|Clubs & Events Audio related organizations and events|
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.
Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
||Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|9th January 2011, 06:08 PM||#62|
Saturday 22 January is now booked for us from 11 am till 5 pm. I did not want to reserve the room for longer hours in case we are done by 5 pm. However if need be, we can stay longer and pay for the extra time *if* nobody else has reserved the room after us. At this time nobody has, but we will know for sure only on Friday 21st when I pick up the keys.
I hope this arrangement works well enough for you all.
Looking forward to seeing you very shortly,
|9th January 2011, 09:48 PM||#66|
Join Date: Jul 2008
Folks, the Ottawa Winter DIY Meet is a go for Sunday January 23rd 2011 at The General Burns Community Centre. With the great response we've had we've decided to add another day to allow for more testing. Saturday the 22nd of January (the day before the originaly scheduled meet) the hall will be available to us as well (thanks Pierre). We are looking to make this mostly a testing day. Everyone is welcome on both or either day.
It is the same location we used for our first meet back in June 2010. For those that were not there in June (or can't remember how to get back there), the address is 86 Argue Dr. It is located in the Fisher Glen area. It can be accessed from Fisher Ave. via Normandy Cres. or from Meadowlands Dr. E. via Chesterton Dr. to Charkay St. to Seymour Ave.
We are asking that each participant donates $10 toward the cost of the hall rental. Any surplus will be used for future events.
Please let us know, by posting in this thread as soon as possible, the following:
1. if you plan to attend and which days,
2. what gear you would like to demo
3. if you would like to be involved in measuring any gear
I will update the list as people post.
Even if you have nothing to demo, come on out. Just bring your enthusiasm for DIY. That's good enough. If you have a desire to hear something specific, mention it. There may be someone that can bring that type of gear. If you have some gear you would like an opinion on, bring it. Even if it is commercial but you're looking to update/rebuild/improve it. You most likely will find an opinion or two that may prove useful.
The List (updated 9/1/11)
1. Rick (ripcard)---Sat. & Sun.---Bringing CSS Quartet 15 Sub-woofer, DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 (EQ for subs) and home built 8" Vifa two-way vented speakers of unknown origin for evaluation.
Would like to measure sub-woofer.
2. ? (gabdx)---I will demo a tda1541 dac from analogmetric, I will need a transport/amp/ speakers for that.
3. Mark (mwmkravchenko)---Sat. & Sun.---CBT line array with integrated dual 8" front loaded horn. 4, count them 4 subwoofers. All with the same driver complement (2 pcs Exodus Audio Anarchy 6 1/2").Front loaded, Tapped Horn, Vented, and Unhorn. You guys get to listen to them all and judge for yourselves what is what.
4. Pierre (PierreQuiRoule)---Sat. & Sun. ---Bringing amps this time. What types will be a surprise. I'll pass on measurements this time. I rather get in the mood for listening and enjoying good company .
5. Dave (DDF)---Sat. & Sun.--- Look for the guy with bells on. Demo: passive pre-amp (a bit different than the usual) if there's time. A simple 2 way, if there's time. Mark and I have been discussing speaker measurement gear off-line.
6. Tony (Tony D)---I would like to attend also, $10 isn't a problem unfortunately I don't have anything to demo yet. Sorry guys.
7. Normand (normand)I am new to this group but very curious about what is going on. I would like very much to attend.
8. John (bearberry)---Sat. & Sun.--- I hope to have ready some small speakers for use with a PC: Nano Neos, New Horizons, Zaph's project 18, and MicroFonken. Would like to make it for measurement session Saturday. And would like to hear any <$150 USB DACs anyone might have.
9. Ron (ronu9400)---I plan to be there, and my son might also attend. Shared the link with a couple of audio buddies, so perhaps they'll join us. I'm not likely bringing any equipment this time.
10. ? (MrSlim)---There are a few things I can bring (AMB Gamma 2 DAC, Headphonia CableDac, Cavalli CTH head amp, CK2III Head amp and a Panda Class A head amp (if I get the last two built over the christmas break), Senn HD580, AKG K601, and maybe a Salas DCB1. Unless someone has already identified a projector, I have one that I can bring, as long as my son isn't planning on using it..
11. Tyler (Redshift187)---I'll bring my LM3886 DC coupled amp and if it's finished a simple TDA1541/CS8412 NOS DAC.
12. Owen (opc)---I'll be there for sure. I can drag along the following:
1. Lynn Olsen's Ariel loudspeakers
2. Firstwatt F5
3. Pass Labs Aleph 2 monoblocks
4. My new headphone amp project "The Wire"
5. My "Finished" DAC project "New take on the classic D1"
6. Music Server (more stable this time)
7. A restored Dynaco ST-70 amplifier (there was no tube gear last time)
8. Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
9. AKG 240 MKII Headphones
I can also do a quick 30 minute presentation on SMPS design, and maybe a little class D amplifier design as well.[/QUOTE]
|9th January 2011, 09:56 PM||#67|
Lookin good Rick.
Will we have a projector there that we will be able to hook up and give a bit of a slide show with?
I don't have one.
If I know that we will definitely have one I will put together a slide show on various types of horn design.
Dave's presentation is a real piece of informative work. I got a sneak peak at the draft. Worth every minute. It may make sense to do this in the morning on Sunday. If anyone has any preference let me know ASAP.
Owen are you going to do a presentation on SMPS's?
If yes how long do you want?
I'm thinking out loud here.
A presentation then some listening to systems and then a presentation seems to be a more enjoyable atmosphere.
If that makes sense we can setup a loose schedule once I have Owen's requirements known.
Yes I have to admit Dave really does know what he is doing despite all the ribbing I give him. He is so nice to me all the time...
I'm surprised he is willing to go all the way to Sitittsville to meet me at the gulag fest.
Last edited by mwmkravchenko; 9th January 2011 at 09:59 PM. Reason: spillin
|12th January 2011, 02:09 AM||#69|
You can bring your heathen sub.. we will put it in a corner.
Wait a second mine are going to be in a corner.
You can have the other corner!
No I'm just being nice so you won't throw eggs and tomatoes during my presentation.
|12th January 2011, 04:13 AM||#70|
We will need a good active preamp. I have a new one in the works, but it will not be ready for this event.
Owen - I enjoyed yours last time, plus its discrete volume control is nice for keeping levels consistent. Would you consider bringing it back ?
Anybody else ?
Dave - Looking forward to hearing your passive pre of course, and comparing to active !
On my side, the power amps are taking shape. If all goes well I should finish building them this Saturday and start testing Sunday... If all goes well
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|2010 Ottawa DIY Audio Get Together||PierreQuiRoule||Clubs & Events||56||9th November 2012 04:11 AM|
|Ottawa and Area DIY Audio||mwmkravchenko||Clubs & Events||5||18th December 2010 05:30 PM|
|DIY Ottawa Fall Meet||mwmkravchenko||Everything Else||34||4th November 2010 01:04 PM|
|Suggestions for winter DIY project...||ssabripo||Subwoofers||38||29th March 2006 02:17 PM|
|diy meet in TORONTO?||Tony.ca||Multi-Way||215||13th April 2005 06:00 AM|
|New To Site?||Need Help?|