Switched Mode Power Supplies (SMPS) - Page 64 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Inactive Vendor Forums > Connexelectronic

Connexelectronic Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Old 27th July 2013, 09:07 AM   #631
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

The amplifier decoupling is used to supply the short term transient currents.
The smoothing capacitance is quite effectively isolated from these transients by the impedance of the wiring between the main capacitors and the amplifier devices that actually allow current to flow to the load.

Old 31st July 2013, 04:14 PM   #632
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Hi Andrew,

So what would be your suggestion for best performance of the amp modules?

Thanks
Do

Old 1st August 2013, 08:33 AM   #633
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

I can't design, nor evaluate, an SMPS, so I can't offer an unbiased opinion on SMPS.

I can design linear Transformer+rectifier supplies and linear + linear regulation.
Here I do not believe that the main supply to the output devices should be regulated. A simple linear is good enough, but it MUST be able to deliver current without the voltage collapsing.

Old 4th August 2013, 01:31 AM   #634
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
I can't design, nor evaluate, an SMPS, so I can't offer an unbiased opinion on SMPS.

I can design linear Transformer+rectifier supplies and linear + linear regulation.
Here I do not believe that the main supply to the output devices should be regulated. A simple linear is good enough, but it MUST be able to deliver current without the voltage collapsing.
Yeah, I totally understand but it was just the space requirement needed for linear PSU for powering 6 of those amps boards that caused an issue. But it does sound really good for its purpose which is Home Theater.

Ciao!
Do

Old 21st August 2013, 12:24 PM   #635
i2k92 is offline i2k92  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Hi Christi, do you have any plan to sell smps compatible with ncore amp ? That will be great as hpex smps are expensive

Old 29th August 2013, 06:57 PM   #636
diyAudio Member

Hi Cristi

I bought two of your A1000SMPS power supplies a couple of years ago to use with a pair of SDS-254 Class D Audio amp boards. I have finally gotten around to starting to build the amps up and I realize that the power supplies have no heat sink nor heat slug attached. I know at the time you communicated that the switches and diodes should be thermally coupled to the base of my aluminum case for the amp. The base of the case will be 1/8" (3mm) aluminium plate to which I will couple the diodes/switches using the insulation tabs and screws provided. My questions are:

1) Should I use thermal paste on either side of the insulation tabs?
2) What size should I make the 3mm aluminium base plate for effective heat control?

The base plate will mount to 75mm tall extruded aluminium sides and a 3mm aluminium top plate. Alternatively I could mount the power supply to its own 3mm aluminium plate and mount this with thermal paste to the base plate of the amp enclosure.

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Best regards,
Dave.

Old 30th August 2013, 07:35 AM   #637
diyAudio Member

3 mil base plate is a bit thin to conduct the heat away from the supply quickly. I would use a 8mm plate to make the thermal connection, or use an L shaped alu piece to connect to the case thermally. An Alu case most likely will be sufficient to cool the supply in domestic use.

Old 4th September 2013, 05:26 PM   #638
sellisd is offline sellisd  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristi View Post
flyboi, please resend the mail,
Eric:
the rated power or smps must be chosed in such way that the smps will be able to deliver at least the total power of the amplifiers. in your case, 1200W the next suitable smps is just SMPS2000R for the moment. later this year a smaller version will be available probalby 1200W which will close the gap between 800W and 2000W of R series smps.

Any update on a SMPS between the 800 and 2000 ? 1200W would be great for my application.

Thanks!

Old 25th October 2013, 11:35 PM   #639
alkasar is offline alkasar  France
diyAudio Member

Hello Cristi et al,

I am a happy owner of some Connex SMPS. One of them, a SMPS800R, is embedded on the back of a sub.

Unfortunately, the SMPS is noisy when the sub is playing. The frame of the SMPS transformer is lose and vibrates loudly.

Is there any solution to consolidate the frame and wire ? with some kind of glue maybe ?

Any advise is welcome,
thanks
Al

Old 3rd November 2013, 05:23 AM   #640
Cristi is offline Cristi  Europe
diyAudio Member

Al, please use a 2 components epoxy which can settle in less than one hour to secure the core of the transformer. A loose core can create some annoying noise but the electrical parameters of the transformer won't be changed significantly if any, as long as the core is not broken, and the magnetic path not interrupted.
I wrote a more complete answer to your mail couple of days ago but I always get that error with message not delivered from "Mail Delivery Subsystem"...

Do, please contact me by mail for details regarding SMPS modification.

Hide this!Advertise here!