• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Switched Mode Power Supplies (SMPS)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Cristi,
I am interested in your SMPS500R power supply for driving hypex ucd400hg amplifiers. I have a few questions and I hope you can help me on this:
1. Do you think it's possible to use the aux. output of the SMPS500R with a switch to control the ON/OFF feature of the ucd (pin J1-4, ~12V)? In the user manual of the ucd400, it is written that the pin should be connected to an open collector output. I am worried that by not doing so, the ucd or smps would be damaged.
2. Considering that the SMPS500R is already regulated, I am wondering if it would make a difference if I get the optional HxR regulators from Hypex. What's your opinion about this?
Thanks a lot,
Richard

LED power supply use

Hi Cristi,

I am trying to find a SMPS for driving LED's. This is obviously a very continuous power requirement, with no peak loading. So I have a couple questions.

1. Would it be possible to drive your SMPS300R at 4.2A, 48V?

power supply is intended for audio applications where the crest factor (peak to average ratio) is at least 3. The average power consumed by an audio amplifier is at most 1/3 of its rated output power, so the power supply can be thermally designed to withstand 1/3 of this power but electrically able to sustain the nominal and maximum power. in other words, with a bigger heatsink and forced air cooling should be able to deliver the rated power.​

Your prior post indicated that it only had power dissipation capability of 2.1A, but the electronics were good for 6.3A.

2. Is the board conformally coated? Or do I have a chance of completely enclosing it and maintaining acceptable thermal performance? This power supply would be in an environment that requires at least conformal coating, if not complete enclosure due to moisture and salt.

Not having details of the design, it is difficult to tell if it is possible to enclose this supply (maybe in an aluminum box that would provide a sink, or better yet, if efficient enough, a plastic box.).

Can you make any recommendations?

Thanks,
Dan

For a stereo UCD amplifier i recommend to use a SMPS800R or A1000SMPS.

The UCD400 module ON/Off switch pin must be pulled low to activate the module. the easiest way is to connect this pin to GND. supplying voltage from aux output is not the way to do-it. there are two ways to implement the turn-on. the best one is to use a general purpose NPN transistor with emmiter connected to GND collector at ON/Off pin and base to +12V aux tru a 10K resistor. in addition, a 1k-2k2 resistor between base and emmiter should be connected and if delayed turn on is needed, a 470uF cap as well in parallel with BE junction. another way is to use a 12V zenner diode and a 220R resistor between -Vaux and On/Off pin, the diode should be connected with the cathode at module tru resistor and anode at -Vaux.
The HxR regulators serve other purposes, they supply the small signal stages with a very clean and stable DC voltage which increase the amplifier SN ratio and reduce THD. for best performance, consider using them as well.

LED power supplies have different specs than audio power supplies, most of them are constant current-constant voltage power supplies, and they MUST be able to deliver the nominal power for indefinite period of time, in extreme environmental conditions, with minimum or maximum mains voltage available without overheating or derrating.
I designed such power supplies, please contact me by mail and we can discuse details.

Hi Cristi
I purchase recently two A500SMPS. They works great until yesteday.
Unluckily, yesteday I knock over a drop of
welding métal between the 10uF chemical caps. So I thing it makes a short between this 2 caps.Nothing seem to be burn , but no more tension on the output of the SMPS. The two bigs heatsink become hot.
What can I do ?

Hi Cristi,

I'm considering to buy two Hypex UcD180Hg for my BD15 bass drivers from bd-design.nl (dbSPL=99, Re=13Ohm). I guess that i will never need the maximum possible power of these amplifiers. The modules will be placed inside the speaker's enclosure.

Am I correct in assuming that one SMPS300R for each module would be the best choice for them? Which voltage should I select (... and btw how shall I do it in your shop, I did not find any possibility to chose)?

As I'm still considering to try out some Tripath TK2050, it would be perfect, If I could use the same power supply for them.

Thanks,
Matthias

jacques: please send me some pictures by mail with the pcb to see what could be damaged. i noticed that you ordered a new one in the meantime. i would like to send you parts to repair the damaged one as well.

Matthias: yes, one SMPS300R for each UCD module will work fine. the supply voltage should be about +-42V. please leave a note when you order the smps the desired output voltage.
the output voltage can be configured as single or dual during assembly but is difficult to modify this by the user, since there are several components which must be changed.

Hi Cristi,

First of all, my TDA8950SMPS modules are working great. Thanks.

I am building a pair of 41HZ truepath amps (TA3020) and intend to use your SMPS800R power supplies for each of them. (running 50V with 4 ohm speakers)

I'm wondering if it is possible to order them without the IEC connector?

Would the SMPS500R be enough?

Mark: at +-50V on 4R you should get about 200-250W per channel. SMPS800R will do the job great, but if not more than 250W is enough, SMPS500R are fine too.
if you decide to order the SMPS800R, please leave a note to not solder the IEC connector.
Many customers asked me why the SMPS800R has onboard IEC connector. I added this connector because when i designed this power supply, i made-it for TA3020v3d amplifier, and have the same size and shape with the amplifier board. with these two boards can build a complete 2x400W amplifier with the size of just 210x170x40mm.

DarpMalone: 2A from the aux. output of SMPS300R is a little too much, unless i make the transformer with thicker wires for aux. winding and larger current diodes for aux. but if the aux. is loaded prior the main supply or without the main supply being loaded with at least 10% of the rated current, the power supply might shut-down.
first, are you sure that the miniDSP require so much current ???? 2 A is too much for some DSP boards only.

Attachments

• DSC09370.JPG
    DSC09370.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 510
Hi :)

I recently ordered a SMPS500R-Single power supply, and requested a custom voltage of 32-39V. A little later, I found out that I had made a mistake in calculations, and I actually need a 27V version :)

I sent an email with a change request to Connexelectronic, but I haven't received a reply. I just wanted to make sure that Connex has received the email :) Sometimes these things get lost in spam filters etc.

Thank you! Looking forward to trying out the supply.

-kd

Hi Cristi,

Just ordered 2 x SMPS800R. I put a note saying +-60V and no IEC connector as you suggested. (Order no. 280)

Should be a nice match for my 41hz truepaths, which have been waiting about 2 years for me to finish. :eek:

My TDA8950SMPS amps are still going strong. Thanks!!

please contact me by mail or PM for orders information and tracking numbers. i want this thread to be dedicated only to technical discussions.
also, when sending a mail or PM please consider the time shift and the fact that i do not have access to internet all the time, and it might take 24h or more to answer to some mails.
thank you for understanding.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.