Southern Ontario diyFEST - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Clubs & Events

Clubs & Events Audio related organizations and events

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2010, 10:05 PM   #121
diyAudio Member

Default Southern Ontario diyFEST

I do not have a PayPal account, but more than willing to pay the $10 or more when I am there to meet all the other people for this DIY meet. Need to know the new location and time of the meet to be able to make arrangement to show up???.
Old 7th November 2010, 02:30 PM   #122
JimT is offline JimT  Canada
diyAudio Member

AudioLapDance,

Sorry but as it has changed from a meet and greet lunch to a hardware show, I am reconsidering attending. I would have dragged my butt down to meet people and talk to them. I had to be near the restaurant that day anyway, and the restaurant food looked interesting. All the stars lined up for that one. I understand that people were still deciding what to do and things can change. The new plan does not have the stars quite so well aligned and I'm not a big fan hardware shows. Sorry, but I expect you will have to count me out. I do hope you all have fun.

Thanks
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioLapDance View Post
Hey:

anatech
JimT
mill23bay
Top Shelf
454Casull??
driftwood??
jpechloe
thefragger
rcavictim

Do you guys have PayPal? If so, send $10 CND to raypalmer at:

Hawks In Finland Inhabit Withered Elms So Th@ Gulls Must Angle In Leagues . Common Option Mainstay

If not, post and we'll cover for ya.

Let's get this dog barking!

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 7th November 2010, 04:32 PM   #123
diyAudio Member

UPDATE:

As of now mill23, Lapdance and Jaimo have endorsed this meet. I have spoken with Jaimo and I'm moving on reserving the Hall. Obviously the man I need to speak to is not reachable today but assuming no one has plucked the hall out from under us in the past few days everything should be good.

I am shooting the rent the hall for Saturday the 27th in the afternoon. Obviously if evening is all I can get it will be for the evening.

If however the 27th is a no-go I'm going to go ahead and try for the 28th (Sunday) in the afternoon.

If anyone has any concerns about any of this please post it here or PM me.

With regards to the meet. Jaimo has pointed out it might help to see who wants to bring/see what.

Jaimo has some P.A. Horns which could be used as a high-sensitivity reference pair.

I have:
-Remote Controlled Passive Linestage (see JD50)
-One pair of BR Floorstanders that are embarassingly poorly finished
-LM3886 Monoblocks
-A Pro-Ject Xpression III
-And if absolutely needed I can bring my phonostage but it is quite bland.

I also have an interesting little turret board for a tube amp I'm halfway through.

Also, is there interest in having a little swapmeet? I do have a few bits and pieces lying about.

So if there's anything you want to show please let us know! If you don't have anything don't worry it doesn't matter!
Old 8th November 2010, 03:38 PM   #124
diyAudio Member

Default diyFEST

I'm ok with a swap meet, I have stuff to trade or sell. Sat. or Sun. is fine with me. I have a Crown IC150A that has been recapped and OP amps changed out, a old Crown D60, and a pair of Advent with Legend woofers for a "let me know what it sounds like" listening test. For a cd player, I have a walkman type to play some tunes. Cheap but it may sound ok.
Peter C.
Old 8th November 2010, 09:17 PM   #125
diyAudio Member

Okay big update here. I spoke with the man from the Navy Hall. ...And I should point out that he seems very old and always has the television up very loud in the background... Anyway there is still an opening for the evening on the 27th but the other section of the hall has a function with a DJ. He said it wouldn't be very loud, but then when I explained what we would be doing he seemed less sure.

The Sunday of the 28th there's something... I couldn't catch what so we can't go then.

I didn't book it just yet because I'm thinking noise pollution is potentially a dealbreaker.

Question, should we forge ahead or should we push the date back?
Old 8th November 2010, 10:02 PM   #126
diyAudio Member

Hmmm ... that sounds like a deal breaker!

I take it the other section of the hall isn't acoustically isolated from our side. Crud, can't do much auditioning with D.J. sound spilling in ...
Those are my thoughts, others can chime in ...

If we cancel the Gear Listening Session I'd still be up for the original Lunch and Solder Burns Stories (and maybe some visual showing off of diy gear)

What say the others ...

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 8th November 2010, 10:17 PM   #127
diyAudio Member

Default new date for diyFEST

How about holding out for a better hall? If it goes in Dec. can get to close to xmas, some may wait till 2011 if it is better suited. What happens to the funds put in by some members?
Peter C.
Old 8th November 2010, 10:57 PM   #128
diyAudio Member

the funds shall be returned, I'd just like to hear from one or two more people.
Old 9th November 2010, 12:46 AM   #129
diyAudio Member

Default Southern Ontario Diyfest

Under the circumstances it is probably better to find a new venue and postpone the get together to an other date, as it turned out I was at this point not able to attend because my better half has invited some friends of ours for dinner.

I certainly would love to attend at any time a DIY meeting.
Old 9th November 2010, 02:03 AM   #130
Jaimo is offline Jaimo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Navy Vets Hall

The two areas are adjacent to each other and there's a half wall separating the two spaces. A loud DJ will kill our meet.

Let's look for a different venue. I will ask around in the meantime...

Hide this!Advertise here!