Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Clubs & Events

Clubs & Events Audio related organizations and events

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th June 2010, 02:43 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Rick - Glad to hear that you liked the location and enjoyed the event. I too learned a lot throughout the day.

Speaking of the prizes, here are a couple pictures of the nice TRIO12 woofer that was donated by Bob at CSS (thank you, Bob).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0373.jpg (204.1 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0376.jpg (195.8 KB, 238 views)
Old 20th June 2010, 02:43 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

This was a weekend i had been looking forward to. Owen's line arrays were just plain fantastic. i hadnt heard anything with that small of a footprint sound so effortless. Pierres towers were just absolutely fantastic, i felt like i could listen to them forever!

i was however pleasantly surprised to find that my center channel, although crossoverless, could keep up plenty well with speakers that cost quite a bit more to build. I think Pierre stood up once i hooked up the center and asked what drivers they were. (creative sound EL70's)

i don't think i could have been happier than when i saw Pierre smiling listening to a very discerning piano track. (his speakers are so fantastic sounding that i took this as a huge compliment)

Marks subwoofer was absolutely insane!
Thats all that needs to be said about this beast.
(30 watts was more than enough to get the floor literally moving to the beat)

Ricks RBR's ended up being quite impressive, i wouldn't have expected the bass to be so fulfilling. His S1's had that intial shock of WOW! these are so detailed its amazing, but became a little fatigueing over time. His handywork leaves nothing to be desired.

Overall, i want to do this again. and again. and again...
Next time ill bring my amp to run marks sub. and my in line low pass crossover to keep setup simple. Anyone wanna help me lift my cerwin vegas? 18x18x32 @ 95lbs each. lol.
Old 20th June 2010, 09:51 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Adam - Here's your center channel, in the inukshuk configuration invented during the event.

Sitting on top is Mark's unhorn subwoofer. Details of the design can be found here (I believe): Tapped Horn For Car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0428.jpg (237.6 KB, 235 views)
Old 20th June 2010, 10:04 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Adam's center channel, driven by a Kenwood KR9400 receiver that Ron brought with the JVC speakers. This receiver was Kenwood's top of the line in the mid 70s, puts out 120 watts per channel, and has the reputation of sounding great and having an excellent tuner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0436.jpg (250.2 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0310.jpg (158.9 KB, 214 views)
Old 20th June 2010, 10:10 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Speaking of Ron, he's at the left on this photo.

You may notice on the floor near the corner of the room a large box: it is Mark's subwoofer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0323.jpg (279.7 KB, 98 views)
Old 20th June 2010, 10:33 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

This is Mark's prototype subwoofer. According to his notes, this enclosure is categorized as a front loaded folded horn. The driver within the subwoofer is the TRIO12 from Creative Sound Solutions. In the picture below, Adam kindly agreed to lay down on top of the sub to show its size. The driver is hidden behind the triangular panel. The horn is folded three times. The F3 or minus 3 db point in the response is 16 Hz.

As Adam pointed out, this is a very efficient sub. And it does indeed dig quite low in practice, not just in theory. It changed my expectations of what Saint-Saens third symphony (with organ) is supposed to sound like.

Many thanks to Mark and Adam for bringing this sub for a one-day event.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0424.jpg (241.4 KB, 120 views)
Old 20th June 2010, 10:38 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

This is enough for today. More photos to come later this week: line arrays and electronics.
Old 20th June 2010, 11:01 PM   #18
ripcard is offline ripcard  Canada
diyAudio Member

Some great pics Pierre!

By the way, I ended up with a balanced interconnect in my box of cables that is not mine. It has a loop of green masking tape on it. Check your gear folks and let me know who it belongs to and I can make arrangements to get it back to you.

Here are some of my pics:

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Pierre and Ron early in the day.

Most of the early morning group with ears bent. From left to right: Mark, Wolfgang, Ron, Pierre and Adam.

Owen patiently answering questions about his line arrays.

Owen's open concept set up.

By mid day we were still trying new things.

After we helped Owen pack up we still had time for Ron's vintage gear and Adam's centre.

In the early evening we were a little less upright perhaps but Mark woke us up near the end with some organ music that excercised the big box in the corner.

All in all, a great way to spend the day.
Old 20th June 2010, 11:25 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It changed my expectations of what Saint-Saens third symphony (with organ) is supposed to sound like.
Hey Pierre

That's my purpose in life. Warping one persons concept of good sound at a time. Evil plan I know! Wait till I bring the line arrays I'm working on. A bit different from Owen's as they have an integrated subwoofer in the design but still the same principle.

Next meet. THey will be there. Maybe even their little brother the towers.

Once you have heard really good bass it's hard to go back. Muhahahahahh

Mark
Old 21st June 2010, 02:42 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PierreQuiRoule View Post
And it does indeed dig quite low in practice, not just in theory. It changed my expectations of what Saint-Saens third symphony (with organ) is supposed to sound like.
Tell me you also played Strauss' Also Spake Zarathustra!

Hide this!Advertise here!