Simon Fraser Audio, Acoustics, and Signal Processing Festival (Burnaby, BC, Canada)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey everyone, I just wanted to give people the heads up that the Simon Fraser University Acoustics Engineering Club is organizing a Festival for January 24th 2014 (hopefully the first annual). We're currently in the early planning stages but are anticipating three sections to the event:

1. Tables and booths in the mid-day for local companies in the industry to showcase what they do uniquely with acoustics and engineering.
  2. An afternoon lecture series on more academic topics related to Audio, Acoustics, and Signal Processing with a wide variety of local experts.
  3. An evening social event at a local campus watering hole.
I hope you will all mark it down on your calendars in anticipation. We are currently filling table and lecturer slots so if you are personally interested in either, please e-mail sfu.acoustics[at]gmail.com with full information. At this time we don't have much space available for individual DIY showcase, but we are open to creating that space at the event if there's enough interest. This may involve a collective booth for diyaudio.com or it may involve us booking another room as a listening space.

As this is hopefully the first annual, please help us shape the event in any way you would like. We're very much open to suggestions on what we may have overlooked and are still in the early planning stages so much can be adjusted. Really, we're hoping to bring together academia, DIY, and industry in one event to showcase concepts to general students and future engineers. Hope to see you all there. I'll post more event details (times, speaker lineup, etc...) as the event nears. For now, know that it's at the Burnaby campus in the Applied Science building on January 24th. Thanks.

Interest is growing, most of our booths are filled up and we've confirmed guest lectures from Gordon Durity, the executive audio director at EA Sports, and Tim Bartoo of Harmonic Functions (Tim has helped develop many spatial audio hardware devices including this: Out Board UK - Sound Engineering - TiMax SoundHub ). Some of the regulars from diyaudio.com will be there (CSS, Classic Valve, Classic Sound) and likely many who have not yet seen the excellence of this community. It'd be wonderful if lots of people showed up with projects to bring to the DIY listening room to show off to students and others who might not be terribly familiar with the DIY scene. I expect a lot of first-timers will be in attendance.

I also expect many professors to drop by in attendance as there is a rich history of audio work at SFU (Barry Truax will likely come by to mingle - possibly even show off his latest project).

Edit: Oh I wanted to mention, the listening room I believe is roughly 8mx11m with 10-12ft ceilings. I'll bring in some basic room treatments for the space too so it shouldn't suffer too many ugly room problems, but it also isn't a perfectly designed space either. There's a nearby theatre (~100 seats) with fully treated design that we're trying to get booked instead but that may stretch our budget.

-Eric

Last edited:
We've got a poster designed up now so that we can spread the word around campus.
Poster.jpg

We also booked Dave Thomas from Advanced Audio in Kelowna to talk about his tube mic designs and the challenges of gain staging. Advanced Audio Microphones - Professional microphones at affordable prices. We provide studio quality mics for the home and pro recording industry.

Some graduate students who have published posters on acoustics will also likely present a poster or two - mostly on active noise cancellation I believe.

I'd like to hear if people are planning on bringing anything for the listening room. I'm personally going to bring these StudioLab speakers that I've re-built and put into new boxes:
IMG_2597.JPG
I'm also working hard on finishing a few other projects before then. Now that exams are over, hopefully these will pick up steam. This one is an array with phase delay to try my hand at beamforming:
IMG_20131213_232241.jpg
but I've yet to start any of the programming for the control behind it so right now it's just the start of a line array.

What are people thinking they'd like to bring? Is anyone coming from the Island - particularly Victoria - as we'd like to arrange a car pool with gear to save everyone money.

Anyone want to bring a cornu spiral?

I can certainly pick those up for the event if nobody else is able to. Since I'm one of the organizers, I may have a bit much on my plate that week so if anyone else wants to step forward and pick them up that'd be nice. I can ask around too to see if anyone is able to bring them and take good care of them.

For any of you (US) Border Jumpers: If you're not up on Pipe Bands, The Simon Fraser Pipe Band has been awarded the World Championship for Pipe Bands quite a few times. I don't know if they currently hold that honor, but they are excellent.

Best Regards,
TerryO

For any of you (US) Border Jumpers: If you're not up on Pipe Bands, The Simon Fraser Pipe Band has been awarded the World Championship for Pipe Bands quite a few times. I don't know if they currently hold that honor, but they are excellent.

Best Regards,
TerryO

They come every year to the Highland Games in Enumclaw, WA, where they mop up. They truly ARE great and I've heard them quite a few times. They are the main reason I attend the games.

John

Hi John,

I haven't been to "The Highland Games" in Enumclaw for a number of years, but I like the Caber Toss, the Hammer Throw and the Dancing. The Massed Pipes are the highlight of the day's events. I wouldn't be surprised if you can hear them in Black Diamond!

Woodya Wanna go this Summer? Maybe we can talk the 200% Square-Head into joining us for some "much needed" Cultural Improvement and Haggis! Might even make it Multi-Culteral and have some Lutefisk on hand to compliment the Haggis, just like the old days when the Scots and the Vikings would "Party" together!

Best Regards,
Terry

The festival was quite successful for an inaugural attempt. Everyone is excited to do it again next year. There were a few last-minute cancellations but we still had a large turnout. Cal your cornu spirals were well received and I'll get them back to you soon - thanks again for lending them out.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.