• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Class D Audio Amplifiers

If I ran three 400W IRS2092 modular amplifiers for LCR 8ohms speakers could I use the one SMPS800R? Would the output for 8R be 200W per channel?

I am also very interested in the 12V trigger question, as I will run these amplifiers from my AV Receiver as a preamp.

Last edited:
for whatever reason, I didn't get any notification that a new message was posted, and I just saw your question now.

If the total power required by the amplifiers is below or same as the rated power of the SMPS, then the amplifier modules can be supplied with SMPS800R. thus if the 400W version modules are used with 8R load, the output power will be just ~200W on 8R, within the limits.

each IRS2092 amplifier module has mute control pin which is active when is pulled low, or connected to GND. default more is run, so if you want to use a 12V trigger, you need to make a simple NAND circuit using n diodes (3 for 3 modules) one NPN transistor and two 2k2 and 4k7 resistors.

What to pick?

Hi there,

I'm wondering what amplifier modules I should choose for my future setup: openbaffle WMTM needing 3 or 4 channels (3 if I parallel the mids). I specially need some power in de bass department, but would like to use the same amps on all channels. All units are 8R, except when parallelling the mids. It will be connedted to a minidsp 4x10HD.

So my thoughts went out to the IRS2092 Stereo Amplifier, 400w to be on the safe site, two modules powered by one SMPS800R@60V. Wtonof those sets should be able to power my OB's I guess.

But what would be reasons not to pick the stereo modules, but go for the CxD400 or CxD300(not balanced)?

CxD400, CxD250-HP and IRS2092 Stereo amplifier have balanced input, with input impedance 20Kr. CxD300-8R and IRS2092 modular amplifier does not have balanced input and their input impedance is 3K. Their input need to be buffered to provide matched impedance. There are several advantages of using balanced input, the noise imunity is higher, and in multi-channel designs the GND loop effects can be easily avoided or reduced if one of the inputs, usually inverted one is tied to GND at the signal source point. Also it allows easier BTL connection by simply swapping inverted input with non-inverted input of one of the channels which has to be 180* out of phase.