Switched Mode Power Supplies (SMPS) - Page 18 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Inactive Vendor Forums > Connexelectronic

Connexelectronic Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Old 15th January 2011, 07:27 PM   #171
mige0 is offline mige0  Austria
diyAudio Member

Location: Austria, at a beautiful place right in the heart of the Alps.
Not really - there are no line regulation nor load regulation data included (neither plots versus frequency nor simple numbers) - thanks anyway !

Michael

Old 16th January 2011, 07:27 AM   #172
diyAudio Member

Regarding the SMPS1000
- is there a version available for +/-48V and if so, what would be the current delivery of such a version (continuous / peak) ?

------

Edit:
Found it : 48V already is the "stock version" with 12 / 16A

Michael

Last edited by mige0; 16th January 2011 at 07:35 AM.

Old 16th January 2011, 07:37 AM   #173
diyAudio Member

Other question regarding the SMPS1000 :

Would the topology and layout allow for split mass connect by a mod (cut some traces) - to allow for star ground connection of the pos and neg supply separately ?

Michael

Last edited by mige0; 16th January 2011 at 07:40 AM.

Old 17th January 2011, 07:37 AM   #174
Shiva5 is offline Shiva5  United States
diyAudio Member

Is the 800R available with a single voltage, like 50v?

Old 17th January 2011, 09:05 AM   #175
Cristi is offline Cristi  Europe
diyAudio Member

Michael,

The SMPS500R both single and dual output has line and load regulation below 1%. this means that the output voltage variation from zero load to 100% load will not drop or increase with more than 1%. typical values which i measured are ~220mV for the +-54V one, ~190mV for 48V single one, ~120mV for 24V single one. output ripple is also below 200mV for >35V versions and below 100-150mV for lower output voltage ones.
Off course the ripple values can be improved by using an additional LC filter, on each rail. this will increase the size, weight and cost, and i would say that without major improvements in the sound quality of the amplifier. the main feature of this power supplies is the small size, high efficiency and reasonable price. if there will be request for an "ultimate" smps, i will consider doing that too. but at least one of the above listed features will suffer for this purpose. having a non-ideal power supply is not the end of the word for any amplifier, which will use it's PSRR characteristic to further improve what goes out to the speakers. at the end, the classical power supply made of mains transformer, rectifier, capacitors, cannot claim better performances when it comes to ripple and load regulation. of course can be better than a poorly designed smps with unregulated output, and without EMI filters.
Regarding your power demand of 1000W at +-48V, if you are looking for a low noise, low footprint, high efficiency SMPS, i suggest to chose a SMPS800R which can provide this power as peak power, and since the amplifier does not require continuous power would do the job.
Regarding split GND, well, is not something very common, at least among regulated output smps's. mainly because the regulation will be more complicated, the smps will have equivalent of two independent outputs, which then you connect them together. something similar with the common ATX PC supply. using short, thick GND connection can lead to same result.
I don't see an obvious reason why one would try to avoid any potential loop on the GND of the power supply to amp only, since there is no low-signal involved to create noise. of course the input signal and output to speakers GND should be connected to the amplifier board GND not smps GND.

Old 17th January 2011, 10:47 AM   #176
diyAudio Member

For a starter this sounds good regarding load and line reglation - why not including in the PDF?

Regarding split GND - well - I know what I usually do is "not common" (almost never is ).
As much as I agree to the points you brought up, and as much I was looking at the topic form even more perspectives - my long time experience simply stays - to some extent - in disharmony to common technical explanations.

So, as I rather use to follow my solid practical experience than nice theories (even my own ones ) I'll stick to my PSU layout.

The choice I have - as it seems - is to either go with two single supply or - with a dual for which you can tell me where exactly I can cut traces...

Should not be any big deal, as telling from the SMPS800 single, there is no feedback loop taken from the secondary - no ?!?
To design a new board for such extravagant users like me seems to be overkill (though I'm at around a six way active - at the moment)

Michael

Last edited by mige0; 17th January 2011 at 11:04 AM.

Old 18th January 2011, 10:03 AM   #177
Cristi is offline Cristi  Europe
diyAudio Member

As i wrote on your PM, i'm thinking to make a new version, which will have multiple isolated outputs, giving freedom to the user to connect them as he wish, series parallel, or whatever combination. regulation will be done in the primary side, not secondary as the actual ones have. the main drawback, which i must figure out how to solve will be to reduce the voltage unbalance between outputs when these will be uneven loaded.
as soon as i find some time, i start to dig&play with...

Old 18th January 2011, 04:18 PM   #178
diyAudio Member

Sounds good to me

Michael

Old 19th January 2011, 09:16 PM   #179
diyAudio Member

Hi Cristi,
I am looking to substitute 2 x 400VA +40v 0v -40v (DC) supply with one or two of your smps. It is for 2 x 50W class A amplifier with bias set at 1.9 amps for each channel.

Which of your smps will be the best for this application ?

Thanks
fs

Old 9th February 2011, 05:25 PM   #180
diyAudio Member

Hi Cristi,
新年快乐!
Is it a simple matter to change the AC in voltage from 120v to 240v on a A1000SMPS?

Regards
fs

Hide this!Advertise here!