Switched Mode Power Supplies (SMPS) - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Inactive Vendor Forums > Connexelectronic

Connexelectronic Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Old 23rd July 2010, 09:34 PM   #81
diyAudio Member

Default Your smps for a music computer

I have looked through this thread to see if my questions have been answered already. I hope I looked carefully.

There are many trying to improve the power supplies for computers used for music playback as inspired by cics and his cMP software. (cicsmemoryplayer.com)

Many have found an improvement due to substituting linear supplies but one wonders if a more audio oriented SMPS could do the job just as well especially the 5 volts rail which requires high current.

At this point we would need a 5 volts supply capable of 2 amps, peak. Would any of your supplies be able to made to produce this low voltage? Of course, there is also the need for a 12 volts and 3.3 volts though these are easier to implement with the linear approach.

If this is possible would you think your supplies vastly superior to the best computer ATX-style supplies?

Thanks,

Old 25th July 2010, 11:30 PM   #82
fb is offline fb  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fb View Post
Cristi, can any of your other SMPS provide single + voltage? Iím looking for somewhere between +24v and +35v.

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristi View Post
What output current do you need ? Does it need aux. voltage as well ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fb View Post
SMPS250 should be big enough Ė itís for 2 TC2000/STA508 modules into 8 ohm drivers. I donít need another AUX voltage, as I can get one off the SMPS500R for my BIPS modules.
Hi Cristi, my comment about the SMPS250 was in regard to the single + voltage question - can the SMPS250 supply this?

Thanks

Old 26th July 2010, 02:52 AM   #83
Cristi is offline Cristi  Europe
diyAudio Member

The actual version of SMPS250 has dual voltage output. but if only one voltage is needed, this can be done with a simple modification.

Old 26th July 2010, 02:57 AM   #84
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmcinnis View Post
I have looked through this thread to see if my questions have been answered already. I hope I looked carefully.

There are many trying to improve the power supplies for computers used for music playback as inspired by cics and his cMP software. (cicsmemoryplayer.com)

Many have found an improvement due to substituting linear supplies but one wonders if a more audio oriented SMPS could do the job just as well especially the 5 volts rail which requires high current.

At this point we would need a 5 volts supply capable of 2 amps, peak. Would any of your supplies be able to made to produce this low voltage? Of course, there is also the need for a 12 volts and 3.3 volts though these are easier to implement with the linear approach.

If this is possible would you think your supplies vastly superior to the best computer ATX-style supplies?

Thanks,
The current available SMPS's have the auxilliary output current lower than the required one, typically 500mA up to max. 1A. If you wish to get a higher output current a a low voltage, 3.3 or 5V i recommend to use a step-down switching regulator such as LM2576 or LM2596 which can provide the required current and can be supplied from one of the main outputs of the smps.

Old 29th July 2010, 12:20 PM   #85
b_force is offline b_force  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I was wondering if the A500SMPS can also be delivered with a voltage of Ī60V

Old 29th July 2010, 12:55 PM   #86
diyAudio Member

Yes, A500SMPS can deliver about +-60V with 5% margin. if you need exactly +-60V and regulated, i recommend SMPS500R. the output voltage of SMPS500R is also adjustable, within 10-15% limits.

Old 29th July 2010, 01:23 PM   #87
b_force is offline b_force  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

What is the ripple of the A500SMPS at full rms load and what is the switching frequency?

Old 30th July 2010, 02:58 PM   #88
diyAudio Member

The A500SMPS run at about 80Khz and the output ripple is below 150mvv for the 54V version and below 100mvv for lower voltage versions. the SMPS500R run with variable frequency, depending on input voltage and load. the min. freq is 85KHz and maximum at idle or low load >200KHz. the output ripple is below 100mvv.

Old 11th August 2010, 02:06 AM   #89
packman is offline packman  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default SMPS for newclassd

Hi Cristi, i need a SMPS to power 2 x NDCX Discrete newlassd modules, they are up to 480 Watts RMS in 4 Ohms, do you think the SMPS A1000SMPS can be ok for that application or
it's better that i wait for the new higher power model?
They need a main rails of +60V/-60V and a secondary +12V/-12V (to extract a +18V from the +12V, referenced to -60V with a 7818 added regulator for the Vgate)

Thanks, Roberto

Last edited by packman; 11th August 2010 at 02:10 AM.

Old 12th August 2010, 09:00 AM   #90
diyAudio Member

The A1000SMPS can provide 1000W continuous output power, and 1250 peak power with proper cooling. the main voltage can be set to +-60V, and the aux. is +-12V. the GND for the aux. voltage is separated from the main output GND.
i am not familiar with the NCD modules, but as i saw in their description, they need just V+ and V- referenced to GND and +12V referenced to V- ? if so, then the aux. supply GND can be connected to main output V- and +12V aux, will supply the amplifier driver stage.

Hide this!Advertise here!