on board capacitors of at least 2200uF on each rail if they are class D or class T, and less capacitance is accepted for class AB amplifiers, such as LM3886 or TDA7293 and many others.

2 SMPS300RE+2 Hypex UCD180...

The most suitable power supply for two UCD180 modules is SMPS500R output voltage set for +-45V....

Thanks a lot for your very detailed answer.:)
My approach wil be cost-driven + scalabilité/possible enhancements.

So first i will go for a double mono 2.0 stéreo amp. because i mostly listen music, even if i like wacth movie, it is not so often.

I will go for 2 SMPS300RE + 2 UC180HGxHR. = double mono archi.
It allows me to add later another 1 SMPS300RE+1UCD for center and SMPS500+2UCD180ST for surround 5.0, and why not an another 2 more surround for a 7.0 system.
ANother option is to keep only Hypex double mono + a standard 5.1/7.1 integrated amp.

Even if i can't understand the difference between SMPS300R versus RE version, i trust you and beleive the 10€ différence can worth it.

My speakers are 8ohms (Paradigm Studio 10, very easy to drive), then no need to have an overpowered SMPS800R for only 2 UCD modules. But it could be interesting to feed 4UCD for people that want to go for Bi-apming with active filters...

Last question : what will be the average delay to ship&receive the materiel in France ? can i have a idea of the shipping cost ? the french toll additionnal taxes?

Best Regards.
Benjamin.

Hello Cristi,

is it possible to use one of your SMPS (two 2000R or one SMPS3K6QR) for the Hypex UcD 2kOEM?

Hypex states that the UcD2k needs an auxiliary supply with the power referenced to V- of the primary supply, and if I understand it correctly in your SMPSs the auxiliary supply is always isolated from the primary supply?

The UcD 2k2 modules are "selling out" right now, and building a big, bad amp with two of them is high on my priority list...

Kind regards,

Arndt

Hello Cristi,

is it possible to use one of your SMPS (two 2000R or one SMPS3K6QR) for the Hypex UcD 2kOEM?

Hypex states that the UcD2k needs an auxiliary supply with the power referenced to V- of the primary supply, and if I understand it correctly in your SMPSs the auxiliary supply is always isolated from the primary supply?

The UcD 2k2 modules are "selling out" right now, and building a big, bad amp with two of them is high on my priority list...

Kind regards,

Arndt

you can`t use it for the -15v referenced to V- because it needs 1A unless cristi can modify it to deliver more current.

cristi i have sent you an email at your site.

contact me i need a pair of smps2000r fast

your pm folder here is full.

George, I got your order, I had no internet since last thursday. I just need to ask you if you are sure about the output voltage, since you ordered +72V and +-84V would be more appropriate. Is just a suggestion, I will send you the one you need as soon as you confirm. My inbox is full, (since my donation expired and i was kindly suggested to make another one otherwise (x),) i can't see how to delete the old messages since i have hundreds.
Till then, I can be contacted by mail connexelectronic()gmail.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.