• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Class D Audio Amplifiers

two cxdr-300 with one smps500r

Im building an amplifier for my subwoofer project. Im going to use 4 peerless sls213 with a P of 90w. The Revc is 5.5Ω, Zmin 6.2Ω of the driver. The nominal impedance is 8 ohm.Im living in Norway so mains voltage is 230V AC.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Will this amplifier fit my needs? Will this work optimal?
A sufficient answer would be: "yes" or "no".

Thanks in advance
Karken

I'm currently looking at purchasing two CxD250-HP and powering them with a single SMPS600RxE, but given the limited information for these products on the connexelectronic site have two questions.

1. The description for the CxD250-HP only lists "under-voltage, over-voltage, over-temperature with temperature feedback output monitor peaking detection" for its protection set - is this actually the complete list? Or does it have the same protection set as the CxD500? I'm guessing that it's actually the same protection set given that not including over-current would be a bit peculiar and they appear to have the same physical auxiliary supply connector.

2. Are the DC component protection and click/pop free startup features of the CxD500 (and CxD250-HP if it is indeed the same) dependent upon connection to the power supply by the auxiliary supply connector? I'm guessing they would be, but that's assuming it's the same as described in the IRS2092 Stereo Amplifier data manual. If they are all the same, then is the shut-down I/O pin also designed such that it could be wired directly from two amplifier modules to the power supply?

The CxD250-HP has all the protections including over-current protection which is inherently done by the IRS2092 controller. Perhaps I should mention that too, is not very obvious. In addition has DC detection and mute, clip detection (only detects the peaks, does not alterate the input at all) and temperature feeback.
The DC detection and fast-shut down will be implemented in the new batch of boards which will be released with a new dedicated power supply, similar with SMPS600RxE as well as a single on-board amplfier and power supply.

Thanks for the reply Cristi. I'd never even thought to look at the datasheet on the IRS2092 controller itself for inbuilt protections - definitely makes sense that they'd implement the over-current there though.

The DC detection and fast-shut down will be implemented in the new batch of boards which will be released with a new dedicated power supply, similar with SMPS600RxE as well as a single on-board amplfier and power supply.
The above implies that the currently available version of the CxD250-HP (or are you talking about the power supply side here?) does not have the DC detection/fast-shut down implemented? I have no problem with waiting awhile in order to keep my design as simple as possible while still implementing the features I'd like to have. And it sounds like the current 2x CxD250-HP powered by/connected to an SMPS600RxE wouldn't provide the complete protection set?

Khato: all the protections are available with the current set except fast shut-down at DC detection. comming version will include that too, along with some new features on the SMPS section.

Jay: In about 2 weeks will be available, a new revision was done to include the DC protection (what a coincidence) as well as two boards sets, one for 230V only and one for 110/230V switcheable.

Jay: In about 2 weeks will be available, a new revision was done to include the DC protection (what a coincidence) as well as two boards sets, one for 230V only and one for 110/230V switcheable.

Hey...great news! I guess it will show up on the site when it's available, right?

Attachments

• DSC07624.JPG
    DSC07624.JPG
    310.3 KB · Views: 761
TDA892x external Sync

Do I need external Sync for multiple TDA892x Boards when I use a separate power supply for every board? I intend to build a 2 way system left and right. Each with one TDA892x Board and a power supply. Further a subwoofer system with 2 TDA892x Boards in BTL with as separate power supply fro each TDA892x Board.

Hi Cristi,

My project of 6 channels HT amplifier using SMPS2000R (120Vac) is not working like I want... The 6x LM3886x3 modules are drawing too much current and the SMPS goes into current protection mode. I even removed all cap on the amp PCBs but can only successfully power 4 of the 6 modules and at higher levels the amplifiers clip badly which they don't with a classic CRC PSU... Clearly the SMPS is not design for this kind of load, so... I wanted to know if you could let me know which of your Class D amplifiers modules I could use to make a 6-8 channels with the SMPS2000R with custom voltage of +/-38Vdc (it was for the LM3886) and that it won't sag under high levels.

Thanks for your help
Do