Switched Mode Power Supplies (SMPS) - Page 56 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Inactive Vendor Forums > Connexelectronic

Connexelectronic Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Old 21st September 2012, 06:38 PM   #551
diyAudio Member

Is there any benefit from using the CW2C-10A-T with its EMI filter with the A1000SMPS?

Old 22nd September 2012, 04:05 PM   #552
Cristi is offline Cristi  Europe
diyAudio Member

The power supply boards contains only one stage EMI filtering, and for a power supply like A1000SMPS which use the classic hard-switched topology instead of the newest soft-switched topology, an extra EMI filter stage is always welcomed and for sensitive applications necessary.

Old 22nd September 2012, 10:27 PM   #553
diyAudio Member

Interesting; which of your SMPS is soft-switched?

Should I care?

Old 23rd September 2012, 03:19 PM   #554
diyAudio Member

All SMPS which names are ended with R or QR (from Resonant or Quasi-Resonant) are soft switched.
The switching noise and generated EMI is much lower for resonant SMPS types. Also the efficiency, 4-7% higher which means a lot. few percent increase in efficiency can cut the losses in half or reduce the temperature rise with 15-20*C which can double the MTBF figures.

Old 16th October 2012, 09:15 AM   #555
djQUAN is offline djQUAN  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to djQUAN Send a message via Yahoo to djQUAN
Cristi,

I'm contemplating on using the SMPS800RE (with isolated 12V aux supplies) to power the 500W LME49810 and adding a couple 10,000uF 100V caps (have those already)across the high current rails for additional peak current capacity. Will the caps affect the loop stability of the SMPS? Is the idea ok or would you suggest a better combination?
I want it to power a dual 2 ohm subwoofer and looking for atleast 500W or more for music/HT use.

Old 22nd October 2012, 04:16 AM   #556
kp93300 is offline kp93300  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

my requirements
Input V -240 ac
output --24 v dc single + , 4 amp

Is SMPS300RE suitable and is this the quietest smps in your range ?

regards
kp93300

Old 22nd October 2012, 05:22 PM   #557
diyAudio Member

Kp, for single 24V SMPS300R, not RE is suitable, SMPS300RE has only dual output voltage, +-xx V. If the required current is max. 4A, the SMPS200QR can be used too. it is the smallest size power supply with output power >200W for audio applications or ~ 100W continuous. If only one rail is needed, then the diodes from the negative output can be reversed and both positive an negative output can be paralleled to increase the output current, or to allow the diodes to work at half current.

djQUAn, just see the message posted, I don't get notifications from forum when new message is posted, and unless I check from time to time, have no idea what's new.
SMPS800RE can be used for LME49810-300 and 500W amplifiers, though the 500W version is at limit, because the lower efficiency of class AB amplifiers (~60%) make them very power hungry. The suitable power supply would be SMPS800RE with +-72V main output and 2x5V aux. to supply the driver stage with +-72V +5V Adding more capacitors is not necessary or recommended, as the power supply has regulated output, and large capacitors can trigger the latched over-current protection during turn on.
also, remember that the LME49810-500W is rated for 4R operation. if your woofer has 2R, then you must use lower supply voltage to get the same power, +-60V and 2x5V aux.

Yet I don't understand why you don't consider a class D amplifier for subwoofer? I can offer you several class D solutions, amp+smps at a fraction of the size and cost of the similar class AB amps. the real advantage of using LME49810 amps is not in sub-woofer applications, but along with high quality, very sensitive full-range speakers, where the details and frequency response on all audio band and up to 70KHz is better.

Old 22nd October 2012, 07:00 PM   #558
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristi View Post
...I don't get notifications from forum when new message is posted, and unless I check from time to time, have no idea what's new.
Cristi, if you normally use "quick reply" select "go advanced", and under Additional Options there will be a section for Thread Subscription, which will send email notification of replies.

Old 23rd October 2012, 01:05 AM   #559
djQUAN is offline djQUAN  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to djQUAN Send a message via Yahoo to djQUAN
Hi,

thanks for the reply. The subwoofer has dual 2 ohm coils so it can be wired as a 1 ohm or 4 ohm load. It's actually designed for SQ but low sensitivity so I need a bit of power. I am also open to class D options but I like the simplicity of the AB amp incase I needed to repair it in the future. If you have better suggestions I am open to it.

My other choice was the TA3020 Audio Amplifier v4b bridged into the single 4 ohm load but my experience with Tripath amps are they sound very good with mid-highs but don't do well with subs.

I have already built the subwoofer filter/crossover and added a 180deg output so I can have balanced or inverted output for bridging if needed.

Old 23rd October 2012, 05:22 PM   #560
diyAudio Member

Hi Cristi,

I am using your SMPS800R power supply with an SDS-470 amp board from Class D Audio.

It generally works great, except, I noticed that when I turn it off, there's a "thud" or "thump" that comes out of the speakers. This happens maybe a couple seconds after the power is disconnected. I assume this is the capacitors of the PSU discharging?

Most people typically run their Class D Audio boards using a linear power supply. In fact, I have a second SDS-470 running exactly this way (it was completely pre-built by Class D Audio, i.e. not DIY). This amp does not produce any weird "thud" or "thump" when turning the board off (or on for that matter).

Note that I haven't tried powering the SDS-470 board in question with a linear power supply. So I suppose it could possibly be an issue with the board itself. But before I do further testing, I was wondering if you had any thoughts or ideas on this?

Thanks,
Matt

Hide this!Advertise here!