Greater Toronto Area DIY meetup - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Clubs & Events

Clubs & Events Audio related organizations and events

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th September 2012, 01:45 AM   #101
iko is offline iko  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Let's meet. How's this TAVES, worth going? I've never been. Will there be any high end stuff to hear?
Old 15th September 2012, 02:15 PM   #102
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'll be at Taves on Friday and keen to meet other DIYAUDIO members in the area. Perhaps chat over lunch?
Old 15th September 2012, 03:00 PM   #103
Lo_Tse is offline Lo_Tse  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi, Iko

Last year's TAVES was the frist time it was restarted after a very long hiatus. The show is mainly supported by Dealers. Basically, you can browse almost all the audio equipment brands available in Ontario in one place, from very high end to consumer's stuffs. To attract more attendants, a fairly large video component is included too - various made and kind of panels, home theater gears etc. Lastly there are also some DIY vendors too, showing their expensive cables, AC plugs, RCA jacks etc. I remember talking to the guy who run the Audio Note Kits (there are good on display too) - wow, the PCB and kits components (custom built transformers) are of excellent quality.

My interest is mainly audio and I spent about 5 hours solid walking the floors last years and still missed out some rooms. I have to confessed that I tried to do some listening in every room. I really enjoyed the show last year. There was one vendor from NY (Woo's audio I think) showing their high end tube-based headphone amps. I spent half an hour checking them out.

The admisson charge is $22 I think. However, you can get a $5 coupon from teh TAVES facebook site or the previous issue of Canada Hifi. I have been to the same show in Montreal a number of times, TAVES is not as big, but I think the "sound quality" of the show rooms are better on average. Personally I think it is worth it.

Hey, wlowes

Good to see your post again! Good idea!! Let see who else will be there and we can get organised.

Regards,
Old 16th September 2012, 03:57 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

Gentlemen,

Would anyone like to meet this coming weekend? Saturday (the 22nd) afternoon (after 2 pm)is best for me; OR Sunday (the 23rd) from mid-morning (10 ish am) till 3 pm. Meeting place is open to suggestion.

Regards,
Old 20th September 2012, 12:02 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

I presume everyone is too busy to meet this weekend?

Regards,
Old 23rd September 2012, 05:01 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Just curious, anyone plans to attend the TAVES 2012?

Hi, wlowes

You mentioned that you are going on Fridday the 28th, are you interested in getting together?

I noticed in your blog that you are working on a 6C33B based OTL amp. Hey, I plan to do the same thing after I finish my current one (it will be awhile). I have decided on the design by Hans Beijner (~ 30 watts), which is similar to that published by Tim Mellows and yet different (I feel that Han's design is simpler but the power supply section is quite involved). I would love to talk to you about your project.

Regards,
Old 24th September 2012, 02:56 AM   #107
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo_Tse View Post
Just curious, anyone plans to attend the TAVES 2012?

Hi, wlowes

You mentioned that you are going on Fridday the 28th, are you interested in getting together?

Regards,
It is looking questionable if I will be able to go. Will likely be a last minute decision. Would be delighted to meet and exchange ideas about this crazy project. I'll send PM with contact info. I can make it, perhaps we can hook up at the event.
Old 1st October 2012, 07:58 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to merlin2069er
When is the next meet?
Old 1st October 2012, 10:10 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

How about this coming long weekend? Anyone interested?

Regards,
Old 2nd October 2012, 12:37 AM   #110
iko is offline iko  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

I'm out of town.

Hide this!Advertise here!