Greater Toronto Area DIY meetup - Page 36 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Clubs & Events

Clubs & Events Audio related organizations and events

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd May 2013, 01:45 PM   #351
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454Casull View Post
Is there anyone here who offers enclosure cutting services?
If you are asking about cutting the metal (say for tube amp) I took following approach..
design using free tool from Font Panel Express. Ship design file by email to PVA Enterprises who supply aluminum and cut using waterjet. They can cut anything from metal to wood to stone. Very good job and inexpensive.
Home
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6C33C pair assembled.jpg (320.8 KB, 114 views)
Old 22nd May 2013, 05:09 PM   #352
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlowes View Post
If you are asking about cutting the metal (say for tube amp) I took following approach..
design using free tool from Font Panel Express. Ship design file by email to PVA Enterprises who supply aluminum and cut using waterjet. They can cut anything from metal to wood to stone. Very good job and inexpensive.
Home
Sorry, I mean for speaker enclosures. Standard stuff (1/2" MDF, etc.)
Old 24th May 2013, 03:47 PM   #353
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to merlin2069er
I've got a couple of surface mounted boards that need to be put together.

JF Filter Buffer & Isolator / reclocker for the amanero.

Can anyone recommend a service or person?
Old 1st June 2013, 12:55 AM   #354
Lo_Tse is offline Lo_Tse  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hey Folks,

Before you know it, summer is almost here. Would anyone be interested in another meet sometime in June?

Regards,
Old 1st June 2013, 01:17 AM   #355
diyAudio Member

I am open for a meet up (famous last words) in June and have a few clear spots on my calendar. It always sounds like a good time from reading the post meeting posts.
Old 1st June 2013, 01:54 AM   #356
Jaimo is offline Jaimo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default June sounds good

Count me in...

I'm nearly done with my Utracer - there's nothing like a meet to help spurr things on.

We do need a theme for the next meeting. I would like to get max value out of a meet and with the amazing and diverse expertise we have, it will be great to have people with specific expertise edumacate the rest of the group.

If my memory serves me well, we previously had a passive preamp shoot out, a tube vs class D trial and a tube preamp session amongst others...

It will be great if we could pick one topic and do a deep dive during the meet -maybe have the builder talk about the design, build process etc and then do a listening test.

Some topics that come to mind:-

Building a PC based digital playback system
My #26 preamp
Class D amplifiers
Testing tubes and understanding tube data
Modifying commercial DACs
Streaming High quality audio
Test equipment and tools
Designing a high quality bookshelf speaker

Feel free to add to this list and the attendees can vote on the topic of choice.

Last edited by Jaimo; 1st June 2013 at 01:57 AM.
Old 1st June 2013, 01:55 AM   #357
Jaimo is offline Jaimo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin2069er View Post
I've got a couple of surface mounted boards that need to be put together.

JF Filter Buffer & Isolator / reclocker for the amanero.

Can anyone recommend a service or person?
Invest in a good pair of on head magnifiers, a good iron and DIY...
Old 1st June 2013, 01:25 PM   #358
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default I'm in!

I like the idea of a main theme. All the ones mentioned look interesting.

I'd be keen to hear Iko tell us about the 26 preamp both as an example of a reference preamp but also to learn about direct heated triodes.

If people want to go down the computer as an audio source path I could cover the ALIX industrial processor on Linux, and certainly share experience on the Windows CMP2 front.

There was a brave soul who suggested hosting. Lets see if that pans out. I can check and see if my office is still clear on weekends to handle a crowd. We've been adding some new staff so not clear if the place is still empty on Sundays. Probably good for a small group in a board room but not as open for big equipment and big sound.
Old 1st June 2013, 03:48 PM   #359
diyAudio Member

Hi guys,
A June meeting sounds great. I'm thinking about making a high quality bookshelf speaker for my next project. I recently built my external crossover with Mundorf EVO caps. Still doing a few tweaks on it.
Nelson
Old 1st June 2013, 11:05 PM   #360
Lo_Tse is offline Lo_Tse  Canada
diyAudio Member

Glad to see all the responses! Meet with a theme is good. I like Walter's suggestion on the DHT pre-amp. We never did get a chance to hear Iko's preamp last time.

I have assembled a pre-amp kit (extremely simple) from flea Bay that is based on a single op amp (4 x gain only). The idea was to do some op amp rolling using some better rated IC's (like OPA2134, LM4562. OPA2604 etc) to see how the sound changes. Waiting for a box for this piece now.

I recently built a class D amp (based on the TPA3122 chip) from a $10 kit. I was amazed by its sound. Overall, I do no think it is as outstanding as DUG's TPA3116d2 in the base dept. But slowly, I am becoming a believer of the Class D technolgy!

I can bring both to the next meet.

Regards,

Hide this!Advertise here!