Greater Toronto Area DIY meetup - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Clubs & Events

Clubs & Events Audio related organizations and events

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd October 2012, 07:41 PM   #111
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to merlin2069er
Sure, I'd be interested.
Old 3rd October 2012, 12:52 AM   #112
Lo_Tse is offline Lo_Tse  Canada
diyAudio Member

Anyone else? Jaimo, Joe?

Regards,
Old 3rd October 2012, 03:03 AM   #113
diyAudio Member

Damn missed TAVES.... Any goers willing to commentate on any new product they deam worthy of bringing up?
Old 3rd October 2012, 12:22 PM   #114
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakrsrfun View Post
Damn missed TAVES.... Any goers willing to commentate on any new product they deam worthy of bringing up?
For one, Bryston officially launched their Model-T speakers (3 ways, 7 drivers total). Driving with their big amps, the speaker filled the big room nicely. The base response goes to below 30 Hz. Overall, I like the sound - full body, clean, solid low base. The sound stage was good too in the big room. It was the passive version that was demoed and it is listed at ~ cdn$ 6500. Pay an extra 1000 and you have a nicely packaged external X-over. Another 1500 or so (I think), one will get the DSP X-over package.

Totem showed off their stuffs for HT. A smallish long and narrow unit containing 2 or 3 small base drivers (3-4 inches!!). It sounded impressive. The base reponse was good. Mind you, Totem spend a lol of time setting up the room. As usual, Vince was around greeting visitors and answering questions.

Focus Audio is demoing their new tube amp - yes amplifier, their first one I think.

Ovation Audio in Markahm was showing their custom designed and made tube amps (KT88 based). Driving the big Proac, the sound was great. The price was less than 3000 cdn$. The designer told me the output transformer was customer designed by him and maufactured in China. The amp uses a beefy PC board and the lay out was neat and tidy. He mentioned that the PC board allows easy repair when needed - just swap out the board instead of checking each component in a point to point set up. In the plan are amps that used the DHT300B and 211. The face plate and casing looked retro - resembled that of the ARC big amps of bygone days. Plus there were 2 big UV meters which I think it can do without.

Regards,
Old 5th October 2012, 09:32 PM   #115
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin2069er View Post
Sure, I'd be interested.
Hi, merlin

Should have responded earlier, sorry. Look like it is only you and me. Come to think about it, this being the Thanksgiving weekend - probably not the best time to meet since a lot of people are having family gethering. Let's try some other time, hopefully more people will be able to join.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Regards,
Old 5th October 2012, 10:35 PM   #116
diyAudio Member

Hey, no problem. I've got stuff to do. I'd like to meet up with Joe again and try and get a few things from him...
Old 6th October 2012, 02:16 AM   #117
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin2069er View Post
Hey, no problem. I've got stuff to do. I'd like to meet up with Joe again and try and get a few things from him...
Yeah, I have some queries for Joe regarding his headphone amp too. I really enjoyed the first meet at theT immy's. Those humongous caps that Jaimo brought were really something.

Regards,
Old 12th October 2012, 06:26 PM   #118
diyAudio Member

Hey, how about this weekend?
Old 12th October 2012, 09:27 PM   #119
diyAudio Member

Merlin,

Do you mean meet up on Oct 13 or 14?

Regards,
Old 12th October 2012, 11:20 PM   #120