• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Class AB Audio Amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
if the output power is not very important, i recommend the LM4702MOS or the SAP15 version then AEM6000. if higher output power is needed, i recommend to use the 300W LME49810 modules. this modules and the 500W version have the best S/N ratio, >120dB and linearity from all of the above modules.
from the switching amplifiers, i recommend the TA3020v3c amplifier.

Can you provide a little more info on your 500W LME49810 amp with heatsink. Can this amp operate with a load that dips down to about 2.2 ohms minimum? What are the power supply requirements? I don't see much info on the product page - it looks like the description ends abruptly. Maybe there was more you wanted to post about it?

-Charlie

if the output power is not very important, i recommend the LM4702MOS or the SAP15 version then AEM6000. if higher output power is needed, i recommend to use the 300W LME49810 modules. this modules and the 500W version have the best S/N ratio, >120dB and linearity from all of the above modules.
from the switching amplifiers, i recommend the TA3020v3c amplifier.

the 300LME49810 module is complete assembled, and is class AB amplifier but can be adjusted to work as a class A amplifier with derrated output power to about 50-100W depending on cooling method. i recommend to use it in class AB, since the sound quality is quite high to not justify the class A operation with the inherent disadvantages.

It would be a nonsense to run a 49810 based amplifier into class A since the last stage of the chip is class AB.

the 500W version of the LME49810 amplifier can work with lower impedances, if the supply voltage is reduced, and the maximum output power will not exceed 700W. for 2 Ohms which is close to 2.2 Ohms, the supply voltage should be max. +-63V for the power stage and max. +-68V for the driver stage. also, the power supply should be able to provide at least 10A. i recommend this supply board: Connexelectronic or the A1000SMPS.
the amplifier can work in class A, i tried before, but, i don't recommend to use it. the output power is low, and the power dissipation is huge, and the differences in sound are not that significant to change the operation class.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Cristi - are the power supply and power output capabilities of the SAP version of the LM4702 the same as the MOS and BPL versions, or is there a difference? Since you offer three versions of the same amplifier, it would be good to know some illustrative differences between the three before I order.

The main difference between the modules, is the type of the ouptut transistors used, as you pointed out. i have tried all 3 possible implementation (BPL version), with normal bipolar transistors, with thermal-track transistors, (SAP15 version) and MOSFET transistors. the main advantage in using the SAP transistors instead a normal pair of bipolars is that the current bias is more precise and the THD is less dependent on the output transistors temperature, music volume or supply voltage as in a normal amplifier with bipolar transistors. the sonic performance of the SAP amplifier module is better than the BPL version, and i cosider at least as good as the MOSFET version.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.