The future of Lone Star Audio Fest (LSAF) - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Clubs & Events

Clubs & Events Audio related organizations and events

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th May 2014, 11:00 PM   #91
diyAudio Member

There's no need for vendors/attendees to cover the cost of the vinyl room. Vinyl vendors are used to paying a fee per table. In Austin, it's $150 (or $180). If you charge just enough to cover the room, they'd be happy. $10 per table per day should cover it, and leave a little left to advertise it some. The record show people that do it for a living charge the vendors a heap of money, and charge admission too. If they see what we have going on, and we do all the right things (like submit the event to the various sites that keep track of record shows around the country), we can fill a full sized room with software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by italynstylion View Post
What if we had the first year for the Vinyl room paid for by all of the exhibitors? This way we can get a Vinyl vendor to commit to coming the first year when they don't really know if it will be worth their time. Then, after it's a BIG hit (and I'm sure it will be) they pay their own room NEXT year.
Old 14th May 2014, 11:02 PM   #92
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the link. I had no idea they were pumping out that much product. It's mind boggling.

Perhaps we can charge $15 per table, and hire some workers to move vinyl. It's not a task, it's a soul-sapping death march. I have 7,000. I think when it's time to move, we just list it as a music library and sell the whole thing as-is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcoastal1 View Post
I'm all in with vinyl room, and will also help whoever you can get load the room as I always show up Wednesday setup Thursday morning and always have dolly/cart in hand. Moving vinyl is a task but think with added promo will be a hit.

If you have any doubts read link below

Nashville's United Record Pressing Expanding With Sixteen New Presses | Analog Planet
Old 14th June 2014, 04:21 AM   #93
diyAudio Member

Well we didn't make it a full month before the conversation died off to nothing. I hope that we can pull it all back together before next year and we don't wait until the last minute again to try to do something to boost this show back up.

One thing is for sure. If we have a show that is worse than 2014, the only people that will be at LSAF is the DIY'ers and a very few Manufacturers, and almost nobody off the street. Now for some more interesting news...

Regardless of what the magazines tell you... Newport was also a bomb. You could roll a bowling ball down the halls at some points throughout the weekend! And that show used to be on par with RMAF. And that brings us to RMAF... even that show was more than 30% off from the previous years. And CAS was barely worth the drive.

It seems that the only show that did well and had a flood of people was Chicago. And that was no doubt because it was the first one in that city in 20 years. What's going on? The prices, the same boring locations with bad rooms year after year, and... the cost... the cost - the cost. It's ridiculous actually!

But our show is cheap and fun as heck... so why is it dying along with the others????

Do those of us in the industry have to be at shows like RMAF, Newport, THE Show?... simply, YES we should actually. If not then you miss the chance to get into all of the publications, print and online and that generates interest and sales. At least it has for us!

One thing is for sure... the important industry publications do not come to LSAF anymore. Can we get them back? I haven't the foggiest idea. It costs.

Lot's of questions to ask ourselves. But one thing we should never do is allow our little show to completely die. But die it will if people like Danny Richie, Dave Schlegle, and the dozen of so more that we lost this year never return. The vinyl and headphone ideas have the potential to bring back the foot traffic. Let's not forget to keep this thing going and try to talk a little more about it for the next 10 months.

I for one would truly hate to think that LSAF is gone for good. Even at 60 I hate to see a good party like this one bite the dust. But if all of the indications are correct... we have a problem. Apathy!
Old 14th June 2014, 06:20 PM   #94
diyAudio Member

As I said before, didn't even take a month before the chatter stopped. Uriah and Dave are right on the money. You have to structure and organize as potential attendees. I'd love to come to next year's show as the timing hasn't worked for me since my son started college. I'm not a vender, but myself and maybe a couple of others might Be able to do some free freelance photography for a few of the publications. That way we get some exposure and they won't have to pay someone to do it?
Old 15th June 2014, 03:46 AM   #95
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Danny
Quote:
Lot's of questions to ask ourselves. But one thing we should never do is allow our little show to completely die. But die it will if people like Danny Richie, Dave Schlegle, and the dozen of so more that we lost this year never return.
I love the LSAF. It has been a great show in the past. But it just doesn't make sense for us to exhibit at a show that is not promoted and that no one (few) are coming to.

Things have to change. How we do business, market, promote, etc.
Old 2nd July 2014, 01:53 PM   #96
diyAudio Member

After so many years we should recognize the LSAF concept isn't working, and there's no reason to believe it will work anytime in the future. The show hasn't been able to achieve a critical mass, where there are enough potential buyers to attract a critical mass of vendors, who would in turn attract a critical mass of visitors. And the numbers are headed South, with some of the more desirable vendors telling us they can't build an economic case for participating. I doubt any "patch", like aligning it with a record show, will make enough difference.

I would love to see a successful audio show I could drive to from Houston in four hours or less, but I don't think it will be a LSAF type show. The potential isn't there. I believe the only way a Texas show could be successful is if somebody who has the financial clout, industry insider connections, and show organization experience decided it has the potential for success and made it happen. But with the proliferation of new shows since the LSAF began, this isn't very likely. It's too bad, because the Houston / DFW / Austin / San Antonio area has a large population of people with discretionary income, and with the demise of brick & mortar audio shops, these shows are the only venue for sellers to show their equipment.
Old 4th September 2014, 11:23 PM   #97
diyAudio Member

Default Record Show Set

Henry Heier lit a fire under my ***, so I edited the web page, went by the hotel, did some stuff, talked to people, and we decided to make it Saturday only, this year. It will run 8A-8P, and tables will cost $60, which is in line with pricing for other record shows. The price is calculated to pay for the Mesquite room. I signed a contract with them and reserved the room. If things work out, we can add a day. That depends on feedback from dealers.

I moved the page from here: http://mockingbirddistribution.com/l...ord-show-2015/
to here: Lone Star Record Show 2015 - Mockingbird Distribution LLC

Admission is free, obviously. We can change to a larger room if enough people sign up, and we can also spill out into the commons. There's something like 16,000 square feet available, right now, so the sky is the limit.

A good thing: the girl I'm talking to at the hotel is interested in vinyl (she's from Cali), and has a friend with a record store in Ft Worth, so she's excited by the idea.

Here's what you can help me do: if you know any regional tube or audio guys, with tubes or equipment to sell, let them know. I don't think the tables will handle stacks of boat anchors, but some turntables, tubes, PAS, Eico, PIO caps, and so on. There will be enough DIY'ers present that they'd start making money quickly.

Read the page and let me know what you think. I've started contacting radio stations today, to get on their event calendars, and I'll do this systematically (radio stations, then TV stations, then colleges, and so on).
Old 7th September 2014, 04:17 PM   #98
diyAudio Member

Default Start Spreading The News

Pick 2015, click "go", and scroll down. First listing (many more to go):

Listings Date Main Page
Old 7th September 2014, 04:50 PM   #99
diyAudio Member

Default RecordShows.net

RecordShows.net - Record Shows and Fairs Calendar - Feeding The Vinyl District App for iPhone and Android
Old 9th September 2014, 12:41 AM   #100
diyAudio Member

Default Tour Texas dot Com

Search "record show" and it pops up.

http://www.tourtexas.com/page.cfm?p=search

Hide this!Advertise here!