• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Switched Mode Power Supplies (SMPS)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Cristi,
thanks for your reply.

The A1000SMPS I have is labelled OK 110V on the main transformer.

I have looked at the pcb, I see a wire link labelled 110V, right hand side of the second main capacitor. So if I remove the wirelink I can use it AC in at 240V?

What is the black jumper for? The one left handside of the 1st main capacitor.

Is one SMPS800R sufficient ? or better with 2 x SMPS500R ?

Or can I improve the isolation of one SMPS800R with extra capacitance downstream of the smps ? I presume there is a limit to the capacitance I can use, as it may trip the current limit on switch on ?

Can you recommend a practical way of making the smps quieter for amps with lower psrr?

Regards
fs

The first A1000SMPS version had a small mains auxiliary transformer used to supply the control section of the smps and the remote section (which none of the ppls actually used) then i decided to remove in the later versions, and i have made the supply of the control section more elegant, using a start up circuit. if you have one of that versions with transformer, this must be changed with a 230V transformer as well, and remove the jumper.

for the class A amplifier, using 2 SMPS500R instead of a single SMPS800R will give better channel separation and lower temperature rise.

Hi Cristi,

I saw in some documents you mention regulated SMPS is not mandatory for ClassAB, as these amps have a good psrr.

I would not necessarily second that - good load regulation IMO is mandatory for detailed sound with AB amps (any amp that highly modulates current demand I'd say) - I just did some basic audition with a MW-SMPS and some additional bypass cap mods.

Certainly, the relatively stiff regulation of the SMPS with respect to a mere linear PSU pays off *if* you manage to preserve nice flow in presentation.

Second on my list I'd put line regulation, as with linear PSU I clearly notice differences in quality of the power grid that are periodically with working days / weekend.

As switched amps do not seem to have *that different* PSRR than AB amps, I'd rather go for the same with those amps as well.

Michael

Hi Cristi,
Heres a photo of the actual smps - it appears to have the auxillary transformer, the light blue coloured one I guess.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

larger photo
img198.imageshack.us/f/p1240364.jpg

The transformer seems to have 10 connections in total, which seems a lot, but many may be just for stability and no internal connections. What type of transformer do I need to change it for ? I've looked at the pcb, it must be 3 layers or more, as I can't see enough of the tracks.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

larger photo
img708.imageshack.us/i/p1240367.jpg

Is it practical to change it from 110v to 230v ?

I know there is +- 10% adjustment Vout, if I need lower it to say 40V, does the transformer ratio need to change (It is 50V now)?

Thanks
fs

I have been considering building an amp based on the 500W LME49810 or the TA3020, powered by an SMPS.
The specs for the 500W LME49810 say that two separate voltages are required - +-78V and +-84V. Which would be a suitable SMPS at the connexelectric site for this? Can the SMPS500R or the SMPS800R be modified to provide the different above voltages?
If I wanted to run the TA3020 in BTL mode with ~300W at 8ohms, what would be the ideal supply voltage and would the SMPS500R be suitable for it?

Separately - which would provide better bass (tight, fast and detailed) the LME49810 or the TA3020?

Al, for a class A amplifier, i recommend a regulated SMPS, since the bias current of the amplifier power stage is high, an unregulated power supply will have considerable higher ripple. a linear supply for a class A amplifier use huge capacitors, with values starting from tens of mF to even 0.1F or more. SMPS500R can be used for a class A amplifier with output power up to 100W. considering the amplifier poor efficiency, the power supply would have to supply about 2.5-4 times this power.

Firestorm, please send me the pictures by mail, can't see them here, image$ucks cannot be accessed here...

Michael, the control loop ss model of the LLC converter is determined based on the Bode plots obtained by measuring the the power supply with network analyzer (or with poor's man measurement rig: oscilloscope, signal generator, injection transformer :-( ) then the poles and zeros from the feedback loop compensation can be determined and the power supply can be tuned for proper response modifying the components values.
After tuning the control loop components values, I measured the crossover frequency 8.42KHz with a phase margin of about 50*

Gautamz, the LME49810 amplifier modules require 4 rail supply voltage for best performance when they are supplied from a linear unregulated power supply. the driver stage is supplied with a 5-10V higher voltage than the power stage. when the modules are supplied from a regulated smps, two rail supplies are enough. for LME49810-500W the SMPS2000R can supply 2 modules, and the voltage should be set to +-80V.
for TA3020 in BTL mode, if the power will not exceed 300W, the SMPS500R is enough.
i consider that the LME49810 sound is better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.