Southern Ontario diyFEST - Page 22 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Clubs & Events

Clubs & Events Audio related organizations and events

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th May 2011, 12:25 AM   #211
Lo_Tse is offline Lo_Tse  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatech View Post
Well everyone, it sounds like this is coming off just fine. I'll do my best to be there, and if anyone wants to hitch a ride ... Shouldn't be a problem. My wife's dad is in the hospital now and it's serious. That's about the only thing that might sink my plans (then I may need a ride!). One car, and it's a small one.

If any of you are left out due to distance, another meet somewhere else might be an idea. I would do my best to make that as well.

I don't think it's critical to have something to show. No need for anyone to bow out 'cause they don't have a toy - yet. DIY isn't for everyone and a kit can provide just as much satisfaction for some people. Or, store bought works too. I think the best part of this will be meeting everyone. Hmm, and eating of course!

-Chris

I cannot agree more! Even with no toys to show, we can just get together and chat about DIY audio stuffs (current projects, future projects, abandoned projects, whatever). It will be fun.

Lo_tse
Old 20th May 2011, 02:54 AM   #212
diyAudio Member

Default NAB takeup reels wanted

I'm desperately trying to track down a few 10-1/2" NAB style metal reels for 1/4" wide recording tape for a nice two channel deck I recently inherited. They have the large 3'ish inch hole in the center. Anyone with some of these to spare and maybe even some tape on them and also planning to attend this meet shud contact me off list. rcavictim (at) gmail (dot) com. Thanx!
On April 01,2012, my radioastronomy Project TARGET SETI search succeeded. The signal came via extradimensional subspace, not radio waves. I now get a lot of 'visitors'. I took my avatar pic of one friend watching me in my work yard from just 20 ft. away.
Old 20th May 2011, 01:15 PM   #213
jscelo is offline jscelo  Canada
diyAudio Member

It is great to see that there is sufficient interest to have this meet at my place. To reiterate Anatech-if you have nothing to bring,do not worry about. The main thing will be to meet people and talk about our hobby.And listen to a bit of music. Do not forget to pm me for directions.I am looking forward to seeing you and it should be fun. This first meeting will hopefully be an incentive to do this more often-we have to start somewhere. Regards-John.
Old 20th May 2011, 01:49 PM   #214
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Anatech can bring a couple of Carver cubes to work on while he's there. He does great work and it's simply fascinating to watch him.
Old 20th May 2011, 03:25 PM   #215
jscelo is offline jscelo  Canada
diyAudio Member

I did not realize there were any of these Carver cubes around still-never saw one in the flesh.Regards.
Old 20th May 2011, 06:33 PM   #216
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Darn, just lost my entire post. ****!

There are some Carver M-400's around, but they are very involved to take apart. They can't be run while apart either. Adcom GFA-1a's are around as well, and they sound good once serviced properly. I often see the traces destroyed on both of these due to poor servicing and a lack of care. Output transistor sockets also tend to get broken for the same reasons. If you want to see any apart, you'll either have to see them here or settle for pictures.

Hiya Rob,
Quote:
I'm desperately trying to track down a few 10-1/2" NAB style metal reels for 1/4" wide recording tape
Me too! I need a pair since I may get tape in pancakes. Flanges are not included with those.

It'll be good to finally meet you in person.

Hi Ray,
I may need a ride with you if you can swing it. Maybe Gareth (bigun) can make it too, if he meets here.

I think this would be a great way to get people together. Later meetings should be easier then since the ice would have been broken. All you need to have is some interest in audio. Interest in DIY or even kits would make the hobby a richer (and less expensive - NOT!) hobby. No interest in solder fumes? 'sokay, come along.

Beer. Nice and Dark? Anyone tried Waterloo Dark? So far it's my #1 pick, although various English Bitters are really good too. One will generally do me for a day - I'm a cheap date.

Hey John,
Can you please give me a reminder on the Thursday or Friday before the meet please? I have trouble keeping track of time these days and I'm afraid of missing the event.

-Chris
Old 20th May 2011, 11:39 PM   #217
diyAudio Member

Anatech, you are welcome to a ride. Bigun as well. I'm going to opt for my wife's civic so it should be a frugal jaunt up to Barrie.

TBH I need someone to talk to me about how I can understand circuits more so having you captive in the car might be quite beneficial. I can read circuit diagrams fairly well, I just don't have the math to work out the very basic hows and whys of it. So far I've been the kid who builds all his lego according to the instructions.
Old 21st May 2011, 02:55 AM   #218
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Ray,
Sure, I'll talk your ear off. I can't promise anything intelligent will come out though. Civic will be fine.

Thank you very kindly as well. At least now I know I can make it for sure.

-Chris
Old 21st May 2011, 12:43 PM   #219
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hey, if this 11 June then I should be town and so this is a possibility. Heck, maybe by then it will finally be summer !
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 26th May 2011, 02:01 PM   #220
diyAudio Member

Does anyone have measurement equipment? I'd love to get a reading on my speakers.

Hide this!Advertise here!