The future of Lone Star Audio Fest (LSAF) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Clubs & Events

Clubs & Events Audio related organizations and events

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th May 2014, 06:38 PM   #11
udailey is offline udailey  United States
diyAudio Member

It's Waynes show so if he says it stays then it stays. That said and if he's open to comments I do think Austin is better. We are drawing a Texas crowd. OK has 3.8 million people and man they are sparsely populated around that state. Texas has 26 million and man they are located in 4 cities which are all central to the audio capital of the west. Can you imagine the possible turn out in Austin!? People are so into audio that MANY people throw house concerts in their back yards during the summer. You dont find that anywhere else that I know of. These people live and breathe audio in one way or another. The walk-in traffic alone would be huge.
Free advertising can be had by a write up in an Austin audio rag. I am certain that one of the audio newspapers would pick up the story and bring in traffic that way.
I will donate 20 dollars and more if need be to buy pay per click ad banners at the top of DIYaudio.com once we get closer to next year, regardless of LSAF location.
Old 5th May 2014, 06:45 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

We also need something like a Lone Star Ambassadors. We can all say what would be great but we need to have maybe 6 people that are committing to doing the work and not backing out later. This would not be a touchy feely "oh, I'd love to help... isnt that nice?" this would be a "Yes, this means a lot to me and I am going to help... here's my plan already all written up."
I'm on that list if we can get something like this going.
Old 5th May 2014, 06:49 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Mockingbirdaudio
Consider a canjam like at RMAF. That room rocks and is always well attended. All the cans and amps in one room is a great way to present the products.
Old 5th May 2014, 06:51 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Keep in mind whatever and where ever the venue is located that the rooms need to be the same style suite like setup as the Embassy Suites because relocating the beds would more than likely be impossible or make the cost go way up like at RMAF
Old 5th May 2014, 06:52 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Why not have a fall show for Austin or Houston, and have this show in the spring. The reason I think there should be a show in Dallas is ease of access for guys coming out of the midwest and west. Getting from Minnesota or Colorado to Dallas is already hard enough. We've got a huge market here, that is untapped and dumb about audio.

I forgot to mention that besides vinyl, someone needs to get some more headphone guys in here. I'm not a big user, but I'm in the minority. That's the only segment of high end audio, and DIY it seems, that is healthy and continuing to grow.
Old 5th May 2014, 06:56 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default kids

I just posted about cans. I don't use them much, so they are an afterthought for me, but that's the healthiest part of the business. It's a no-brainer for pulling in younger people interested in good sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by udailey View Post
Mockingbirdaudio
Consider a canjam like at RMAF. That room rocks and is always well attended. All the cans and amps in one room is a great way to present the products.
Old 5th May 2014, 06:58 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

If Austin is considered... I have stayed at a wonderful Embassy Suites in Austin. Pricing was 120-150 (however my wife is great at getting low rates) and the rooms are similar. The hotel is much nicer and in a walking district of downtown. I think if we were to nearly promise to fill 40-50 rooms they might offer similar pricing to that of Dallas and we would have enough proof to back our claims of being able to fill the rooms.
Old 5th May 2014, 07:04 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Like I was saying about splitting things up... Wayne could coordinate, and the rest of us could pick a niche. When I emailed Wayne and Pete, I definitely wasn't wanting to change locations, change months, throw the baby out with the bathwater, make a bunch of money or just screw **** up. I can do the free advertising, and attract vinyl people.

I would also contact the tubes and parts dealers that usually go to HamCom. I'll go out there this year and pass out cards and collect their info. If we did change months, showing the same weekend as HamCom would mean there are like-minded people in town that would be attracted to the DIY aspect of LSAF, and there would be guys with parts and tubes. Some would welcome the opportunity to sell tubes in air-conditioned comfort, and not on the 130 degree parking lot of the Plano Center. And, we know that one of those guys will have early RCA 2a3, 01a, a complete fresh crate of 300A...whoa, I'm slipping back into fantasy land again.
Old 5th May 2014, 07:08 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I hate going to Austin. I think it has the 4th worst traffic in the country, or something like that. It's been overrun by carpet-bagging douchers that have to act extra special weird, just to make sure they are fitting in with the native weirds, because they can't have a weirdness gap. I love Austin, and like the natives, and some of my best friends are there, but it's such a pain in the butt. What made Austin great, a laid back town with a serious liberal vibe, has morphed into a giant traffic jam.
Old 5th May 2014, 07:14 PM   #20
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I stopped going because I moved 1200 miles away.

I would second Jan's suggestion- getting technical "names" that are known outside of the tiny diy community will help. Austin is more of a national draw than Dallas and a hell of a lot more fun musically. Sadly, having live musicians doesn't seem to attract audiophiles.

Social media, social media, social media.

Hide this!Advertise here!