• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Switched Mode Power Supplies (SMPS)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Your smps for a music computer

I have looked through this thread to see if my questions have been answered already. I hope I looked carefully.

There are many trying to improve the power supplies for computers used for music playback as inspired by cics and his cMP software. (cicsmemoryplayer.com)

Many have found an improvement due to substituting linear supplies but one wonders if a more audio oriented SMPS could do the job just as well especially the 5 volts rail which requires high current.

At this point we would need a 5 volts supply capable of 2 amps, peak. Would any of your supplies be able to made to produce this low voltage? Of course, there is also the need for a 12 volts and 3.3 volts though these are easier to implement with the linear approach.

If this is possible would you think your supplies vastly superior to the best computer ATX-style supplies?

Thanks,

Cristi, can any of your other SMPS provide single + voltage? I’m looking for somewhere between +24v and +35v.

Thanks

What output current do you need ? Does it need aux. voltage as well ?

SMPS250 should be big enough – it’s for 2 TC2000/STA508 modules into 8 ohm drivers. I don’t need another AUX voltage, as I can get one off the SMPS500R for my BIPS modules.

Hi Cristi, my comment about the SMPS250 was in regard to the single + voltage question - can the SMPS250 supply this?

Thanks

I have looked through this thread to see if my questions have been answered already. I hope I looked carefully.

There are many trying to improve the power supplies for computers used for music playback as inspired by cics and his cMP software. (cicsmemoryplayer.com)

Many have found an improvement due to substituting linear supplies but one wonders if a more audio oriented SMPS could do the job just as well especially the 5 volts rail which requires high current.

At this point we would need a 5 volts supply capable of 2 amps, peak. Would any of your supplies be able to made to produce this low voltage? Of course, there is also the need for a 12 volts and 3.3 volts though these are easier to implement with the linear approach.

If this is possible would you think your supplies vastly superior to the best computer ATX-style supplies?

Thanks,

The current available SMPS's have the auxilliary output current lower than the required one, typically 500mA up to max. 1A. If you wish to get a higher output current a a low voltage, 3.3 or 5V i recommend to use a step-down switching regulator such as LM2576 or LM2596 which can provide the required current and can be supplied from one of the main outputs of the smps.

SMPS for newclassd

Hi Cristi, i need a SMPS to power 2 x NDCX Discrete newlassd modules, they are up to 480 Watts RMS in 4 Ohms, do you think the SMPS A1000SMPS can be ok for that application or
it's better that i wait for the new higher power model?
They need a main rails of +60V/-60V and a secondary +12V/-12V (to extract a +18V from the +12V, referenced to -60V with a 7818 added regulator for the Vgate)

Thanks, Roberto

Last edited:
The A1000SMPS can provide 1000W continuous output power, and 1250 peak power with proper cooling. the main voltage can be set to +-60V, and the aux. is +-12V. the GND for the aux. voltage is separated from the main output GND.
i am not familiar with the NCD modules, but as i saw in their description, they need just V+ and V- referenced to GND and +12V referenced to V- ? if so, then the aux. supply GND can be connected to main output V- and +12V aux, will supply the amplifier driver stage.

The A1000SMPS can provide 1000W continuous output power, and 1250 peak power with proper cooling. the main voltage can be set to +-60V, and the aux. is +-12V. the GND for the aux. voltage is separated from the main output GND.
i am not familiar with the NCD modules, but as i saw in their description, they need just V+ and V- referenced to GND and +12V referenced to V- ? if so, then the aux. supply GND can be connected to main output V- and +12V aux, will supply the amplifier driver stage.

Hi Cristi, from the newclassd PSU page:

NewClassD PSU Module

Gate Drive Regulated 20 V 1 Amp +/- 1V

Regards

1A at 20V is the current capability of the power supply from the provided link. the amplifier does not require such current. most of the amplifiers require 12V to 20V at 50-250mA.

Sure Cristi, the required power for the gate drive input is less that the one provided from the PSU.
I've found these useful notes too:

NCDX is compatible with existing NewClassD fast recovery power supplies, and has compatible gain, and same input/output connection setup with unbalanced and fully balanced input options. It requires a power supply of + - 58V to give 200 W rms in 8 Ohms, and also a gate drive voltage of ~20V, 200 mA is required.
NCDX will work perfectly with +/- 70V supply rail, giving extra power in 8 Ohms and up to 480 Watts RMS in 4 Ohms.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.