Switched Mode Power Supplies (SMPS) - Page 59 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Inactive Vendor Forums > Connexelectronic

Connexelectronic Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Old 1st February 2013, 11:12 AM   #581
Bernie7 is offline Bernie7  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Cristi

What is the voltage required of the fan for SMPS800R? Does the speed/voltage change according to temperature?

Old 6th February 2013, 04:06 AM   #582
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Cristi,

I'm interested to buy a SMPS2000R to power a 6 channel amplifier. Each modules is a LM3886 x 3 in parallel capable of delivering 150W.

So I guess the right supply is the SMPS2000R. If I choose custom voltage, say 38Vdc, does it support +/- 10% voltage adjustment as well?

Thanks
Do

Old 19th February 2013, 07:54 AM   #583
Cristi is offline Cristi  Europe
diyAudio Member

Bernie, the voltage is variable, output load and temperature dependendent. when the temperature rise, the fan speed rise too, and the speed is higher for the same temperature when the output current demand is higher.

Dominic, I got your order and we spokt by mail in the meantime,

Old 20th February 2013, 08:28 PM   #584
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_garman View Post
Hi Cristi,

I am using your SMPS800R power supply with an SDS-470 amp board from Class D Audio.

It generally works great, except, I noticed that when I turn it off, there's a "thud" or "thump" that comes out of the speakers. This happens maybe a couple seconds after the power is disconnected. I assume this is the capacitors of the PSU discharging?

Most people typically run their Class D Audio boards using a linear power supply. In fact, I have a second SDS-470 running exactly this way (it was completely pre-built by Class D Audio, i.e. not DIY). This amp does not produce any weird "thud" or "thump" when turning the board off (or on for that matter).

Note that I haven't tried powering the SDS-470 board in question with a linear power supply. So I suppose it could possibly be an issue with the board itself. But before I do further testing, I was wondering if you had any thoughts or ideas on this?

Thanks,
Matt
Matt, just curious. What voltage combination did you order with your SMPS800R for the SDS470, +-60, +-72, or did you special order a different voltage set? I'm interested in getting the same this versus a linear power supply.

Old 24th February 2013, 01:13 AM   #585
Bernie7 is offline Bernie7  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristi View Post
Bernie, the voltage is variable, output load and temperature dependendent. when the temperature rise, the fan speed rise too, and the speed is higher for the same temperature when the output current demand is higher.

Dominic, I got your order and we spokt by mail in the meantime,
Can I use a 12vdc fan for smps800r?

Old 27th February 2013, 01:18 AM   #586
flyboi is offline flyboi  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to flyboi
Hi Christi,

I have sent an email to you about smps before CNY. I wonder wether you received it. but just incase, I have sent a follow up email to your gmail account.

Old 11th March 2013, 03:11 PM   #587
diyAudio Member

Hi Cristi,

What is the difference between the SPMS500R and QR?
I plan to use one to power 2 Hypex UCD 180ST Modules and would like to know the difference.

Thanks in advance!

De Haas

Old 14th March 2013, 01:55 AM   #588
diyAudio Member

Default smps for 2 sds-470 modules

Hi,

I'm planning to get an smps to power two cDa sds-470 amp modules, but am having a hard time deciding which one (or ones) to get. Seems like the SMPS800RE would be a good choice, however, since this is for two 600W (4 Ohms) the extra power of the SMPS2000R may be better? Thanks

Old 15th March 2013, 05:56 PM   #589
Cristi is offline Cristi  Europe
diyAudio Member

flyboi, please resend the mail,
De Haas:
Differences between R and QR smps's were explained, but I dont mind to repeat. Their names include the type of pbc assembly, SMPS then the rated output power for audio application (do not make the confusion with long term continuous power rating) and the topology used.
- R stands for Resonant, or soft-switched, and regulared output
- RE: resonant, soft-switched regulated output, enhanced type, meaning more output voltage rails, higher efficiency, added features.
- QR: quasi-resonant, still soft-switched type, but unregulated output voltage. basically electronic transformer with rectifier and filter stage included. the output voltage is proportional to mains voltage, cannot be changed, and the rated output voltage is rated for 230/120V mains, with 20% load. at no load the voltage will be about 3-5% higher and under heavy load will not drop more than 10% with constant mains voltage. the main advantage compared with a mains transformer, rectifier bridge and large capacitors is reduced size, multiple DC output voltages, and complete protections, overload, under-voltage over-voltage short-circuit, over-temperature. all these protections are missing when a mains transformer and rectifier + caps are used, in the best case some fuses are the only protection.

Eric:
the rated power or smps must be chosed in such way that the smps will be able to deliver at least the total power of the amplifiers. in your case, 1200W the next suitable smps is just SMPS2000R for the moment. later this year a smaller version will be available probalby 1200W which will close the gap between 800W and 2000W of R series smps.

since this forum is not always accessible from my location, I set-up a small forum on the connexelectronic domain, don't be shy and click: Forum Connexelectronic • Index page

Old 21st March 2013, 09:54 AM   #590
diyAudio Member

Hello.
I've built 6 of these amplifiers now, and 2 L15D to power my surround system. I use them to bi-amp front an center, while the L15D's are connected to the surround speakers.

The "processor" is a Yamaha RX-A810, receiver with pre-out. Last time I ran YAPO, room correction, I got the message that all my speakers where miswired.

Therefor I tried to measure input/output with an oscilloscope, an learned that the L25D reverse the phase from input to output. Anyone else who has discovered this?

The "prove" is in the picture below, keep in mind that for test purposes I used a small transformer 2x30V/120VA. I normally use 2x45V/500VA for two amplifier connected to a Klipsch RF-82.

Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DS0008.jpg (40.6 KB, 797 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!