The Burning Amp 2012-Schedules & Info - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Clubs & Events

Clubs & Events Audio related organizations and events

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th August 2012, 08:28 PM   #61
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlise View Post
I'm leaving my crazy hour start up job, so I might even be able to build some audio gear. Any requests?

Best regards,
Marshall
Perhaps something using the IRF250's that Nelson gave away at BA2008?
Old 30th September 2012, 01:21 AM   #62
GaryB is offline GaryB  United States
diyAudio Member

Default what's new for 2012

Mark,
This has been a year of building DACs for me. I built an ES9018 DAC based on the Buffalo III kit from twisted pear and Sowter transformers. Details found here:

Buffalo II & transformers

And I built an inexpensive ES9023 DAC based on the WM8804/ES9024 board that Subbu and JP sold here. I added the Joachim Gerhard style buffer/filter. Details here:

ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF DAC Group Buy

Glad to bring them to Burning Amp this year. I can also bring other stuff that I've brought in past years if you're short of some components. Just let me know.

---Gary
Old 5th October 2012, 10:22 PM   #63
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

I'm about to update the schedule to reflect what's coming so far this year. This time I'll arrive a half hour before anyone to make sure we really do load in stuff according to the list, so please mention what you're bringing here. We need more stuff, and when we're organized a lot more can be actually auditioned. I ordered another 2 dozen moving blankets, which should make a big difference in the acoustics!

Com'on lower my stress level and check in and mention what you'll bring.
It can be same stuff as last year, The difference is that the systems will be different.

Mark
Old 6th October 2012, 12:42 AM   #64
diyAudio Member

OK, I'm happy to give a tentative list. Focus is on DIY active loudspeakers and related:
  • Two or three pairs of active multi-way DIY speakers using baffleXchange cabinet building concept and in-cabinet amplification (I only use chip amps - profuse apologies to the amplifier crowd for this indignity).
  • CD transport > toslink > outboard MiniDSP 4x10 DSP crossover. Elliptical filters for loudspeaker crossovers via DSP!
  • ACD Active Crossover Design tools (free, Excel based) - used to design crossovers for the MiniDSP unit
  • FRD Response Blender and Minimum Phase Response Calculator (free wideband minimum-phase response generator)
  • (hopefully) a computer and monitor to demo the software, otherwise lots of handwaving, discussion, and printed screen shots

-Charlie
Old 6th October 2012, 03:00 AM   #65
diyAudio Member

Will there be a video stream on the Net this year ?
Old 6th October 2012, 03:11 AM   #66
diyAudio Member

The SiC Puppy amp will be making the trip this year, hum exorcised. It will also have a "Fake SIT" brother, unnamed as of yet. I'm fitting the "Le Mutant" with a proper heat sink, so it can cope with extended operation without self-immolation. The improved "Half Nelson" amp has been de-hummed and sounds quite sweet, so it will make the trip. It has a brother in the works with a different input structure.

So, all told, four amps, maybe five, all Class A - lets say 20W/channel or less to be on the safe side.
Since they're small, I'll bring a pair of Planet 10's full-range speakers with enabled Mark Audio drivers.

I'll also lug a reasonably nice California Audio CD player to serve as a source, as well as whatever experimental RIAA/line amp circuit that happens to be inhabiting the living room at the time.
Old 6th October 2012, 11:58 AM   #67
diyAudio Member

Last year I bought a rough 2-way (DXT tweeter and ZA14 woofer). I've redesigned the crossover and will bring it in the final configuration.

I will also bring a new ScanSpeak 2-way (HDS discovery tweeter in a 6" plastic waveguide and 15W Revelator woofer).

I'm really looking forward to another great Burning Amp.

(My old ScanSpeak waveguide 2-way (AirCirc - 15W) is also available for show or/and demo if there is popular demand.)

Last edited by benchtester; 6th October 2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 6th October 2012, 11:32 PM   #68
diyAudio Member

Funny thing, I was at Halted and Anchor Electronics (two Silicon Valley surplus outlets) and ran into two individuals that knew about BA....
Old 8th October 2012, 12:37 AM   #69
Renron is offline Renron  United States
diyAudio Member

Mark,
I've got about a dozen or so pairs of drivers from Ron at NHT. He gave these to me and I'd like others to use them if they can. They are mostly mids but a few are 8" & 10" woofers along with a handful of tweeter pairs. I sorted through them and tossed a bunch away that were trashed or over 100 years old.
I also have a 4'x4' piece of sound trap, the kind with little foam pyramids on it. It wasn't cheap. Good condition if you think someone would want it too.
Is there a freebie table for this stuff?

The wife unit will be shopping in S.F. while I enjoy BA.

If you need any more volunteers, I'm 'yer man. (I've still got my cool button pin from the 1st BA.)

Ron
Old 8th October 2012, 12:54 AM   #70
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

The tough part for you is that we need the volunteers there at 8:30. If you can pull that off I'd love to have you in the first wave- those that get shirts!

The freebies were a scarce last year, but we still had an OK amount. Speaker drivers?, nah no one will want those.. hahahahahahahahaha! Of COURSE they'll want them ! Bring 'em in and we'll put them in the freebie raffle. I've devised a decent way to make sure people actually want the stuff they win.

We should have a lot of swag again this year, with your help..

Mark

Last edited by Variac; 8th October 2012 at 12:58 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!