Switched Mode Power Supplies (SMPS) - Page 46 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Inactive Vendor Forums > Connexelectronic

Connexelectronic Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Old 18th February 2012, 07:08 AM   #451
Cristi is offline Cristi  Europe
diyAudio Member

n8huntsman : from your description, it is possible that one of the voltage balancing and bias resistors was broken. the resistor is placed close to the edge of the board between the primary side caps and could be broken during shipping. the broken leg can be resoldered and test again. if there is other cause of malfunction, i can provide you advices for troubleshooting or we can replace it, as you wish.

Old 18th February 2012, 06:47 PM   #452
diyAudio Member

The resistors appear to be ok. I tried to measure the resistance of the resistors but can't get good results with it on the board because of the caps. The measurement I was getting would start at around 1MΩ and drop down to 50kΩ the longer I held the probes to the resistor. I checked the voltage across the resistor and got 155vdc on one and 165vdc on the other. I noticed that on the one that measured 165vdc, there is also AC voltage. The vac would be 0, then go to about .5vac corresponding to the clicking that I hear. Then back to 0vac. Looks like a heartbeat. I've attached a screenshot of it. What are some troubleshooting steps?

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 20th February 2012, 11:53 AM   #453
diyAudio Member

Ok, next please measure the voltage on the 15V zenner diode, D11, the only diode non-SMD which is between the rectifier bridge and first Electrolytic capacitor from mains side. it should be around 12 when power supply has no load and around 13-14 under load.
there are 2 small electrolytics, measure the voltage on both of them, one should show same voltage as D11 the other one ~20V with no load and 25 or more with load. if this voltage is missing, so the problem might be on the bias supply circuit.

use mains isolation transformer and do not touch any part of the board while working and at least few minutes after power off. Before trying to debug the board, you must have proper skills and tools and do not attempt to do anything which you are not sure about.
If you get stuck at any point trying to debug the power supply, i suggest to send it back for repair or replace. Is easier, better and safer to be repaired by us.

Old 22nd February 2012, 01:31 PM   #454
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
would anyone owning the SMPS500QR (symmetrical version) be kind enough to measure the exact total height (including PCB)? I found 3 different values mentioned. thanks.

Old 24th February 2012, 06:33 PM   #455
diyAudio Member

Default SMPS300R +/- 48 V is enough?

Hi Cristi,
I was planning to buy two stereo amp kits from Audiophonics - Cābles, Amplificateurs et Accessoires DIY.
They appear to use your well regarded SMPS300R, which feeds two UCD180
modules in each kit.
Kits DIY Audio - AUDIOPHONICS HYPEX UCD180HG Kit DIY Amplificateur 2x180W
I read in this thread that you suggested a more powerful supply for two UCD180s. What kind of issues could I face with just one 300R?
The kit from audiophonics would be a rather hassle free solution. Ready to assemble, shipping from just one vendor, no custom charges, faster shipping etc.
But I would happily go the tough way if you told me to do so. In fact, the price difference for a more powerful SMPS or two of them would be marginal in this configuration.

One more question. Do you find the additional 120 euros for the HxR version worth the expense? Even if your smps has built in current regulation?

Thanks in advance
Oreste

Old 24th February 2012, 09:31 PM   #456
diyAudio Member

Does anyone know, if the "jumper points" need to be soldered together on Cristi's SMPS'/smps2000R, for 230volts or not?
I don't wont to blow the input caps.

Old 25th February 2012, 09:28 AM   #457
avr300 is offline avr300  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi Christi..

Any problems regarding instability running the SMPS180QR with additional 1500uF on it's outputs ?

Old 27th February 2012, 02:07 PM   #458
diyAudio Member

Dan, for 230V operation, the jumpers must NOT be soldered. just for 110V operation.

AVR300, SMPS180QR has 1800/2200uF on board, and adding just 1500uF externally will not be a problem.

Old 27th February 2012, 05:19 PM   #459
avr300 is offline avr300  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Thank you. PSU ordered.

Old 27th February 2012, 09:54 PM   #460
diyAudio Member

Cristi,

Your SMPS500R seems like a really interesting product for a very reasonable asking price. Due to that I have no practical experience with SMPS I have a few question that I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on:

In the specs it states that it can deliver 4,5A nominal in the 54V setting.

- Does that mean that it can actually deliver twice of that for the "peaks" to generate 4,5*2*58V = 522W nominal?

Also if the amp is to deal with difficult loads and needs to deliver as much current as possible that the SMPS500R will able to deliver.
- Does that mean short term nominal current is max 6A meaning 12A max current peaks? Or is the 6A peak the actual limit when using the SMPS in the "54V range"?

I understand that the regulation of the SMPS means that it will be very "rigid" hence maintaining a stable voltage within its current limits, but I need to know how to read those current limits as 6A or 12A may seem a bit restricted if the SMPS is to be used for a 500W(below 4ohm) capable amp....

Best,

Last edited by Juhleren; 27th February 2012 at 09:56 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!