Southern Ontario diyFEST - Page 33 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Clubs & Events

Clubs & Events Audio related organizations and events

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th October 2011, 07:42 PM   #321
iko is offline iko  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mill23bay View Post
If ikoflexer can make it, that will be 3 of us coming.
PeterC.
Thanks guys, as far as I'm concerned it'll have to be next time. Have a great meeting!
Old 20th October 2011, 12:05 AM   #322
diyAudio Member

Default diyFEST

Here are the pics
Thank you Andrew for having us over(and feeding us). There was four of us, Bart, Andrew, Deitrich and myself. Nice talking about speakers and stuff, looked at Andrews shop, drooled over his speakers but didn't make a mess. Clean effortless sound, it's what horns that are engineered and well build do. Nice work Andrew. Nice tubes to drive them also. With such high efficient speakers not much power is needed. The angle speakers were fantastic! Like a piece of art and the sound was amazing.
PeterC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00264-.jpg (411.2 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00283-.jpg (188.1 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00284-.jpg (894.0 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00285-.jpg (648.4 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00286-.jpg (514.5 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00287-.jpg (405.5 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00288-.jpg (605.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00290-.jpg (711.4 KB, 45 views)
Old 20th October 2011, 12:20 AM   #323
diyAudio Member

Default EPI microtower M75

Thank you Andrew for testing the M75's for me. Pretty good measurements for such cheap speakers. They were build in the 70's and cost $200. I did one mod. As they were, there is one speaker in the front and one on the back. I removed one speaker and mounted on top of the cab. Then I covered the hole with a removable cover. When I first got them I was not happy with the sound. Now they seem to be a bit better. Planet 10 has plans that are similar to the EPI build. As quoted from planet 10 plans.

"Back in the early '70s while going to University, a group of us hung out at a hifi shop
that sold EPI. EPI's were the 2nd store-bought speakers I owned. The miniTower was
always my favorite. While discussing a tribute to the miniTower to showcase some
drivers we had around, Chris (he used to selll EPIs) suggested that the Mark Audio
CHR-70 or CSS EL70 might make a good microTower (probably the most fun EPI and a
runaway best seller). The microTower was a push-push end-loaded TL. I consulted Scott
Lindgren about the feasibility of squeezing 2 CHR or 2 EL70 into a microTower size
ML-TL. Ours ended up a bit taller, but is otherwise faithful. Bass should extend to the
mid-40s."
Here are the pics Andrew sent me of the test results. Thank you again Andrew.
PeterC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EPI m75 imp-.jpg (125.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg EPI m75 mls-.jpg (113.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg EPI m75 wtf-.jpg (348.6 KB, 19 views)
Old 24th October 2011, 12:18 AM   #324
diyAudio Member

thanks guy's for dropping in last weekend, It was great to talk speakers with you all and share some idea's,The EPI's were a pleasent surprise and sounded quite good,surprising what a pair or 4.5inch drivers can do. thanks for bringing them Peter, and thanks Dieter for the audition of your speakers too.
cheers
Andrew
Old 23rd December 2011, 08:28 PM   #325
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Fellas,
Well, I missed that one. I'm looking forward to some more get togethers once the weather warms up I guess. Sounds like Andrew's party went over well, and I was hopeful that John might have hosted one as well. Maybe next spring / summer.

These events are fantastic for meeting people with similar interests. I can't say enough positive things about the work our two hosts have put in so far.

-Chris
Old 23rd December 2011, 08:37 PM   #326
Lo_Tse is offline Lo_Tse  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatech View Post
Hi Fellas,
Well, I missed that one. I'm looking forward to some more get togethers once the weather warms up I guess. Sounds like Andrew's party went over well, and I was hopeful that John might have hosted one as well. Maybe next spring / summer.

These events are fantastic for meeting people with similar interests. I can't say enough positive things about the work our two hosts have put in so far.

-Chris
I missed the last one too due to some unforeseen circumstances. Yeah, I cannot agree more, these gethering are really great. Really looking forward to the next one. I remembered John hosted one meeting some years ago in January/February and it got "snowed out", kind of.

Lo-tse
Old 24th December 2011, 01:31 AM   #327
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatech View Post
Hi Fellas,

-Chris
Thanks Chris, yes missed you at the meet, Im sure there will be more. Have a Merry christmas to all...
Old 1st February 2012, 07:53 PM   #328
diyAudio Moderator

Well, it's a new year and warm weather is off in the distance. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again.

I think John was intending to host another event - I'd like that. Most of you seem to be into speaker systems with a few people working on electronic equipment. Lot's to investigate.

What would you say that we "pop the hood" on a few things and discuss how the build was approached? It would be a learning experience for some of us, and just maybe demystify the idea of building equipment. It would not be a critique at all, and no one should feel badly about their build. Look at it this way, at the very least you did construct something with your hands, and it works. Even if something doesn't work, other eyes might just solve the problem.

-Chris
Old 2nd February 2012, 10:15 PM   #329
diyAudio Member

Hi Anatec, sure if there is another event i would like to attend,again, the last events were fun and made some fast freinds with like interests. love to see any new developments on equipment and such. Dieter and i have been working togeter on some projects since meeting at John's,so the club has been very helpfull, many thanks to the organizers.Cheers
Old 3rd February 2012, 03:06 AM   #330
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Andrew,
I can't disagree. If these events bring people together, they are well worth attending. Hopefully this will appeal to a wider audience. I know there is another mod in the area ...

-Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!