Class AB Audio Amplifiers - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Inactive Vendor Forums > Connexelectronic

Connexelectronic Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Old 18th January 2011, 12:23 PM   #61
magma is offline magma  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristi View Post
I recommend LM4702 SAP15 amplifier, and power supply A350SMPS. for moderate output power levels ~ 100W this is a great combination.
hi cristi
thank you very much for your help
i would like to go for the SAP 15 as recommended and a speaker protection ckt

on the power supply part, i was leaning towards linear supplies because its easy to replace components where i live if a fault occurs
SMPS is difficult

Old 23rd January 2011, 03:34 PM   #62
tcpip is offline tcpip  India
diyAudio Member

I was curious about using SMPS with high-quality Class B power amps.

AFAIK SMPS introduces high-frequency noise to the output rails, which then affect the sound quality of the power amp (I'm assuming ordinary Class B topologies which don't have extremely high PSRR specially at high frequencies). Is this correct?

If yes, can we take care of this by replacing the normal C with a C-R-C "pi" filter on each rail between the SMPS and the power amp's supply rails, where the value of each C will be equal to what one would normally use in a traditional PSU (e.g. 10,000uF/rail for a 100W Class B channel) and the R would be something like 0.5 Ohm 10-20Watt. Basically, I'm suggesting that for a 100W mono power amp, I'll put a 10,000uF capacitor block, then a resistor of 0.5 Ohm or so, then another 10,000uF capacitor block, on each rail.

Will this allow pretty much any SMPS, (e.g. you A350SMPS) to be used with any Class B amp?

Last edited by tcpip; 23rd January 2011 at 03:36 PM.

Old 23rd January 2011, 03:55 PM   #63
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member

Since Class B does not have a constant input current, I'm assuming a CRC will not be particularly effective and will either waste power at high outputs or be too low in resistance to have any effect.

I've used 0.1 ohm resistors in a similar configuration and there is extremely little difference.

Using good decoupling will help avoid some of the issues caused by spurious switching noise, though it may be possible to get a switching supply with lower than 10mV of ripple and noise - which is difficult for even a good linear supply to achieve. As always, the devil is in the details.

Old 23rd January 2011, 05:35 PM   #64
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

is the output from the smps already fitted with an LC filter?
A second LC filter will help, but I have no idea what performance to expect.

Old 25th January 2011, 06:46 AM   #65
tcpip is offline tcpip  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangram View Post
Since Class B does not have a constant input current, I'm assuming a CRC will not be particularly effective and will either waste power at high outputs or be too low in resistance to have any effect.
In realistic domestic use, Class B amps play at 1-5W RMS, and have a fairly high supply-line Zin, I would think. At very power levels, the PSU will see the amp as being almost straight-wire and will see the speaker impedance almost directly -- but at those power levels, who cares about small high-freq hash on the supply rails?

Quote:
I've used 0.1 ohm resistors in a similar configuration and there is extremely little difference.
I would expect this too. I guess the difference will be more audible with more back-to-basics topologies which have worse PSRR. For instance, I remember a very good 55WPC DIY amp from Australia which recommends a dual-mono PSU, and apparently it's been confirmed in listening tests that this makes a difference. I suspect the amp has PSRR on the lower side. So I guess the C-R-C pi-filters will make audible differences only in the very high-end cases or with low-PSRR amps.

Quote:
Using good decoupling will help avoid some of the issues caused by spurious switching noise, though it may be possible to get a switching supply with lower than 10mV of ripple and noise....
I was not hoping to reduce the magnitude of the ripple -- I just wanted to filter out the HF component from the ripple. Most Class B amps are quite immune to low-freq ripple of 10-20mV on the rails, I think.

Old 2nd June 2011, 04:15 AM   #66
diyAudio Member

Cristi,

From photo of your website:
300W LME49810 is at output power of 170W/8Ω with 3pairs of BJT
500W LME49810 is at output power of 320W/8Ω with 5pairs of BJT

1) What is the BJT used?
2) For stereo power amplifier, 2 pcs are required. Do you provide a pair of Left & Right mirror symmetry PCB?
3) Do plan to make LME49830 + Mosfet?

Old 31st January 2012, 02:15 PM   #67
diyAudio Member

Hi cristi,

Havnt spoken for some time, how are you?

Im looking for an amplifier for a pair of compression drivers that are 115db/1w.

I cannot use my ta3020v3d units I got from you a couple of years back, as the noise floor is too high for this extreme application- can you recommend an amp from your designs that would have the lowest noise floor at 0.1w??

Amp needs 20w+ output.

Old 1st February 2012, 03:09 PM   #68
Cristi is offline Cristi  Europe
diyAudio Member

The lowest noise floor class AB amplifiers are the LME49810 based amps, 300W and 500W versions and the LM4702 based amps, SAP1x, followed by MOS-FET and Bipolar versions.
I remember that your TA3020 boards were v2, not v3d, at that time only v2 was available, TA3020v3d is one of the newest version, with improved performances and noise ratio.

Old 6th September 2012, 07:30 AM   #69
back is offline back  Greece
diyAudio Member

hello.

looking for amps to drive woofers in active system.

20-400hz.

is the 500watt lme 49810 "fast sounding" at this range?

i know "fast" is the wrong term for bass but i think you guys know what i mean.

i want really dry bass and not soft drum kicks.

Old 6th September 2012, 08:56 AM   #70
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

500W lme49810 !!!!!
What voltages are you planning to run at?

Hide this!Advertise here!