• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Switched Mode Power Supplies (SMPS)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I chosed to use caps rated at 50V for the +-50V SMPS because they offer the maximum capacity for the given size. the next supply voltage caps, 63V would be just 4700uF or less for the same size.
Every electrolytic capacitor is able to work at its rated voltage, and the surge voltage, is usually 20% more than the rated voltage. The power supply has regulated output voltage and the voltage will not increase over the set value to pose risk for caps.

Hi Cristi.

I ordered a SMPS2000R from your side yesterday, and send you a question about how fast you could deliver.
But I get the impression, that it's better to contact you here on this site. And so I do.

How fast can you deliver the SMPS2000R?
I have a deadline crawling up my back, and I am anxious to know the date.

Goetz, i quote the reply of the email sent me with the same question: The most suitable power supply for UCD180 is SMPS300R. I recommend to use one power supply for each amplifier module. the output voltage should be differential, +-42V in the manual is recommended the maximum voltage +-45V.

Dan, i will send the power supply tomorrow, the standard shipping takes about 2 weeks. if you need urgent, i can send with DHL. that will take less than one week, about 2 days from here to HK and another 3-4 days to destination. please contact me by mail for details and DHL quote.

Hey So im gonna build a power amplifier the L25D by LJM, and im going for a SMPS from you guys :) What SMPS would be best? SMPS800R Or the SMPS500R

And What i the shipping price to norway?

And i was thinking about having a 12Vdc Trigger in, on my amplifier. but all i can find is Soft start Board with the 12v trigger. Since your SMPS already have Softstart will this damage the smps in anyway?

In the L25D Ljm forum, on of the builders there who are using an SMPS from you, said that you recommended him using on big filter cap, one on each of the channels 18000uF. Why is this?

Thanks in advanced
Jørgen Solvik

Last edited:
Happy user

I'm using a SMPS300R on my T2 amp since 5 months and I'm still very happy with it.
Rock solid (very stable) death silent (no hearable noise - but 86db Speakers) and working as a horse (not one single failure, electrical or thermal or...).
It that way, waiting a little longer was rewarding.

Thinking of building my next project. As the user ^^ I'll give the IRS2092 (the l20d version) a try. Powering it at +/- 70V what would you recommend: SMPS500R or SMPS800R for more current?

Thanks

smps300r voltage fluctuates. under a load, it dies altogether

I bought two connex smps300r's and 4 t1's. I noticed one of the power supplies was making a very light clicking noise. About a click per second. When connected to a T1, the clicking speeds up to about 2 clicks per second. Load or no load, the voltage fluctuates from 35 to 37 roughly. The other power supply is solid at 36V and I can't hear any clicking. I connected one supply to two t1's and the other supply to the other two t1's, with a common ground, keeping the + voltage separate. The clicking or voltage fluctuations is making its way into the audio. When I mute the audio, there is a light thump-thump sound coming from the speakers. I turned up the volume on the pre-amp and the power supply died completely. I removed the bad supply and powered all 4 t1's from the one good supply and it sounds good. I then plugged in the bad supply without a load and it is outputting 35-37 volts, still clicks, and still fluctuates. I noticed that when I connect a load, it seems to be drawing more current than I would expect. For instance, when I connect a T1 to it, even with the T1 turned off, I measured .4 to .6 amps. What are some things I can check? Does this sound like maybe a bad voltage regulator maybe?

Last edited:
n8huntsman : from your description, it is possible that one of the voltage balancing and bias resistors was broken. the resistor is placed close to the edge of the board between the primary side caps and could be broken during shipping. the broken leg can be resoldered and test again. if there is other cause of malfunction, i can provide you advices for troubleshooting or we can replace it, as you wish.

The resistors appear to be ok. I tried to measure the resistance of the resistors but can't get good results with it on the board because of the caps. The measurement I was getting would start at around 1MΩ and drop down to 50kΩ the longer I held the probes to the resistor. I checked the voltage across the resistor and got 155vdc on one and 165vdc on the other. I noticed that on the one that measured 165vdc, there is also AC voltage. The vac would be 0, then go to about .5vac corresponding to the clicking that I hear. Then back to 0vac. Looks like a heartbeat. I've attached a screenshot of it. What are some troubleshooting steps?

WP_000383.jpg

Ok, next please measure the voltage on the 15V zenner diode, D11, the only diode non-SMD which is between the rectifier bridge and first Electrolytic capacitor from mains side. it should be around 12 when power supply has no load and around 13-14 under load.
there are 2 small electrolytics, measure the voltage on both of them, one should show same voltage as D11 the other one ~20V with no load and 25 or more with load. if this voltage is missing, so the problem might be on the bias supply circuit.

use mains isolation transformer and do not touch any part of the board while working and at least few minutes after power off. Before trying to debug the board, you must have proper skills and tools and do not attempt to do anything which you are not sure about.
If you get stuck at any point trying to debug the power supply, i suggest to send it back for repair or replace. Is easier, better and safer to be repaired by us.

SMPS300R +/- 48 V is enough?

Hi Cristi,
I was planning to buy two stereo amp kits from Audiophonics - Câbles, Amplificateurs et Accessoires DIY.
They appear to use your well regarded SMPS300R, which feeds two UCD180
modules in each kit.
Kits DIY Audio - AUDIOPHONICS HYPEX UCD180HG Kit DIY Amplificateur 2x180W
I read in this thread that you suggested a more powerful supply for two UCD180s. What kind of issues could I face with just one 300R?
The kit from audiophonics would be a rather hassle free solution. Ready to assemble, shipping from just one vendor, no custom charges, faster shipping etc.
But I would happily go the tough way if you told me to do so. In fact, the price difference for a more powerful SMPS or two of them would be marginal in this configuration.

One more question. Do you find the additional 120 euros for the HxR version worth the expense? Even if your smps has built in current regulation?

Thanks in advance
Oreste

Cristi,

Your SMPS500R seems like a really interesting product for a very reasonable asking price. Due to that I have no practical experience with SMPS I have a few question that I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on:

In the specs it states that it can deliver 4,5A nominal in the 54V setting.

- Does that mean that it can actually deliver twice of that for the "peaks" to generate 4,5*2*58V = 522W nominal?

Also if the amp is to deal with difficult loads and needs to deliver as much current as possible that the SMPS500R will able to deliver.
- Does that mean short term nominal current is max 6A meaning 12A max current peaks? Or is the 6A peak the actual limit when using the SMPS in the "54V range"?

I understand that the regulation of the SMPS means that it will be very "rigid" hence maintaining a stable voltage within its current limits, but I need to know how to read those current limits as 6A or 12A may seem a bit restricted if the SMPS is to be used for a 500W(below 4ohm) capable amp....

Best,

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.