• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Switched Mode Power Supplies (SMPS)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Cristi, an SMPS500R with custom +/-35V cut out on me and the fuse has blown.

I did the incandescent light bulb test as mentioned in an earlier post and the bulb lights continuously when power is turned on. Are the rails are possibly shorted?

Please advise next steps.

Cristi, an SMPS500R with custom +/-35V cut out on me and the fuse has blown.

I did the incandescent light bulb test as mentioned in an earlier post and the bulb lights continuously when power is turned on. Are the rails are possibly shorted?

Please advise next steps.

Just to add a bit more information: I have the SMPS500R main voltage connected to a class D amplifier. The aux output is unused. Everything worked fine for many hours until the SMPS500R just stopped.

The fuse it came with is rated at 5A, but I think I read that 8-10A is more appropriate. Could it be that the wrong fuse was put in? Then again the lightbulb across the fuse connections did light continuously....so I don't know.

Marco, can you send me a picture of the setup ? the hum have probably other source, an incorrect wire routing or GND loop. the acctual transformers for all the LLC converters have very low stray capacitance between primary and secondary side and hum caused by common mode currents is less likely to appear.
Jclin4, I prefer to be sent back, contact me for details. if there is a problem and is not working again, it might be easier for both of us if is sent back and repair or replaced. in this way i can also identify if there is any manufacturing problem with that particular version, since now i only have the SMPS500R-110V version with problems and i want to find the cause.

With most configurations, the SMPS and amplifier is working fine with the GND loop breaker connected, and only in some cases where several power supplies are using in the same enclosure which share the output GND might need to be disconnected.
Try to route all the cables at least 5-10 cm away from the power supply, and straight away from it, do not make loops on which the transformer fringing flux can induce noisy currents, and use only one GND point, star GND.

Brian, TAS5630 requires single rail supply voltage, 48-50V and probably aux. voltage for bias and housekeeping circuitry, depending on the board implementation. I suggest to use the SMPS500RS-48V version, since this power supply can deliver the necessary current to supply such amplifier which normally would deliver up to 2x250W.

The 2x300W stated power is just marketing statement, and is given at ~10% THD or more. That's no music anymore, just acoustical garbage. the TAS56030 can deliver at most 2x250W with reasonable TDH (up to 1%) Most of the IC's manufacturers use to state their power levels at 10% for obvious purposes. When the marketing managers or so called "Project managers" from a given company make the choice of the parts which will be used in some future product, their eyes stall at the first power statement, the large font, bold one, without bothering to read further where the real power in real conditions is barely mentioned.
TDA8950 is declared to be able to deliver 2x150W but at reasonable distortion level, it barely offer more than 2x100W. TA3020 is another good example, the maximum achievable power on 4 R impedance on each channel without the risk of blowing the ic is ~450W. I am more conservative and i supply the IC from a regulated smps which delivers +-61V where can get 400W with low THD. but even if is supplied at absolute maximum voltage of +-70V cannot deliver more than 500W, as i saw on many places that some declared that their amps can deliver 600W, 800W or even 900W in SE, 4R. Do the math, to catch the lie..

The 2x300W stated power is just marketing statement, and is given at ~10% THD or more. That's no music anymore, just acoustical garbage. the TAS56030 can deliver at most 2x250W with reasonable TDH (up to 1%)

Yes, I bought one of the same boards as Brian and didn't realise what was behind the quoted 2x 300W figures until after I got it.

With the 4 ohm floor standing speakers I have, it sounds nice up to about 150W (which for the price I'm still happy with). It's using a MW 400W PS.

I'll be giving one of your amp modules and SMPS a try for the next project. :)

Hi Cristi,

1) What are the dimensions in term of (WxDxH in mm) for SMPS2000R (2 rails) and SMPS3K6QR (2x2 rails) respectively?
2) Is the main voltage output regulated at 10% tolerance with unregulated auxiliary output?
3) Is the output voltage (both main & aux.) configurable to meet custom design without additional charge if within your ranges?

Thanks!
Tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.